BBC HD plans about to be revealed

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by DaveWolf, Nov 8, 2005.

1. DaveWolf

DaveWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  2. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!!! :) :D :D :D :D :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool: :cool:

Mind you how will we receive HD via Freeview in London? Will it mean another £500 Box :eek:

3. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Could this mean The World Cup In HD via The BBC????

4. Tim13

Tim13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would suggest it does. The Sky people were dropping very heavy hints at the Hammersmith show last week.

Tim

5. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  6. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

"It will also launch a trial of HDTV broadcasts via Freeview, the free to air digital service, using spare capacity in the London area." per the Gaurdian report. All I can say is ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH, what about us poor souls outside of London?!!

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Interesting that the Beeb are going to trial HD via DTT as well. If true this may be a path to HD via Freeview. Wonder if they've got some research that demonstrates they can squeeze an extra mux or two into the current RF channel plan in some regions?

I'd expect BBC One to be simulcast in HD from 1900 to 2200 Mon-Fri, possibly different hours at the weekend. News at 1800-1830 and 2200-2230 could have an HD studio upgrade, but the location reports would be in SD so this might not be worthwhile initially. Regional News 1830-1900 is unlikely to be HD for a LONG time...

This might also mean that HD productions originally shown in SD on BBC Two might get an HD repeat on BBC One until Two goes HD I guess? (I'm thinking of Rome, The Proms, Later with Jools etc.)

8. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It would be good to see some of their Wildlife shows and natural science stuff in HD. That would be pretty awesome!!

9. StevenBagley

StevenBagley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Digital Spy says this http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds26019.html which includes "Sky is expected to be first off the block with a premium HDTV launch in April"

April, not February.

bbdivo: The Guardian article says HDTV via Freeview for national coverage will be from 2012. BBC press release says 2008-2012.

StooMonster

11. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I wonder if it will be h.264 or freeview standard mpeg2?

Either way, a DVB card in a PC might (should?) be able to save the stream and then replay it through a player with a compatible codec.

So, forum members in London (I'm not among them, unfortunately) might be able to obtain these streams.. But of course would not share them for copyright reasons <cough> ;)

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    If they simulcast, they'll simulcast. i.e. if they launch on SkyHD, then BBC1 will be a HD channel 24/7. Just that only some of the programs will actually be broadcast in HD, the rest will be SD. Its not practical to have two BBC1s, and have to flick over to watch in HD.

Unless you meant DTT, in which case if there is free spectrum in London (I'm on Crystal palace, woo hoo!), then it would presumably be also on 24/7

Personally if they don't go full on, I'd prefer a BBC 'mix' channel, with bits from all BBC channels. Plenty of stuff on BBC2 and BBC4 I'd like to see (quite possibly more stuff than I'd want from BBC1)

DTT HD sounds great, and a possible interim alternative to SkyHD for those in range of the necessary transmitters. Although you'll need another box, and only for one channel.

13. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I would expect the BBC to be using MPEG4 via DVB-T and DSat - as there is no good reason to waste RF capacity using MPEG2. There is a precedent for MPEG4 via DVB-T, as this is the model proposed for HD and Pay TV in France. (FTA SD DVB-T in France uses MPEG2 - to allow IDTVs and set top boxes to be sold across Europe)

I would imagine the 2008-2012 timescale is because analogue switch-off starts in 2008, and thus "Freeview" HD rollout could start as soon as analogue is switched off, region-by-region.

If the BBC are able to use a Band IV or V frequency for the Freeview HD trials, AND they are using 2k or 8k COFDM DVB-T to broadcast, then a PC capture card and software MPEG4 decoding should be possible - if they are (as we hope) unencrypted.

If they are DVB-S rather than DVB-S2 on satellite then a similar solution might be possible for satellite reception. However if they use DVB-S2 we'll have to wait for compatible PC cards.

14. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Do I presume BBC HD will be FTA via satellite?

If so, where will I buy a suitable Satellite receiver or will I have to buy the Sky HD box?

The press release says trials will be limited and they will provide the box. Supplies of the box will also be limited.
    Does this mean the DTT HD box, or also the Satellite HD box?

Presumably the Sky HD box will carry BBC HD channels.

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    For the terrestrial trial, the BBC will apply to Ofcom for temporary use of an unused frequency currently not allocated to broadcasters and unsuitable for conventional broadcast use. It is hoped it will be possible to provide a limited number of HD set top box receivers to triallists. However, it is unlikely that HD receivers will be available commercially until a long-term future is secured for high definition terrestrial broadcasting.

In the context of the press release limited STB supplies are for the DTT HD box.

BBC press release says the service is going to be on satellite and they are talking to revelant operators, one can assume that is BSkyB because they are going to have an HD satellite box receive in place in early 2006.

Doubt you are going to be able to find an HD STB that will receive BBC HD that is not Sky's one for quite a while.

However, I bet BBC HD is free to air.

StooMonster

16. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Excuse my ignorance, but why?
    Will the BBC and/or Sky use some proprietary encoding or something that will mean I can only get a FTA BBC HD signal via Sky HD Box?

Doesn't the current BBC FTA mean I no longer have to use a Sky box for BBC transmissions via satellite?
    Won't I be able to do the same with BBC FTA HD transmissions? i.e. just buy a suitable 3rd party satellite receiver.

17. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I think it's a safe bet that BBC HD will be carried on Sky HD, and Sky are wisely using DVB-S2 H.264 rather than DVB-S's MPEG2.

So you'll need to source an MPEG4 STB box.

I think we may be limited to SkyHD for a while though, simply because there are not many of these boxes around. Third parties? Pace make one for Premiere that may or may not be suitable.
    http://www.pacemicro.com/corporate/newsroom/pacenewsitem.asp?id=10347 likewise Sharp and a couple of others. However, there may be better availablity of these STB in seven months or so when BBC start HD.

StooMonster

18. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    thanks StooMonster

19. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Best. News. Ever.

20. Chu321

Chu321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What will you need by way of dish and LNB. I don't have Sky+ as my dish is very inaccessible. I would need scaffolding to replace the dish or LNB. Does that mean HD from BBC will be out for me? I have already assumed it will bad news as far as Sky HD is concerned.

My real hope is that I will somehow be able to use my existing Sky digital dish. Any hope at all?

21. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Lets put this into perspective. The BBC press release makes it quite clear that this is only a "limited technical trial" to show "highlights of BBC ONE's peaktime schedule in high definition". Agreed that this is a good start but it doesn't represent a full BBC HD service which probably won't be seen until post 2010.

Just a point regarding it being FTA, I think this will largely be irrelevant in the beginning as you'll probably have to fork out the £400, or whatever it will be, for a Sky HD box plus Sky will expect you to pay their subscription, unless of course you can get the STB elsewhere.

22. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Theoretically you could use the existing dish but as the Sky HD service is to include Sky+ functionality, or at least the new box will contain it, they would probably insist on installing a new quad LNB and extra cabling.

23. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    And you can be sure that once BBC1HD, or whatever, gets onto the Sky platform, it aint coming off, technical trial or not.

The availability of some HD programming from the Beeb on its platform is something that Sky will encourage, as it will tip more people into purchase of the sky hd box.

The freeview may well be a limited trial timewise, but I suspect Beeb hd is here to stay, even in a limited no of hours per day.

Roll on Germany 2006... :clap: :clap: :clap:

24. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    World cup in HD!!!!!

25. Chu321

Chu321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately, that is what I expect them to say too. The trouble is the Sky heights team won't touch my installation. As I say I would need to erect scaffolding which would be very expensive and I can only afford to do that again the next time I need to do external decoration. I just hoped that there could be a way I could get HD without the need for the Sky+ extras.

26. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    You may eventually be able to buy the STB privately and then just upgrade your Sky package to include Sky HD but you may have limited functionality without a proper install.

27. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Listening to BBC Radio 2 this evening it was reported that the BBC will have HD tv in 2006 via a freeview set top box!!No mention of Sky

28. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The BBC are looking to use a bit of DTT capacity in the London area and you will not be able to use a Freeview box to access it even if they use mpeg2, it is a DTT trial nothing more.
    Any true domestic service will appear on Dsat and Cable as both have the capacity and the latest hardware to support the more efficent compression and broadcast standards.

29. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Perhaps you could hire mini scaffold towers from HSS and the like, about £100 a day.

Might be an idea to move dish to another, more accessible, location. e.g. doesn't have to be on your roof, at my last house it was on a pole and the end of the garden; at my brothers house it's almost on the ground on a corner of his house.

Also, local aerial installation firms will sometimes go places that Sky fear to tread, my RF radio aerial being a prime example. :)

StooMonster

30. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Key dates, as announced by BBC:
    Mid-2006: "highlights of BBC ONE's peaktime schedule in high definition" on satellite
    End-2006: on cable
    2010: all BBC television production to be in HD

Full BBC HD service will be sometime between 2006 and 2010, my bet is nearer 2006 than 2010. IMO post-2010 is a bit pessimistic.

StooMonster