BBC HD Trial to be extended!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by adrian3221, Apr 26, 2007.

1. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
  2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hmm doesn't sound like it's being extended that much.

3. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Until the 21st November at least

4. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    What, end of November????

5. Johnnyg37

Johnnyg37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I find it hard to believe that, given the level of investment the BBC have already made in HD, they are going to pull the plug on it any time soon. By calling it a trial, they are exhonerating themselves from blame if, for example, the transmission system is changed and existing equipment no longer works.

I think we would have a justifiable complaint if they contuinue to make HD programmes 'solely for the overseas market'. That's if anybody cares of course.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Assuming it's passes with flying colours which it should then the "trial" aspect should be a thing of the past, we may not get a fully fledged HD channel but it will a permanent offering on both Dsat and Cable with provision on DTT for when capacity becomes available.

7. CaffeineJunkie

CaffeineJunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The BBC are not calling it a trial to be sneaky in case it all goes belly up.
    They are calling it a trial because thats what it is.

They are not allowed to go around starting up new channels left right and center like they used to.

Now they have to justify it to the BBC Trust, which is the phase they are now entering.

The trust will reach its decision by November 21st. If they say no, then thats it.

8. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137

May not be a waste. It just means that when HD is ready they have a back catalogue of material in HD already.

Really hope it does continue after the new extended trial date.

9. GregMarst

GregMarst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent news. How do we go about persuading the trust that BBC HD should pass the Public Value test?

10. raymaher

raymaher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Send them a link to this forum.

11. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I wouldn't assume it will pass the pvt with flying colours at all.I would think it be more likely to go the other way at the moment.
    These tests are put in place to ensure value for money for license the fee payer of which us HDTV early adopters are a tiny percentage.Not only that but the only way to currently get bbc hd is through premium subscription services. This effectively means that the bbc is subsidising a channel for sky/virgin media that the large majority of license fee payers can't watch.
    That is not value for money how ever you look at it.
    I hope I'm wrong but I don't see a bbc hd channel being around next year or at least until the digital switchover in 2010.

12. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Also, the Freeview trial is ending on May 31st.
    I think Ofcom and the Government have already decided what is to be done after the analogue switch off, which will affect the BBC anyway.

13. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Err, no.

BBC HD is FTA. It doesn't require any form of subscription from anyone, and can be received via a number of different receivers.

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

True I look at things with a slight HD bias but given the huge improvements in PQ and the fact that it's a huge status symbol for the BBC in terms of proving itself as a major player in TV R&D and I feel that the commercial aspects are proven as HD is going to be a given for overseas sales and that will tip any balance thanks to the revenues HD will generate for the BBC.
    As for the domestic side then the distribution costs on Dsat and Cable are very small and HD production is becoming more common and will continue to do so regardless of any decision by this "test" and HD production producers better SD broadcasts.

You don't need to subscribe to SKY or buy SKY hardware to watch the BBC HD channel on satellite, I hope that the people involved are aware of that:)
    As for VM well you have to pay them directly or take another service to watch the BBC digital channels (let alone HD) so less said about that platform the better.

Bottom line the nation needs the BBC to be involved with HD broadcasting not only to promote the format but to make sure it's not a PAY only product.

15. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Ok Loz and Starburst point taken, technically speaking Sky and Virgin media is not the "only way" to get bbc hd.Realistically though how many people in this country have a,the equipment or b, the knowhow to setup hd tv freeview?
    If we are already talking about a tiny percentage through the conventional means i.e. Sky/Virgin Media do you really think the freeview satellite viewers are going to make any impression on the overall numbers?

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Very few but lets hope the facts are used for the PVT and that SKY and VM providing the bulk of viewers of the BBC HD channels isn't used as an excuse to deny the service to the license fee payers who watch it now and those come 2008 who may buy the HD Freesat box.

Thankfully the PVT looks beyond the simple equation of how many people are using the service against how much it costs.