BBC IMP HD Downloads Now Working

RyanK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just downloaded The Planets in HD From BBC IMP. :clap:

Bloody Brilliant

oh wow that must be so cool, what else do they have and when are they planning to go live with the player?

Be nice if the bbc would send me the link for the player and my user name/password as I got on the program and filled in the first diary but still nothing :mad:

The people running this trial for the BBC are a bunch of incompetents. I've had nothing but trouble so far, and I still don't have the username/password or the link to the application. It's making the BBC look a little amateurish :|
Dave.

RyanK said:

Bloody Brilliant
What resolution is it in? I read that regular SD stuff is lower than PAL resolution.

StooMonster

dodgyd said:
The people running this trial for the BBC are a bunch of incompetents. I've had nothing but trouble so far, and I still don't have the username/password or the link to the application. It's making the BBC look a little amateurish :|
Dave.

Yeah - I'm still waiting for my user name and password too. There was an email a week or so ago saying they were giving access bit by bit... sounds like they are having problems.

I filled in a diary for a week, and then have heard nothing; I asusmed that I was in the 30k who got to do the diary, but not the 5k for the final test. is everyone who did the diary meant to be on the test?

The terms of the trial are, you do the diary and you get access to iMP. Simple as that.

Dave.

So what format do they use?, WMV?..is it to late to sign up?...I got a windows mobile device and I'd test the content for them....

hmm...if only I had access to their content, they have anythng decent, I could easily remove the DRM....

I finally got the application, just downloading The Planets now for viewing on the 435xde with my lounge PC, I'll let you know how it looks.
Dave.

What size is this? (and what's the run time?)

I'd love to check out some HD stuff from the Beeb. As this never aired in HD, why are they making it available to download? Are they likely then to incorporate a HD download section for other material - seems odd that this single programme has been selected.

rogeralpine said:
What size is this? (and what's the run time?)

I'd love to check out some HD stuff from the Beeb. As this never aired in HD, why are they making it available to download? Are they likely then to incorporate a HD download section for other material - seems odd that this single programme has been selected.

Did it never air in HD, or did it just not air in the UK in HD? Most of the BBC shows that are being produced in HD are aired in HD in the US or Japan - and the co-producers pay for the extra costs of HD production as part of the deal.

I suspect HD drama and HD music would have more issues in rights clearance for download, whereas documentaries don't have the same artists clearance issue. It is likely the BBC will have more comprehensive rights for docs, so can do pretty much what they like with this content?

It's 958MB and runs for 50minutes at 2713kbps. It doesn't have the characteristic sharpness of other HD content I have seen (US TV shows etc) from the 'usual' places. To be honest, it's a little disappointing though slightly sharper than conventional TV.
imp.jpg

Dave.

Just finished downloading this today and have noticed It`s only 1080x720 so It`s not even full hi def resolution. I`ve just mailed the imp team to see if they can up future HD downloads to 1280x720 and up the bit rate slightly aswell. I don`t mind a bigger file size at the end of the day, cause if they are gonna offer HD content they might aswell do it properly.

RyanK said:

Bloody Brilliant

Never heard of this till you posted the link. looks very interesting. Does this use Torrents as the transport then, or just standard server downloads? I read that the BBC were looking into torrent downloads as a way of distributing programs online.

Looks like just standard download, yet if they give everyone access to HD downloads that's going to kill them on the server/pipe front. $$$

I just seem to get errors using this site.
For example clicking on download I get "'gApi' is null or not an object"
Tried IE and Firefox.
Any suggestions?

Edit:
Just realised looking at your posts that I must have a userid/pwd. Where do I get this? Where do you find more info on how to use this, or is it just a trial available only to a few?

It is only a trial, I think it may be closed now.
Dave.

I got my sign in details and have downloaded a few things. I tried Waking the Dead, which got both parts, but the image is simply not as good as the recording of the same episodes I have on Sky+. And with that I can record to DVD, turn into a divx file and play across my ocal network on my Xbox using xbmc.

I have a Snazzio Net Cinema HD in preparation for my 506XDE, as the Xbox won't play back HD material, whereas the Snazzio will, but there is no way to get the iMp downlaods onto my TV/plasma without moving the PC that it's installed on, or using a geet big VGA lead.

When I try and playback the DRM protected files from my laptop it tells me that I can only use iMP to playback.

That essentially kills any benefit of iMP for me. I'm not going to sit in front of my PC and watch TV if I can't then use other devices in my house. Maybe the DRM licence should take my public IP or subnet into account or something, as I'm not talking about distributing the stuff, nor making it last past the built-in content expiry - just the ability to playback from another computer in another room.

Can I install the iMP player more than once but point to the same downloads directory? Hmm... I'll try that. Then I can use Laptop with iMP playback on the plasma, and leave the main PC to download the iMP files.

can anyone lend me a username/password?, I can upload some of the content so others on here can see it...DRM can be easily removed...

stevebrowne said:
I got my sign in details and have downloaded a few things. I tried Waking the Dead, which got both parts, but the image is simply not as good as the recording of the same episodes I have on Sky+. And with that I can record to DVD, turn into a divx file and play across my ocal network on my Xbox using xbmc.

I have a Snazzio Net Cinema HD in preparation for my 506XDE, as the Xbox won't play back HD material, whereas the Snazzio will, but there is no way to get the iMp downlaods onto my TV/plasma without moving the PC that it's installed on, or using a geet big VGA lead.

When I try and playback the DRM protected files from my laptop it tells me that I can only use iMP to playback.

That essentially kills any benefit of iMP for me. I'm not going to sit in front of my PC and watch TV if I can't then use other devices in my house. Maybe the DRM licence should take my public IP or subnet into account or something, as I'm not talking about distributing the stuff, nor making it last past the built-in content expiry - just the ability to playback from another computer in another room.

Can I install the iMP player more than once but point to the same downloads directory? Hmm... I'll try that. Then I can use Laptop with iMP playback on the plasma, and leave the main PC to download the iMP files.

Suprised their not working through Windows DRM , Would seem a sensible way to do it. Otherwise do CNN get their own player, ITV, SKY , where does it end.

stevebrowne said:

I tried that, I have iMP installed on my main pc and on my lounge pc.
The content that is stored on my main pc won't play on my lounge pc no matter what I try (even via the iMP player). I've got both installations pointing to the same drives (mapped in Windows) and that doesn't work either.
I think this implementation of DRM is too strict.
Dave.

On the matter of having to sit in front of the PC and use the player -

I understand this to be a reflection of the BBC's paranoia about brand.

A classic example is when you hear people use phrases like "Oh yes, I watch Eastenders on Sky".

I'll admit this is an interesting problem for them. It is similar to the fears about Google taking over the world. It must annoy people involved in IP when people say "I read on Google that...", when in fact they should say "I read an article in New Scientist..".

Just a vague example, I personally can't stand the idea of having to run up a player to watch downloaded content. Maybe a better idea would be to have a 2 second BBC logo trailer - similar to what you would get on a BBC DVD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom