BBC HD without SKY HD Subscription

EvertonMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone confirm if I cancel my £10 a month SKY HD subs will I still be able to receive the BBC HD and C4 HD channels (i.e Freeview HD channels) ?

Hi.
I have a Sky+ (not Sky HD) subscription and an HD box, and I get CH4 HD, BBC HD and Lux HD.

Sky will tell you that you will loose all HD services including BBC/C4HD and + facilities, don't believe them. That is what happened to me.

Hi can anyone confirm if I cancel my £10 a month SKY HD subs will I still be able to receive the BBC HD and C4 HD channels (i.e Freeview HD channels) ?

Yes!! :smashin:

Gae

When I cancelled my Sky HD sub, Sky were adamant that I would not be able to watch BBC HD. THe person I was speaking to even checked with there supervisor who also said I would not be able to watch BBC HD. Net result is that I am able to watch BBC HD and now C4 HD even though I am not paying the HD sub anymore.

Great stuff, cancelled the HD subs and sky cs said that I would not get any hd channels, I told her that on their website it stated that BBC HD was a free to air channel, she didnt believe me and asked where it said that, I told her where it was and she checked confirming it was. Dont see why I should have to pay £10 a month extra for hd channels that I am already paying for in my normal packages.

Cheers guys.

It worries me that $ky appear to be misleading customers in this manner – I assume no one has taken this to the regulator?

I am considering dropping my HD subs as there is little worth seeing other than BBC and CH4 anyway.

BBC HD has the best picture, but content is still patchy - half the time still in preview. C4HD seems to be everything on regular C4 in HD, so well worth it.

Lux is awful, but Discovery HD and History HD are well worth it if you like docs.

I assume cancelling my HD sub would mean I lose these?

I am considering dropping my HD subs as there is little worth seeing other than BBC and CH4 anyway.

You must enlighten me on what HD is worth watching on C4 HD.

Apart from a few films over Christmas they're down to two a week now!!

After Gladiator tonight, that's it 'til Thursday for anything HD!!

They don't even to appear to have bought the new series of Smallville or ER in HD.

As for BBC HD, it's now back to four hours a day, still showing the same old stuff over and over again.

Cranford starts all over again on Tuesday. Fifth time in a month!!!

BBC HD has the best picture, but content is still patchy - half the time still in preview. C4HD seems to be everything on regular C4 in HD, so well worth it.

Lux is awful, but Discovery HD and History HD are well worth it if you like docs.

I assume cancelling my HD sub would mean I lose these?

Yup,afraid so mate !

Ron

Perhaps you don't realise that BBC HD has the best picture quality as IT IS HD!!

Apart from a few films, Ugly Betty and I think one documentary, there has been nothing on 4HD in HD!!!

You must enlighten me on what HD is worth watching on C4 HD.

C4 HD beats BBC HD for films hands down. They have shown more HD films since their start than BBC HD have shown in 18 months of transmission. Having said that, BBC HD has the best HD programme content overall. :smashin: C4 HD doesn't have many programmes in HD at the moment.

Gae

C4 HD beats BBC HD for films hands down. They have shown more HD films since their start than BBC HD have shown in 18 months of transmission. Having said that, BBC HD has the best HD programme content overall. :smashin: C4 HD doesn't have many programmes in HD at the moment.

Gae

Gladiator in HD tonight 9.00pm :smashin:

Ron

When I took out sub for Setanta (my username will explain why) I enquired as to when they would be broadcasting in HD, the bloke on the other end said that they already were !! I challenged him three times as to the accuracy of his statement and he was adamant that they broadcast in HD.
If it wasn't for needing my Celtic fix then I would have nothing to do with them and their crap CS, but needs must.

Setanta really will need to get a move on if they are going HD,the quality of picture they are putting out just now is and has been from the start deplorable ! When i flick back from setanta to sky sports SD ,its like watching HD.Not a surprise though as the whole Setanta set up/back up is terrible.

Perhaps you don't realise that BBC HD has the best picture quality as IT IS HD!!

Apart from a few films, Ugly Betty and I think one documentary, there has been nothing on 4HD in HD!!!

A quick flick through the listings and using the "i" button confirms the truth. How naive of me to assume an HD channel would have HD content in it!

The best looking pictures seem to be those documentaries on BBC HD and some on Discovery HD or National Geographic. Planet Earth seems a good example.

Am I right in thinking these have been filmed with an HD camera?

Can content filmed in SD than rebroadcast as HD really be terned HD at all?

So you loose all HD channels apart from C4 and BBC1?

So you loose all HD channels apart from C4 and BBC1?

Yes, I'm afraid you lose all the other HD channels apart from LUXE HD! Due to the fact that BBC HD has lost it's way since becoming a full time channel and CH4 HD isn't broadcasting much HD material yet, those two channels only just wouldn't cut it for me. :thumbsdow

As for LUXE HD, it's not bad eye candy for those who have just bought into HD, but I can't believe anyone would watch it on a regular basis.

ATB

Max

Hi,

As a followon to this question. If I get my grubby mits on an HD box, get sky to transfer my SKY+ over to it then will I be able to record the BBC HD channel as well as being able to watch it?

If so this is great news as I want BBC HD but have no interest in watching or paying for any other HD channels.

cheers,
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom