• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BBC HD No Signal - all other channels working

zonin2000

Standard Member
Hi,

I installed my new Freesat enabled TV (LG LF7700) last night. I currently have Sky+ (not HD). I took out one of the satellite cables from my Sky box and plugged it into the back of the TV to setup Freesat. The TV menu showed me that I had a signal strength of 30% and quality of 50% (if I remember correctly).

I performed the auto setup and the TV seemed to find a lot of Freesat channels (70+). When I flicked through the channels, they all appeared to have a decent picture, apart from BBC HD which just gave me a 'no signal' message.

Is this a common issue? Is it because of the low signal strength? Or could it be because this was late at night (around midnight), so there was no broadcast from BBC HD at the time?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi,

I installed my new Freesat enabled TV (LG LF7700) last night. I currently have Sky+ (not HD). I took out one of the satellite cables from my Sky box and plugged it into the back of the TV to setup Freesat. The TV menu showed me that I had a signal strength of 30% and quality of 50% (if I remember correctly).

I performed the auto setup and the TV seemed to find a lot of Freesat channels (70+). When I flicked through the channels, they all appeared to have a decent picture, apart from BBC HD which just gave me a 'no signal' message.

Is this a common issue? Is it because of the low signal strength? Or could it be because this was late at night (around midnight), so there was no broadcast from BBC HD at the time?

It's most likely a dish alignment, Coax connection problem or faulty lnb. You have very low signal and quality mine are 100% on both on most transponders.

Try watching 951 BBC1 CI which is on the same transponder as BBC HD

zonin2000

Standard Member
It's most likely a dish alignment, Coax connection problem or faulty lnb. You have very low signal and quality mine are 100% on both on most transponders.

Try watching 951 BBC1 CI which is on the same transponder as BBC HD
Ah, thanks for the explanation, it makes sense. When Sky+ was first installed, the engineer checked the signal strength and it was low for both feeds (around 30% if I recall), so he assumed that it was the dish alignment. I live in a block of flats with a shared dish, so have to get the building maintenance team to fix it. I enquired twice and nothing happened, but since I've never had an issue with Sky picture, I have given up.

BBC HD would be a bonus, but Sky HD is being installed next weekend, so I can live without it until then. I do hope that the low signal strength doesn't mean that I can't receive either the Sky HD channels or indeed BBC HD through Sky.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Ah, thanks for the explanation, it makes sense. When Sky+ was first installed, the engineer checked the signal strength and it was low for both feeds (around 30% if I recall), so he assumed that it was the dish alignment. I live in a block of flats with a shared dish, so have to get the building maintenance team to fix it. I enquired twice and nothing happened, but since I've never had an issue with Sky picture, I have given up.

BBC HD would be a bonus, but Sky HD is being installed next weekend, so I can live without it until then. I do hope that the low signal strength doesn't mean that I can't receive either the Sky HD channels or indeed BBC HD through Sky.

The box you are using should not make any difference, BBC HD is the same transmission whatever the label says on the box. The only difference in the free channel reception between the boxes is the sky and freesat have different epgs. (freesat is simply an epg provider they don't have any channels)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom