• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BBC HD Sound and Sonos

codex70

OK, so the BBC are going to stream radio three in HD and currently have several radio 2 concerts in hd. Is there any way I can, or will be able to listen to these on my Sonos kit?

Is it possible to point at a url in some way, or is there an easier answer?

ro53ben

No reason why it shouldn't work, as I understand it, it's just high bitrate AAC or something which is supported.

You just need the URL. Contact Sonos support, or post on the Sonos forums, if you can't extract it from the BBC link and they should be able to help.

codex70

Ahh, thanks for that. I've found how you add a radio station using the PC interface (I was looking under the Iphone controller and couldn't find anything to add a url :)

The radio 3 broadcasts start in December, at the moment they've only got a couple of concerts from their electric proms (BBC - Radio 2 - Electric Proms - Home), but all the streams seem to be flash encoded, so I can't try it out (short of streaming to the PC then sound out to sonos, which isn't ideal).

Will wait for the R3 service and try again.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
The R3 HD service has been live for several weeks. As you've found it's wrapped in Adobe's transport protocol which some players can decode at the clent by means of 'plug in' software. Sonos may have to provide similar protocol handler in the players or via a server farm, as per Spotify integration. But international users wouldn't improve on the 48kbps stream.

Last edited:

codex70

Lol, I'm presuming you mean squeeze. I expect it'll get sorted, just a question of when. No rush as I'm just using an S5 till we move back into our house (hopefully in feb). Just playing really in the mean time.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom