BBC iPlayer App for iPhone is Launched

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Not usually ones to drag their heels, especially when it comes to getting iPlayer launched on a multitude of platforms, the BBC has just announced the launch of an official iPlayer app for iPhone. The recently launched iPad app has already seen one and half million installations, whilst one for Android devices has clocked up 1.2 million downloads. Any guesses on the numbers for iPhone?

attachment.php

The app for iPhone and iPod is available to download in the Apple App Store now and is compatible with iPod touch or iPhone 3GS and above, running iOS4.3 and above. There's some neat little touches such as the 'live channel switcher' allowing users to flick between channels and a tap on the ‘Live Channels’ button will enable the ability to see - and easily switch to - another broadcast.

The app is compatible with Apple AirPlay. If you are running iOS5, you can connect your iPhone or iPod touch to Apple TV and watch your favourite programme. All the Beeb's national radio stations available and they can be listened to in the background whilst you get on with other tasks.

3G streaming is enabled in the iPhone and iPad apps and will shortly be coming to the mobile web version of BBC iPlayer for all supported devices but devices older than iPhone 3GS and iPhones and iPod touches that continue to access the mobile web version, will remain a Wi-Fi only service.

The BBC have been busy in trying to improve the playback experience on portable devices and have rolled out HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) video infrastructure for the apps, utilising adaptive bitrate technologies. It allows the BBC to monitor the connection strength and attempts to send the appropriate quality video feed to match, a la Silverlight.

For more info go to bbc.co.uk/iplayer in your phone's browser..

iP iP Ooray! Oh dear.

Attachments

• iplayer.jpg
    iplayer.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 430

fayeanddavid

Distinguished Member
And it seems to work!!

Excellent............

MarkyMark70

Just tried this last night and it doesn't seem to have the 'Air Play' icon to link to my Apple TV. (I use 'Air Play' all the time, so quite familiar with how it works). What am I missing? Anyone else had any luck finding the 'Air Play' icon in the new app?
Thanks, Mark

EDIT:
Just spotted this via Google - will try tonight when I get home...
http://www.fabricoffolly.com/2011/12/how-to-get-airplay-working-on-bbc.html

Hi, just a quick update... I tried the suggestions in the link above and it all works fine - I hope that helps someone else. My son is currently enjoying "In the Night Garden" :)

Last edited:

samhain

I watch a strictly clip and it was awful quality blocky and pixelatted as hell

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom