BBC in Germany

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Sick Note, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I live in Germany and have sky digital over here and have a couple of questions.
    When the beeb goes free are they leaving the sky platform?
    Does the tighter 2D footprint mean we ex pats wont be able to get it at all anymore?
    Come on guys chear me up:) with some good news
    Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you can pick up the ITV channels on 2D now there is no reason at this time why the BBC channels won't be available as well.
    This isn't gospel though so be prepared to invest in a larger dish or worse case go without the BBC channels.

The BBC don't know what they are doing in regards to the SKY D platfrom. Yes that are going FTA so do not require any Videoguard encryption and smartcard but the problem is they want EPG slots and to keep 101 and 102. This is an issue, the EPG slots will cost a small fortune and unless the BBC pay for some extra EPG channel/postcode matching they can't have 101 and 102 because as I understand it RTE has them for their viewers in the Republic.

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I thought I read that although they are 'leaving' Sky sat', you will still be able to receive them on a Sky setup.

4. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well thanks for the info, guess it will just be a case of wait and see and keep my fingers crossed that your ITV idea is correct cos I get those no problem

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY do not own any satellites they rent space on satellites that are owned by SES and Eutelsat, the BBC rent transponders from SES.
    The BBC currently broadcast FTV (Free To View) using SKY encryption technology whiich means you have to have a SKY didigbox and FTV smartcard to view the channels. The BBC intend to remove the encryption and broadcast FTA (Free To Air) which means no smartcard is required and the channels can then be picked up by both a SKY digibox and any other digital satellite recevier.
    The BBC want to use a part of SKY's EPG system to decide which regional BBC service UK housholds will get but that only applies to SKY Digibox users and not those who will use a FTA digital STB.