BBC iPlayer not loading on Panasonic TV

Ruskin

Novice Member
For me at least, this seems to be the common link for when I get this problem. IPlayer worked fine when I first got the TV (58DX802B). When they introduced the beta with 4k Blue Planet, it worked when you watched the footage but as soon as you closed it down and tried to restart it, you would get a blank screen. I have reset to factory settings several times but every time it lasts a few watches before it refuses to load again, and usually after you have played around with something 4k. Was hoping that either the BBC or Panasonic would have worked out how to fix it by now.
What's even more annoying, is that when you watch a BBC programme now, it displays 'Press button to watch this from the start', which of course tries to load iPlayer, so it doesn't work.
Reset is not a fix. Don't expect Panasonic or the BBC to fix the problem. Either buy a set top box or contact the ombudsman and see if they can help. I'm afraid we have bought a product which is not fit for purpose?

Mart1nshaw

Standard Member
I was going to just withhold my custom from Panasonic. They are hopelessly uncommunicative but seem to have sorted out iPlayer on my 3 year old TV. It was not working until 2 or 3 months ago and now it is reliable, as before.
On another device the BBC app was called "alien BBC" which gives a clue as to what the progammers thought of the BBC. Not all the blame can be laid at Panasonic's door.

Last edited:

nobbyclark

How have they managed to fix it?

Mart1nshaw

Standard Member
Don't know - but it has been working for a couple of months now. Sorry not to be any help but it's nothing I have done.

nobbyclark

Mine is still hosed. Reluctant to do yet another reset as it takes so much time to get everything back to how I want it, especially with the external AV system. So frustrating as iPlayer works fine on a Panasonic UHD player, PS3, iPad, PC etc.

TrevorPhil

Novice Member
The iPlayer app on my 40CX680 seems to be fine now. Judging by the UI, there seems to have been some sort of update. I just waited and didn't touch a thing. Very peculiar

radiorail

Novice Member
Received notification from BBC today that Panasonic have released a firmware update for my TV (Viera TX-65DX902B) FW version 3280. Downloaded it and installed in TV, update went OK TV reporting 3.280 in use but still no iPlayer! Not happy Panasonic. Over a year and you still can't fix this.

Has anyone else used this update and successfully restored iPlayer operation recently?

Edit: Have just tried iPlayer access from inside the Browser, previously that did not work. It now half works! everything, including sound, but no picture. Do the Panasonic software guy's even bother to test across the platforms they are writing updates for?

How can an a multinational technology company get into this mess with their products? To take over a year to fix a very repeatable error, then to only half fix it is astounding.

Last edited:

mattbianco9

Novice Member
Hi, Please can I ask if anyone else is experiencing this issue? We have a Panasonic TX-55CX802B. Its about 18 months old. Approximately every week I have to complete a factory reset in order to get BBC iPlayer to load. All other apps and services (Freeview, Netflix etc) work as intended. When we select iPlayer we get a black screen, a loading wheel and then a black screen.

Quite frustrating, I seem to have spent the last 6 months factory resetting and then re configuring my tv just to fix this issue. iPlayer works in the rest of the home network just not on this tv. We have logged the issue with Panasonic who say it is an iPlayer issue. Logged with iPlayer on-line support twice. No response yet. We have also logged this with John Lewis who sold us the set. They inform me that, despite the 5 year warranty, they will only take a return if the actual physical tv is broken. They do not cover software or application issues with the tv. This is equally frustrating given that the amount of software in a modern 'Smart' tv.

It would be great to hear if anyone else is experiencing this and if you have found a way to fix it?

mattbianco9

Novice Member
Received notification from BBC today that Panasonic have released a firmware update for my TV (Viera TX-65DX902B) FW version 3280. Downloaded it and installed in TV, update went OK TV reporting 3.280 in use but still no iPlayer! Not happy Panasonic. Over a year and you still can't fix this.

Has anyone else used this update and successfully restored iPlayer operation recently?

Edit: Have just tried iPlayer access from inside the Browser, previously that did not work. It now half works! everything, including sound, but no picture. Do the Panasonic software guy's even bother to test across the platforms they are writing updates for?

How can an a multinational technology company get into this mess with their products? To take over a year to fix a very repeatable error, then to only half fix it is astounding.
Panasonic s/w update on 31 July installed OK (automatically) and notice received from BBC to say this update resolved the iPlayer problem. But it has not, this on a 40 inch CX800.
Has anyone found it successful?

normwag

Novice Member
i also got the update but still no iplayer.ive also done yet another factory reset so i will be checking daily to see if iplayer remains on ! Bbc say take it up with panasonic.

radiorail

Novice Member
Panasonic s/w update on 31 July installed OK (automatically) and notice received from BBC to say this update resolved the iPlayer problem. But it has not, this on a 40 inch CX800.
Has anyone found it successful?
TX-65DX902B - Have just spoken to Panasonic about this mess. Apparently the update to 3.280 was NOT to fix iPlayer, so the BBC gave us false hope. I made it clear to Panasonic that they need to sort the mess out starting with a Press Release giving the whole story and what they are doing. During the conversation there was an inference that if I was really 'troubled' 'maybe' they could send me an external device to get iPlayer working (Amazon Fire-stick) - I declined to go that route (I already have devices) and made it clear that I would prefer a solution that allowed me to use the facilities and remote control of the TV I bought. Panasonic undertook to 'get back to me'.

One change I did notice is that while the iPlayer APP does not load iPlayer now loads in the TV Browser BUT only sound plays no video, but the still snapshots in the timeline do show - anyone else got similar situation?

normwag

Novice Member
thanks for your note.I too can use a firestick and a sky tv box for iplayer but it should be sorted by panasonic.I followed up with the update by yet another factory reset which has now been working for 3 WHOLE days but I dont hold much hope that it will last.I will also give panasonic a call. Keep in touch....

LozzaS

Standard Member
Same here, took the update and issue not fixed but resolved after a factory reset. But from what I have read a factory reset would fix it anyway even if it's only a temporary fix.

It may be purely my eyesight but I seem to get a much clearer picture when using the app built into the TV. I only have a BT box but the iPlayer seems much lower resolution even with best quality ticked. I didn't want to install iPlayer on my PS4 Pro but that might have a better picture as it puts out a 4k/HDR image so assume some scaling might take place not done by the BT box.

But my point being I want to use the TV not another device.

My set is a 58DX802B

Breaking Dad

I've given up trying to use the iplayer via my 902b and access it through a youview recorder. I also find it extraordinary that a company the size of Panasonic, who have such a good reputation in the TV market place could make such a hash of this fairly straight forward application. Its not as though iplayer is something new?

radiorail

Novice Member
TX-65DX902B - Have just spoken to Panasonic about this mess. Apparently the update to 3.280 was NOT to fix iPlayer, so the BBC gave us false hope.
Update today, I received email from Panasonic correcting their advice that 3.280 was not to fix iPlayer it was according to 'an internal source' intended to fix iPlayer. In my case it has not, so I have bounced it back. It seems there is much left and right hand not being in sync on this matter. What has changed is that iPlayer can be loaded on the TV browser and programmes selected, they play with audio and no picture however.

Would be interested to know if other have applied 3.280 on DX range of TVs and if it has made iPlayer work?

Dodgexander

The update won't be what is fixing it if it does. It will be resetting the TV that does.

Until you use anything to do with recording again, then it will likely break.

I had this problem on my DX902 and I don't anymore since I haven't touched anything to do with recording live TV using the built in tuner.

nobbyclark

Got the notice from the BBC as well and TV reports it has the latest firmware but still no iPlayer.

normwag

Novice Member
Make sure you also do a factory reset. This is not mentioned by Panasonic but I found it had to be done after the update. Mine has been working ok for 3 weeks now.

byassdiggs

Novice Member
Hi

My software version appears to be stuck on 3.251. If I try and update through the tv it tells me it's up to date. If I download 3.280 to a USB it says it cannot read media file 0003. I'm stuck, any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

whatevers

Novice Member
I updated to 3.280 for DX50802B and still no iplayer. Phoned Panasonic and was told to do factory reset but choose iplayer Beta when you load iplayer then go to settings to choose Beta.

This has been working since the Panasonic software update was available to manually download via BBC iplayer (3+ weeks)

I have also been recording with catch up TV and my own USB recorder.

Its still working!

Hope this helps someone?

Owlly

I updated to 3.280 for DX50802B and still no iplayer. Phoned Panasonic and was told to do factory reset but choose iplayer Beta when you load iplayer then go to settings to choose Beta.

This has been working since the Panasonic software update was available to manually download via BBC iplayer (3+ weeks)

I have also been recording with catch up TV and my own USB recorder.

Its still working!

Hope this helps someone?
When you say my own USB recorder is that an external hard drive connected to one of the TV’s powered USB ports. As I had TV powered external hard drive that eventually started to play up due to conflict with Iplayer which then stopped working.

nobbyclark

Guess I'll have to bite the reset bullet yet again

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 2nd December 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Klipsch announces four Cinema soundbars for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Connect 250 streaming amp to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces XR series Hi-Fi products
  • By Andy Bassett