BBC HD sound problems

changeguru

Standard Member
I am finding some sound issues with BBC HD via my Humax HDR. I have the HDR feeding into a Yamaha receiver via a digital optical cable.

1. The BBC HD logo sequence is REALLY loud! When they play the logo piece the sound comes blasting out in wonderful DolbyDigital at a level which frightens everyone watching. Is anyone else getting this?

2. When watching an HD program which the info panel says is in DolbyDigital my amp is sensing ProLogic and switching into that mode. I can't find a way to force DD sound. This is frustrating as I know the setup is OK for DD due to the problem above. Any ideas?

many thanks for any help or advice offered.
Tim.

Easybourne

The HD idents are very loud, you're right about that!

As for the 'no 5.1', as it stands the majority of programmes on BBCHD are not full 5.1 anyway. They are still transmitted using Dolby Digital, but only in two-channel (2.0). What happens is that your receiver sees this as Dolby Digital, but knows that it is only stereo and so engages Pro-Logic mode so that voices come out of the centre channel rather than just front left and right. It will correctly show 5.1 when it comes along - you shouldn't need to change anything on the receiver as it sounds like it is doing what it should.

A lot of the programmes you think 'should' have 5.1 don't. Doctor Who does, Strictly does, and it is gradually increasing.

As for the volume level differences, you could try pressing the 'audio' button on the HDR remote and selecting the 'Audio Description' alternative soundtrack; this is an MPEG track and will play at about the same volume level as the SD channels, though of course you'll lose 5.1 sound if any is being broadcast at the time.

changeguru

Standard Member
Thanks Darren for the reply. Your post explains it well. I suppose that I just assumed I would get full 5.1 if I saw the DD flag on a program.

Last night I watched the football on ITV HD and the amp switched straight into 5.1 and I got great surround sound which I suppose proves your point!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks Darren for the reply. Your post explains it well. I suppose that I just assumed I would get full 5.1 if I saw the DD flag on a program.

Last night I watched the football on ITV HD and the amp switched straight into 5.1 and I got great surround sound which I suppose proves your point!

ITV HD don't have the capability to transmit DD5.1 it's always DD2.0 which most amps display as Dolby prologic. BBC HD use both DD2.0 and 5.1 and last nights football was on BBC HD. Some freesat boxes let you change the volume of SD output but not DD from an HD transmission , if so set the the SD using the box volume control to give roughly the same level as an HD one. And yes the BBC HD intro is louder than the programmes (very annoying :eek:) On the hdr with the curent firmware spdif sd audio is not controlleable but I believe it's still can be varied if using hdmi. (mines spdif connected)

Last edited:

changeguru

Standard Member
ITV HD don't have the capability to transmit DD5.1 it's always DD2.0 which most amps display as Dolby prologic. BBC HD use both DD2.0 and 5.1 and last nights football was on BBC HD.

Yes, you are right - the football was on BBC last night!

Thanks for clarification on the sound variations. I hope to upgrade my amp to an HDMI one at some point when I intend to put both video and sound through it (currently i feed the video straight to the TV).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom