BBC HD - no sound during programmes

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sp0, Sep 4, 2007.

1. sp0

sp0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got a clue what is happening here:

Recently I stopped hearing sound through my cinema system on BBC HD during live or recorded programmes; it works fine during the station promo (the fancy flying logo bit) and it works when listened to through a normal telly in the second room. All other HD channels are fine.

I was able to get sound back by turning off Dolby Digital in the Optical Out menu on the Sky box; however presumably this will give me poorer sound.

Output from the Sky box goes into a Meridian G68 processor and then on to a set of Meridian DSP 5500s.

Is the BBC sending some strange sort of signal which breaks my processor's decoding?

2. sp0

sp0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I may have solved it ...

Turns out that someone had pulled the plug on one of my Meridian DSP front speakers, so I was getting neither left nor right - just the big centre speaker and the rears. The programmes I had been testing with on BBC seem to have had zero sound to centre or rear (which is a bit weird in itself) ...

Now I am wondering why these programmes had zero sound on the centre speaker. One was Silent Witness, for example. Most mixes do have a bit of sound in centre, don't they?

3. PWinwood

PWinwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Although the DD signal was transmitted the Silent Witness audio mix seemed to me to be stereo only. So far the only program that I have noticed recently with a decent 5.1 mix is the Jules Holland program.

4. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
  5. PWinwood

PWinwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    All programmes seem to be 'Stereo' on the guide, regardless of what they are. A few weeks ago one of the programmes in the Proms season was in Mono until I switched to the 48Khz PCM Feed.