BBC HD Masters coverage

Tony B

There seems to be a lot of jitter with rapidly moving objects (i.e. the ball or the background) - I have never noticed this before.

Is it something to do with 1080i, or is there some other encoding/transcoding error somewhere?

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
There seems to be a lot of jitter with rapidly moving objects (i.e. the ball or the background) - I have never noticed this before.

Is it something to do with 1080i, or is there some other encoding/transcoding error somewhere?
It is the standards conversion from the US 60Hz HD signal to the UK 50Hz HD signal.

Oblomov

Novice Member
It is the standards conversion from the US 60Hz HD signal to the UK 50Hz HD signal.
Yes, and the judder is also very evident on SD, especially when the ball is ascending. Nothing to be done about it, I'm afraid. Good to have confirmation that HD is no better, though.

onewingedangel

You would have thought they could keep the signal native 1080i/60 - after all what HD capable tv accepts 1080i/50 but not 1080i/60?

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
You would have thought they could keep the signal native 1080i/60 - after all what HD capable tv accepts 1080i/50 but not 1080i/60?
I'm afraid it isn't that simple. TV stations have to run at a single frame rate and resolution - and BBC HD is 1080/50i. The transmission area - vision mixers, graphics, servers, outside sources, VTRs (if still in use), studios etc. all run at the same resolution and frame rate. It simply isn't possible to switch frame rates on a per-programme basis.

Whilst all HD Ready displays can accept 1080/60i - it isn't feasible for the BBC to broadcast in it.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Yes, and the judder is also very evident on SD, especially when the ball is ascending. Nothing to be done about it, I'm afraid. Good to have confirmation that HD is no better, though.
AIUI the SD feed on BBC Two is a 576/50i downconversion of the 1080/50i being broadcast on BBC HD. The conversion from 60Hz to 50Hz is done in the HD domain - so any conversion artefacts will be common to both?

I guess there may also be an SD backup from the US as well.

Tony B

Well, here's a strange thing. I chanced upon recorded Masters highlights on Premiere HD yesterday, and...

NO jittering at all.

Therefore, it must be something the BBC have done, I guess..?

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Well, here's a strange thing. I chanced upon recorded Masters highlights on Premiere HD yesterday, and...

NO jittering at all.

Therefore, it must be something the BBC have done, I guess..?

Different 1080/60i to 1080/50i converters ?

ISTR that some European HD was also 1080/60i - though I think this was in the very early days.

markbigears

Novice Member
well, all i know is that i hate golf, but spent an hour watching it the other night! Do you find you watch output you have never had a interest in before?

Tony B

well, all i know is that i hate golf, but spent an hour watching it the other night! Do you find you watch output you have never had a interest in before?
Opera, ballet, even.

But NOT bloody Robin Hood, Hotel Babylon or Fear of Fanny. No way. Not ever. Never. For the first time or the thousandth.

Somebody in BBC HD scheduling needs to be struck very roughly...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom