BBC inundated with complaints about coverage of Prince Philip's death.

Yes forlorn is a good word. My heart broke a little for her. She looked like she needed a hug.

It took me ages to work out the chapel, it looked odd. Had they taken out the pews that would normally have been used by the congregation or is St Georges Windsor alays acres of stone flags and empty space? I had never noticed that about it before.
I believe there are quite a number buried in that floor, hence the open spaces.
The stained glass windows are beautiful.

Had they taken out the pews that would normally have been used by the congregation or is St Georges Windsor alays acres of stone flags and empty space? I had never noticed that about it before.
Yes, the chairs that would normally be in the Nave were removed. The Queen and party were in the quire (east of the screen) where the choir would traditionally be.

Oh. Thanks for the info. We didn't watch any of it anyhow. We've been in the Garden all afternoon. We only came in because our youngest, who is 2, fell in the paddling pool. Her screams could probably be heard all over the street.
You could watch the highlights or the whole thing on BBC player, it’s worth it, such a beautiful ceremony, music and service.

Seeing the pictures of her on her own, looking so vulnerable, its heart breaking and reminds me of all those who have lost their life partners over the past year.

I thought the whole thing was beautiful and moving.The troops , bands were perfect. How dignified were the soldiers carrying his coffin, and what a feat of strength, as they paused for the silence on the steps. The horses being there, and the carriage seat with his gloves etc were very poignant. The music was so moving, especially Nimrod. The choir was glorious. Did they show the coffin being lowered into the catafalque? If they did, I missed it. I watched BBC- perhaps the other stains showed it. Although not a royalist, I felt emotional seeing the small, stooped lonely figure of the Queen, looking vulnerable and rather lost.
I think the coffin was lowered while the bagpipes were playing so we didn't actually see it.

The whole thing was beautiful, Windsor Castle looked amazing especially with the weather being so good. I got a bit emotional when they played I vow to thee my country and the landrover appeared. As you say, the horses were a lovely touch as well.

It was good to see William, Harry and Kate walking and chatting together as well.

It took me ages to work out the chapel, it looked odd. Had they taken out the pews that would normally have been used by the congregation or is St Georges Windsor alays acres of stone flags and empty space? I had never noticed that about it before.
From all the photos of its normal operation you'll see they don't use pews but setup folding chairs in that area when its in use. Certainly would give more flexibility as for a musical recital you see they've set it up a solid block but then for weddings they don't put the middle chairs in and so create the aisle

From all the photos of its normal operation you'll see they don't use pews but setup folding chairs in that area when its in use. Certainly would give more flexibility as for a musical recital you see they've set it up a solid block but then for weddings they don't put the middle chairs in and so create the aisle
Ahh that explains the big empty stone cavern. Thank you. Folding chairs would certainly make it easier to reconfigure. I wonder if there were ever pews - there must have been surely.

I watched it on the Royal Family's YouTube channel, as I didn't think I could stand the Beeb. No commentary before or after, just the pictures. I'm no royalist, but I was very moved, particularly when seeing Charles, and the lonely figure of the Queen, head bowed, face not visible.

The choir was sublime and the musicians (for want of a better word) were superb. All in all, a very tasteful and brilliantly-executed ceremony.

And now for endless analysis of Harry and William walking within a few yards of each other.

I never watched it, but I heard it was a lovely service. I'm glad, and glad that people who wanted to got to watch it. It is a pity we're in the midst of a pandemic but it is what it is. Plenty have had to endure the same with restricted funeral arrangements.

Now it's time to let the family mourn privately as any family would (the Royal's aren't special there) and for the nation to move on. I hope not to see any outlet dragging it on unnecessarily.

The BBC's commentary before hand was annoying... presenters asking the guests/experts etc "how will the Queen be feeling now?". Its idiotic questions and again feels like padding time (despite saying they're on a tight schedule etc).

Personally, commenting on what the flag that's draped on his coffin etc would have been more interesting than an expert predicting that a widow will be feeling sad about the loss of her husband of over 70 years.

Sorry, I didn't think. I'm watching the snooker also and it would have been a strange dynamic if a player was about to make the highest break possible and had to stop. I observed the minutes silence but think there might have been a negative reaction if the above happened.
I thought you were talking about a bus ;)

And now for endless analysis of Harry and William walking within a few yards of each other.
Did find it weird having Peter walking in the middle of them. Looked like a dad trying to keep two bickering kids from fighting each other. Seemed a bit of a strange way to organise the walking order, given how you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to realise the media are going to jump all over that.

Wonderful but sad occasion with pageantry only Britain can do. Well done to the BBC and all the people who made it happen. A truly historic occasion that because it is the monarchy she had to allow the world to see her grief. She looked so lost and alone.

Did find it weird having Peter walking in the middle of them. Looked like a dad trying to keep two bickering kids from fighting each other. Seemed a bit of a strange way to organise the walking order, given how you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to realise the media are going to jump all over that.
Especially when the media are already doing this👇 ( It's not just Piers Morgan who's doing it )

Photo 1 before all the family were seated and the coffin
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 18.53.06.png
procession had completed vs photo 2 from a few minutes later when everybody has taken their seats
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 18.52.29.png

Especially when they're already doing this
Photo 1 before all the family were seated and the coffinView attachment 1496386 procession had completed vs the photo from a few minutes later when everybody has taken their seats
View attachment 1496388
Given how seriously the Queen takes her duties and setting a good example, at all times, I'd bet she was insistent on sitting alone to squash any chance of the haters giving it all the "one rule for her and one for the rest of us!"

Given how seriously the Queen takes her duties and setting a good example, at all times, I'd bet she was insistent on sitting alone to squash any chance of the haters giving it all the "one rule for her and one for the rest of us!"
She's definitely the kind of person who is going to follow the covid rules and she's always come across as a stoic.

I haven't watched all of it yet, going to watch the service itself later but I was under the mistaken impression, from the photos circulating, that she'd been forced to sit on the opposite side of the church to her own entire family which seemed totally OTT.

Then went to look if there were other photos and found the real ones.

That was a very dignified and well done ceremony I thought - very well done by all involved. Obviously it's sad more couldn't have been done because of the restrictions, but still, a very 'good' funeral. I thought the singers in particular were excellent. It must have been so tough for the Queen, my heart goes out to her.

The BBC and Huw Edwards managed to offend the Corps of the REME today by calling the drivers of the land rover Royal Engineers.

Note for the BBC Corporal Craig French & Corporal Louis Murray are both REME not Royal Engineers.

The BBC and Huw Edwards managed to offend the Corps of the REME today by calling the drivers of the land rover Royal Engineers.

Note for the BBC Corporal Craig French & Corporal Louis Murray are both REME not Royal Engineers.

Again, much like estate agents, the bbc displays that their journo's are not qualified...Not that they have ever been so.

I think the coffin was lowered while the bagpipes were playing so we didn't actually see it.

The whole thing was beautiful, Windsor Castle looked amazing especially with the weather being so good. I got a bit emotional when they played I vow to thee my country and the landrover appeared. As you say, the horses were a lovely touch as well.

It was good to see William, Harry and Kate walking and chatting together as well.
Yes thats right. I was shown subtly but I didn't notice until I watched the replay. Initially I was distracted by the piper and how such a short distance could cause such a fading away of the sound. When we came back to the quire I wondered where the coffin had gone. I assumed it had been wheeled or carried out via the side wing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom