• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BBC HD Tests

czytt

I read in What Satellite and Digital TV yesterday that the BBC HD tests due to start this summer will be available on the Sky HD box.

Anyone know if this is true?

They also state (on their website) that Sky have cut a new deal to show newer blockbuster movies in HD, though one of the quoted list of "hits" that will be available is Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, which hasn't even been released yet, so maybe this news should be treated with caution.

Jerry

Fusewire

I think the BBC bit is probobaly right, they are filming some sporting events in HD already, I was at Twickenham for the England / Wales game in the six nations and the BBC's HD crew were there filming the match in HD and that was a month ago so they look to be well on the ball, guess they are just waiting for sky to release the hardware so us mere mortals can watch it as they want us to.

daKlone

I don't know about the BBC thing, but I would have thought that the "Dead Man's Chest" news was probably spot on.

Don't forget - most (if not all) of the big movies filmed from now on must have one eye on their BluRay or HD-DVD release, so they must be of sufficeint quality to stand digitization into HD.

Nick_UK

Banned
Sure, but when have Sky ever broadcast movies less than 2 years old, even on Box Office ? Most of the current Box Office movies I've seen on video rental ages ago.

czytt

daKlone said:
Don't forget - most (if not all) of the big movies filmed from now on must have one eye on their BluRay or HD-DVD release, so they must be of sufficeint quality to stand digitization into HD.
Just about any movie shot on 35mm (unless it's completely useless) should be fine for an HD transfer. And ones that bad will look terrible on a cinema screen.

It's how recent the movie is that I'm most interested in. Not that I'm ever expecting to see a movie on Sky HD that isn't already out on DVD, but I'm staying away from HD-DVD and Blu-Ray until I see who wins - if anyone. (That's why I bought a scaler.) Hence, I will be eagerly awaiting Sky HD version of newer movies.

Jerry

Nick_UK

Banned
Yes, this was discussed to death in a thread a few months ago. Any good 35mm colour master can be transferred to HD and give excellent results.

Evil Engineer

Yes. But most of these content deals will run over a set period of time.

Nothing to stop Sky going to Disney, or whoever, and signing up all their films for a five year period. Any new film released during this time frame would automatically be included.

Clauses defining a time delay before any new releases can be shown on satalite can easily be written into the deal beforehand to preserve DVD windows etc.

Howard Pitfield

I watched Department S on ITV4 last night and that was great pic quality. It was shot on 35mm - so all the old ITC filmed series would look bril on HDTV (except Jason King which was shot on 16mm)....

H

thomasb

At crufts today,enough bbc hd stuff knocking about, vans etc.

bit of an odd place to do testing?still shows testing is being done.

Nick_UK

Banned
Probably not testing - lots of stuff is recorded in HD for distribution abroad. There's a lot of interest in Crufts in America.

ChrisOH

gwaite2 said:
, I was at Twickenham for the England / Wales game in the six nations and the BBC's HD crew were there filming the match in HD .

That's great news. I trust they showed the last 10 minutes to the referee again because clearly he didn't see much of it at the time ;-)

Chris

Starburst

Distinguished Member
paul1967 said:
So we the paying public cannot watch what the US can in HD but were paying for it ,rip off britain again .

The BBC generates well over £100 million in overseas sales which means a lower license fee for us:)

While I agree with your sentiment there is no getting around the fact that a broadcaster can not jump into HD without major investment and time to develop the infrastructure hence the time it's taking SKY to get themselves together.
Look on the bright side, TW users got to watch Pride in HD less than a year after it was shown in HD in Germany:)

Fusewire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaite2
, I was at Twickenham for the England / Wales game in the six nations and the BBC's HD crew were there filming the match in HD .

That's great news. I trust they showed the last 10 minutes to the referee again because clearly he didn't see much of it at the time ;-)

Chris

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Too true - You win some, you lose some, god knows what the ref was watching.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

BAN5HEE

ahin4114 said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that looked excellent even in SD.

I thought I was watching HD:D It was really good pic and if its anything to go by for things to come I am defo getting SKY HD as soon as it's out.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom