BBC HD Channel 108 on Virgin sound problems

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by aquatarkus, Sep 5, 2007.

1. aquatarkus

aquatarkus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi not sure if this is the right forum but when watching BBC HD (channel 108 on Virgin V+ box) the sound output seems rather strange, for instance if i watch Last of the Summer Wine with the sound taken via optical toslink from the Virgin V+ box (optical out) to my Yamaha AV amp (optical in) and the picture via HDMI cable direct to TV (TV speakers are disabled) instead of the voices coming out of the center channel as you'd expect they seem to come from the center, front left and right and the Sub. the Yamaha does show the signal as Dolby Digital and seems to be processing it correctly.
    This only happens on BBC HD and not on any of the Virgin HD films or TV shows ( Lost series 1 episodes 1, 2 and 3 etc)
    It seems to affect anything that is broadcast on BBC HD the only sound from the BBC HD channel that seems right is the bit between the HD trailers that run up untill 8pm and that is very impressive though my system.
    Another program i tried to watch was one of the Jools Holland Later With Programs the image quality was simply stunning but the sound well pretty much unlistenable, voice was all over the place and the instruments sounded as if they were miles away and very indistinct.
    Would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem or something similar.

Thanks for any help or sugestions

Keith.

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

i am also getting the same problem, though i am watching it on sky hd, so its bbc problem and not your box. Check out the thread on the sky hd problem

3. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    BBC HD seemed to have changed how they broadcast sound about 3 weeks ago. They used to broadcast in DD5.1 when the show used all 5.1 channels (such as Jools Holland or Planet earth), or broadcast in dolby2.0 for other shows (such as football coverage, films and Heroes).

This worked well for me as my amp detects dolby 2.0 and applies PL2x to give a surround effect.

For the past 3 odd weeks, they seemed to broadcast everything in DD5.1, even if there is sound out of less than 5.1 channels. For example Heroes sesm to be just out of left and right, as was silent witness.

This is a little annoying as my amp wont let me apply PL2x to signals that it thinks are proper DD5.1 - so i cant chose a simulated surround format.

If anyone has a few minutes, drop an email to the BBC.

MB

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

i have emailed them and no reply yet, i have sky hd and what i do when watching bbc hd is to switch off the dolby digital in my sound menu so all i get is 2.0 stereo and my amp then applies prologic processing. I dont know if you can do that on a v+ box though.

5. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Cheers for that idea. I can probably do that, but it will be a little unwanted hassle. I'll give a go for the nexxt England footy game :thumbsup: