BBC HD v Sky Sports HD (Tennis)

crazy4ker

Standard Member
Just watching the ATP World Tour Finals (currently Nadal v Berdych) and I've been flicking between BBC HD and Sky Sports 1 HD. The Sky broadcast is slightly sharper.

I wouldn't of thought that there would be such a large difference in the image quality. Do Sky have a better HD transmission than BBC? Or is it just this match?

Any thoughts - try it for yourself

BrianMc

Novice Member
I wouldn't of thought that there would be such a large difference in the image quality. Do Sky have a better HD transmission than BBC? Or is it just this match?
BBC HD has never fully recovered from its last bit-rate reduction in August 2009 - which they had hoped that "better encoders" would hide! As well as a consistently lower bitrate than Sky the BBC have always gone for 1440x1080 HD resolution (cf. Sky at 1920x1080)

wednesday83

Ive flicked though both briefly and as always Sky wins handsdown. The reason is simple - Sky broadcast at a higher resolution and has a consistantly higher bit rate. BBC HD only broadcast in sub standard 1440*1080 whilst Sky delivery at 1920*1080 which many peoples TVs are capable of.

Sadly with Danielle Nagler and Andy Quested running the BBC HD channels - things will not get better in my view - only worse.

wednesday83

Quite right sky wins hand down how can the BBC not do Full HD.
Its all because of Free view HD and the BBC not wanting to show any bias towards a particular set up. Freeview HD does not have the bandwith capacity to run a serious quality picture so because of this we all have to suffer.Its a sick joke at the lisence payers expense. Nagler and Quested who run the channel seem to be untouchable so things will not get better anytime soon.

usenetz

The BBC picture is OK for those casual viewers who aren't bothered by the lower picture quality and don't want to pay extra for pay channels.

Anyone who is serious about sport and has a high quality AV set-up should defiantly subscribe to SKY - just watching Eurosport for the Tour de France is worth the money.

RIP BBC!

john

Ragnarok

Its all because of Free view HD and the BBC not wanting to show any bias towards a particular set up.
Last time a checked the BBC channels had a slightly higher bit-rate on freeview HD which is ridiculous considering the BBC are wasting 1/3 to 1/2 of the bandwidth on the satellite transponder.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom