bbc hd channel sounds very quiet ?

trapster

Established Member
Reaction score
why is the bbc hd channel very quiet up to normal channels

i have to increase the sound on my amp around 20-30% more to get the same volume level as sd broadcasts.

i am using optical from the v+ box to my amp and it is showing as 5.1 dolby digital.
do i need a amp that can reproduce hd audio ?

or is it just the bbc hd channel and there is nothing i can do,or will this improve one day ?

is it worth telling virgin about it,can they do anything about it or is it down to bbc

It's the way it is mate.

I've always noticed it, but think it is more to do with DD 5.1 having more dynamic range. IE, the quiet stuff is quieter and the louder stuff is louder.

I always turn it up :)

Mine also is very quiet, but also my V+ box volume is a bit on the low side,(since the last update?) and my remote only works my TV volume.

Anybody out there knows how to reset my controller to operate my V+ box again so I can turn up the volume and then reset back it for my TV?

Is BBC HD the only 5.1 channel on V+?

Don't think I've seen much 5.1 programming.

why is the bbc hd channel very quiet up to normal channels

i have to increase the sound on my amp around 20-30% more to get the same volume level as sd broadcasts.

i am using optical from the v+ box to my amp and it is showing as 5.1 dolby digital.
do i need a amp that can reproduce hd audio ?

or is it just the bbc hd channel and there is nothing i can do,or will this improve one day ?

is it worth telling virgin about it,can they do anything about it or is it down to bbc

It's down to the BBC, as they feed the content direct to Virgin so you should complain here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/recep_feedback.shtml

Simple answer is most content on the BBC HD channel is transmitted as 5.1 when in fact it was recorded in stereo (2.0). Your amp is being told it's 5.1 but is only getting the front L & R channels. So no surround or more importantly no centre channel, which is where the main voice or sound content is usually contained. So effectively all you are left with is the subdued L & R channels, hence having to crank up the volume to get a decent level.
You'd get a similar effect by watching a dvd in 5.1 and disconnecting the surround and centre speakers.

Is BBC HD the only 5.1 channel on V+?

Don't think I've seen much 5.1 programming.

No, some of the SD Sky movie channels also broadcast in DD5.1 occasionally.

ah thanks beaker

now it makes sense,at last....

i will complain to the bbc :)

it is just so stupid that the hd channel has poorer souind than the standerd channels.

thanks again

Have also complained to BBC as have similar problems. Interestingly HD VOD from BBC sources (e.g. Blue Planet) does not have same problem.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom