BBC HLG UHD Trial - FA Cup highlights

im85288

Established Member
Reaction score
I did not see it advertised anywhere but currently on BBC iPlayer they have a HLG trial of highlights from the FA Cup quarter final game between West Brom and Southampton. Hopefully this is a sign that the World Cup will be in UHD on iPlayer.

Having just watched it (on OLED C6) it is the most amazing picture quality I have ever seen of a football game (do not have sky q or bt 4K to compare)...the whites of the shorts are so bright, even the actual colours on the ball stood out.

Amazing stuff, I’d advise everyone to give it a shot quickly as who knows how long it’ll be available.

Agreed, the new BBC HLG 'UHD test loop' is very good at displaying fast motion content. Very reassuring for future sports events :)

By-the-way... When viewing some 'live' BBC content, have you seen the prompt to 'view the programme from the start' by pressing the green button?

You have to have the TV's 'HbbTV' option enabled ;)

To me the HLG football looked very good but not noticeably better than UHD football on Sky Q, it's much better than HD though

I cant seem to find it on bbc iplayer. Have a lg c7. Just see the demo for planet earth in hlg

Edit:- It has to be in bbc iplayer beta mode, it looks amazing I must say. Especially on the close up shots of the players. Really hope the bbc do at least highlights of the world cup in uhd, live streams would be outstanding tho!

Last edited:
I've just completed the survey for this latest UHD/HLG (football) trial. BBC.in/live-uhd is the web address. I always like to complete these surveys as it helps them know where problems appear. The survey specifically asks you to state the device system information which is found in the settings in IPlayer. Might be worth doing for those who are having trouble viewing in HLG. Perhaps not the LG oleds but I'm sure there are makes of TV's out there that have supposedly had the HLG update but are unable to view in HLG. Might have been the DX900?

To me the HLG football looked very good but not noticeably better than UHD football on Sky Q, it's much better than HD though

Thanks, I would have thought the difference would have been more noticeable as I don’t think Sky Q outputs in an HDR format. It was the brightness of the whites and vividness of the colours that struck me.

Thanks, I would have thought the difference would have been more noticeable as I don’t think Sky Q outputs in an HDR format. It was the brightness of the whites and vividness of the colours that struck me.

I would have thought that a football match wouldn't be the best sort of scene to showcase HLG, green grass, crowd, players, backwards and forwards, no massive extremities in what's on the screen, I'm sure any form of HDR is better than Sky's current UHD though, it's just it didn't stand out as noticeably better to me.

I would have thought that a football match wouldn't be the best sort of scene to showcase HLG, green grass, crowd, players, backwards and forwards, no massive extremities in what's on the screen...
A whitish ball moving across a large screen is a good baseline for highlighting motion issues ;)

Looked pretty poor to me. The previous loop of planet earth was much better.

It depends on your bandwidth...if it's small, you won't get 4K resolution...eg, for me it streams at 1440p...but the Planet Earth did look better.

I take it that everyone sees the picture break up a couple of times just after the start of the second half. I think it is part of the stream itself as it happens at the same point every time and there is no buffering spinning circle present.

Jon, how do you know it is showing at 1440p for you?

I take it that everyone sees the picture break up a couple of times just after the start of the second half. I think it is part of the stream itself as it happens at the same point every time and there is no buffering spinning circle present.

Jon, how do you know it is showing at 1440p for you?

I'll get back to you on the '2nd half break up' as I only watched a few seconds.

I'm 90% sure it's 1440p as my bandwidth is around 12mbps and fits in with the table at:
Making Blue Planet II available in UHD & HDR on BBC iPlayer - BBC R&D

Also, Youtube can go up to 1440p without buffering...else 2160p constantly pauses.

Just watched some of cup final second half on iplayer beta in HLG. Looked impressive, hope the BBC give us more!

Yes I would expect an announcement at the end of the month confirming their coverage of the World Cup in UHD via the iPlayer (on certain devices).

Do we know whether the loop currently on iPlayer beta is in HDR or not? West Brom v Southampton...

I can persuade my TV to show YouTube in 4K HDR but iPlayer on this loop is not showing up as HDR.

Yes it is. As long as your display supports HLG.

So... my display is LG EF950V.

Via built in Amazon app, I get HDR. Via built in Plex app, I get HDR.

Via Roku Streaming Stick, I get YouTube HDR. Via Roku Streaming Stick, I have iPlayer beta and the UHD trial but no HDR.

Any ideas?

So... my display is LG EF950V.

Via built in Amazon app, I get HDR. Via built in Plex app, I get HDR.

Via Roku Streaming Stick, I get YouTube HDR. Via Roku Streaming Stick, I have iPlayer beta and the UHD trial but no HDR.

Any ideas?

That's because the EF950 is a much older set & thus only supports the HDR10 format.

It doesn't support the HLG format of HDR so you won't get HDR I'm afraid.

Last edited:
As far as I know LG are only supporting HLG on sets from 2016 onwards, the EF950V unfortunately is a 2015 model.

Everytime I try to watch the FA cup highlights in uhd on iPlayer I get told there is a problem

Should it just be under FA cup highlights when you search on iplayer?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom