BBC iPlayer not loading on Panasonic TV

radiorail

Novice Member
Over 3 weeks since the Pana. update and I have been able to use iPlayer and also record off air without problem. Looks like the (eventual) fix fixed it. Shame that Panasonic did not indicate the need for a factory reset in their instructions, and a bummer that one is needed as it requires all personalised settings to be re-entered.

Far Out

Novice Member
I can confirm that my TX-50DX802B is now getting iPlayer. You will need to update to system version 3.280 and then do a 'factory reset'. Working fine for three weeks now.

Spent 10 months without iPlayer. Nice to have it back. Very handy.

Jules

Groaner

Novice Member
Hi All
Appologies if I should be on the 55EZ952 forums but I think you all have pretty similar symptoms to me.
Had the set almost 2 weeks, fabulous upgrade from my beloved TH-50PZ81 Plasma.
About a week ago, iplayer, red button, some Freeview Play all stopped working (loading). I'm not sure whether this follow ed me fitting a 2TB HD or when I 'created an IPlayer account' but from reading your forum I feel one of these was the issue.
Of course I can't access my 'Account' from any device other than the TV which won't let me load it so I'm a little stuck.
I should point out that whe n I opened my iPlayer account I chose the 'safe', non beta option.
I'm happy to reset to the factory settings but slightly concerned that I'll be able to re use the hard drive (had this experience some time ago on my TX L32DT 30 hard drive after a reset).
Apart from this I can't complain, I bought the set for the picture not it's Smartness, and that's great.
Any advice or should I just wait and hope?
Cheers All

radiorail

Novice Member
I'm happy to reset to the factory settings but slightly concerned that I'll be able to re use the hard drive (had this experience some time ago on my TX L32DT 30 hard drive after a reset).

Cheers All
Hi, What happened for me (TX-65DX902B) was that the SW /FW update did not appear to fix or change anything until Panasonic said that for the SW/FW to occur a Factory Reset was required.

Like you I was concerned that it may scramble the hard drive ID & encoding but it seemed that was the only option so I bit the bullet and completed a factory restore.

Of course I lost all my carefully selected settings and account details for Netflix etc. and my previously entered BBC account login. BUT iPlayer was now working as was the hard drive I had previously connected and all the previous recording.

Can't say if the same would occur on your set but it seems that it may be your only option.

nobbyclark

I have done a factory reset many times on this TV and the hard disk has survived every time, unlike my settings, passwords etc. Fingers crossed, iPlayer has been stable since the update and last reset, but I am avoiding the 4K beta as that seems to be the precursor to it not working any more.

Groaner

Novice Member
Thanks radiorail and nobbyclark, excellent advice.
Reset to factory settings this morning, worked painlessly. IPlayer and Freeview Play now working and no problem with HDD recorder.
As you say just all the preferences and logins to cope with....glad I hadn't had the set calibrated!
But, as has been mentioned previously, why is this info on the need for a reset not available from Panasonic (perhaps in the 'Notifications screen?') or on the iPlayer site? It appears to affect a number of devices.

newtonz

Novice Member
Fingers crossed it looks as though the latest updates/reset have solved the issue, for my TX-65CX802 at least. This includes using my USB HDD, which retained its recordings intact.

nobbyclark

I've had a couple of non-recordings since the update. My external hard disc goes to sleep when it's not accessed for a while. Most of the time, the TV seems to wake it up to make a recording, but a couple of times it has failed to do so. Also, when you select a programme in the future, it gives you the option to record it. Once, over the weekend, this option was not offered and the drive had to be turned off and on. It is possibly a drive fault, but it's a bit coincidental that it's started happening since the update.

Daddy Buck

Novice Member
Well, well. I finally find lots of others with same problem. My 40 inch 802B has not loaded any BBC apps (news, sport, i-player etc.) since about mid 2017. Same problem with More 4. This device did work fine prior to that and my external HDD was also fine. The HDD occasionally just can't be accessed and I have to power OFF the TV and unplug the USB. I can't say I've noticed adding the HDD coincided with losing BBC apps. Anyway, Re start TV and it comes back with full recordings and browser (which is poor to say the least!) fully intact - gulp! Mrs Strictly would not have been pleased.
However, despite uninstalling the i-player app (which I can do so not sure why other Panny owners can't?), and reinstalling it, the good old Bee'b service doesn't load and the red button is just not responsive. I haven't checked current s/w build number but it's interesting that some of you have succeeded in a modicum of success by factory reset.
I'm not too confident as I've tried complete power downs before but not for extended periods.
I'll give this a try and post back the result.

Hmm. Searching for this thread again reveals other manufacturers sets have the same problem. Is the BBC the common factor here? I'd say so

WHarkin

Novice Member
Hi there,
Firsty thanks to everyone for posting here about this. Im staying with my in-laws for Christmas and have been trying to resolve this for them.
I'm not sure this will work for everyone or for very long but currently I have iplayer working consistently well.
I started by resetting the TV and changed it to wireless rather than wired, the fault persisted.
Frustrated I switched Back to the wired connection and since then it's worked perfectly.
As I say not sure this will work for everyone but so far so good:).

nobbyclark

However, despite uninstalling the i-player app (which I can do so not sure why other Panny owners can't?), and reinstalling it
Out of interest, how do you uninstall iPlayer? I have never found anywhere to do this. Fingers crossed, mine is behaving since the last update/reset but would be good to know for the future.

Daddy Buck

Novice Member
Out of interest, how do you uninstall iPlayer?
I'm sorry guys. I rechecked this and now it seems that "option" no longer exists for iPlayer (and a bunch of others too). Interestingly, BBC Sport 'does' still have the option.
I know for sure it was originally available for the iPlayer app. Just maybe it is a one shot but I can't really believe that. Or, with an OTA update, it has deleted functions from some applications.
For instance, I can't see it for More4, the ITV player or the 5? Something (I forget). Interestingly, all the apps that won't load for me!! I have never factory reset so maybe that would restore the uninstall for all apps.
If you can see this icon here's how to do it.
Go to Apps. Cursor over to highlight the App, select OPTION from the remote. On those that can be uninstalled you will also see the bin icon with the word uninstall below it.

Daddy Buck

Novice Member
TX - 40C208b history:
2015 model bought Xmas 2015.
NOT HDR capable.
Mid 2017 iPlayer started not loading.
About same time I tried the 4k iPlayer beta as pushed by the app. It was superb. Maybe the ideal subject but I'd agree with other comment on this thread that my plug in "Panasonic" 4k & Blu-ray can't match it for resolution (the iPlayer app within it).
Date unknown but I've had just one software update OTA for the TV which I applied. iPlayer has not worked since and ITV Player is same.
As you see above I got fed up with a smart TV that basically isn't. When my lovely old Pioneer DVD player died on 23 December I rushed out and bought the panny 4k smart player - which doesn't have the ITV Apps by the way. We can use iPlayer again but seems as if more Panasonic tinkering has led to differences in use. We can't see frame previews below the timeline so you have to guess where you want to forward our rewind to. On my boy's Xbox the same app can show the frames.
Currently on 3.25 f/w and nothing higher offered.
Sick of it really.
Never tried the reset option as I don't want the bother of restoring settings.

mattbianco9

Novice Member
Hello. Great news. On a whim , tried iPlayer last night and it loaded! Before - since the latest Panasonic SW upgrade - the screen showed an attempt to connect, but then blackness. Yesterday it showed - connected - then the BBC iPlayer logo and then the range of programmes. I had been using a Panasonic DVD player to go to APPS as a workaround, but now I can revert to just using the TV. Don't know what changed. I did try using Red Button on the TV to look a local news, but that's probably a red herring (ahem).

Suze

Novice Member
hi - I have joined you just to discuss this issue. It's the first time it's happened to me in over three years with the product. I see the thread is pretty old now, but obviously the issue is not resolved!

So far I have checked the software as advised - that was up-to-date anyway (veriosn 3.252)
Trying to do a factory re-set has stopped me, cos following the system menus through my handset doesn't take me to anything that says factory re-set.
Any idea where it might be hiding for me to try this solution? Thanks, Suze

Suze

Novice Member
So far I have checked the software as advised - that was up-to-date anyway (veriosn 3.252)
Trying to do a factory re-set has stopped me, cos following the system menus through my handset doesn't take me to anything that says factory re-set.
Any idea where it might be hiding for me to try this solution? Thanks, Suze
Ha - answering my own question in case anyone else is stuck on this - following the path suggested on help lines the button that does FACTORY RESET is called SHIPPING CONDITION in my menu. Obvious, eh?

nobbyclark

Hi, go to the System Menu and select 'Shipping Condition'.

Suze

Novice Member
Thanks guys - I did actually work that out for myself, eventually - but it's not obvious! the good news is that this HAS re-set my iplayer (for now) .. phew

nobbyclark

It is frustrating. I had to do it 3 or 4 times when this problem first occurred. Fingers crossed, it's been stable now for almost a year.

TrevorPhil

Novice Member
Hi. For some unknown reason, this has started happening to my TX-40CX680B. I open the iPlayer app and it just hangs. I have tried things that have been suggest in this thread but with no joy. Anyone else find it has started happening?

nobbyclark

Does the 'Loading' icon appear and spin but never actually finish loading? That was the symptom on mine. Wasn't fixed until Panasonic issued a patch a while ago. You might want to submit a case to Panasonic and the BBC. Also look on the BBC site as they may have some info for your specific model.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton