BBC iPlayer heads to Archos

You have to download to your PC first then copy the files across to the Archos.

You have to download to your PC first then copy the files across to the Archos.

You can also stream files downloaded from Sky Player to Archos. Not sure if anyone's done this already but I've just been playing around with my new 605 40gb today. I download the file, then play it briefly in Windows Media Player to acquire the license, then it streams perfectly to my Archos. Won't play if you copy the file to the Archos though, which is a shame.

EDIT: No longer streaming iPlayer and Sky Player videos. The sound is well out of sync for some reason, a good few seconds ahead. Any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Yes, pity the PC has to remain in the loop, but it is still a good step forward.

What's the picture quality like, with TV Out?

It's not something I'd choose to watch for enjoyment once you send it back to a large screen TV, but on the Archos itself it is perfectly watchable.

I'm having trouble with this on my 605. Tried two ways. First straight to the Archos but the trouble is that in the 'save as' bit my pc won't show the achos as an option (even though if I click on 'my computer' I can see all of my files).

Second, I saved to my desktop and then transfered but the error message I got was 'requires special content protection' with the option to skip or cancel. Tried both, but nothing. Any ideas?
Thanks

Make sure you are downloading the 'mobile' version of the file and then drag and drop it to the Archos rather than try to sync it.

Playing it for a few seconds using WMP will ensure it has the licence, I've also seen reports that the licence will be collected if you have wi-fi connected on the Archos when you first play the file.

Thanks for that, it all worked perfectly though it took me a bit of time to work it out. To recap for others:

1. Click to Play the programme in I Player
2. Put your mouse over the download icon at the bottom right side
3. Double Cick the 'For media palyers'
4. This downloads it to your pc
5. Play the file on your pc. I think at this stage it goes away and imports some digital rights stuff.
6. After it plays, close it and drag and drop onto your 605 Archos.
7. Watch it
I assume it deletes the file when the number of days you are allowed is reached.

Would I be correct in assuming that will not work with the older non internet connected Arcos (mine is an AV700)?

Try it and see, you'll probably find it does work as there is no need for internet connectivity on the Archos itself.

Tried playing a downloaded programme on 605 WiFi.
Message says "Cannot play video! No License found for this file!!
Any ideas?
Thanks
Phil

I tried downloading a Iplayer WMV file (and played it to access DRM) and copied across to the Arrchos - however when I go to videos, I cannot see the file; despite the fact that I can see the file on my laptop when I plug it in via usb. ANy ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom