BBC HD at Xmas

leedownie

Novice Member
BBC HD are showing most of the films that are on BBC One at the same time, looks like a good line up.

Just a few examples:

Monsters Inc
Pirates of the Carribean
Bruce Almighty
The Santa Clause 2
Calendar Girls
Sky Kids 3
Holes
Two Brothers
High School Musical
Mrs Henderson Presents
The Hours
Seabiscuit

Plus New Years eve Fireworks live in HD and extended hours of broadcast.

Apologies if this has been posted before but I couldn't find it. :thumbsup:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Nice one :smashin:

At last some content via my Teledrive.
I just hope it's not upscaled.
If you're listening Auntie Beeb, Dolby Digital sound would be a great Chrimbo present for me :thumbsup:

Brogan

Novice Member
It's good that they're increasing the content over the Xmas period.

Just a shame that of the films in that list that I'd watch, I've already seen them.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Are they all going to be in HD?

Would be wonderful if they were and would back up the comment about 5.1 sound.

Monsters Inc and Pirates of the Caribbean will be the highlights for me.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
As an aside, (sorry OP) has anyone else had the feeling that the pic on the BBCHD preview is not quite as good as it was a few months ago?
Or have I just got used to it?

Cheekster

As an aside, (sorry OP) has anyone else had the feeling that the pic on the BBCHD preview is not quite as good as it was a few months ago?
I've only just had Sky HD installed Tues of this week and imo the BBCHD Previews look very very good (shame it's not possible to record them with Sky+ tho!).

Cheekster.

remlap

Novice Member
I've only just had Sky HD installed Tues of this week and imo the BBCHD Previews look very very good (shame it's not possible to record them with Sky+ tho!).

Cheekster.
You can record BBC HD but only actual shows with the tv planner, only way to record the preview is to setup a manual record.

brendan_dj

Novice Member
Plus New Years eve Fireworks live in HD and extended hours of broadcast.

BigBen HD at midnight :D

I guess the New Year party will be round our house this year :cool:

Problem is though, it is usually delayed by a few seconds so it wont be truly "live"

sdw

Apart from films is anything else being broadcast in HD??

Do you have link to article

Cheers

Bachstrad

Novice Member
Apart from films is anything else being broadcast in HD??

Do you have link to article

Cheers
The BBC broadcast many different programs, other than films, in HD, check the listings on the AV Forums TV Guide for details.

ATB

Max

Boozyuzi

Novice Member
Saturday December 23

17.40 – 18.55pm
Strictly Come Dancing – The Final
The sparkling, spectacular grand finale of Strictly Come Dancing hosted by Bruce Forsyth and Tess Daly. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

18.55 – 19.40pm
Robin Hood: The Return of the King (ep. 12)
The glorious news spreads that King Richard is returning to England. For most, the news hails a return to the good old days, but for Marian, it means her marriage to Guy of Gisborne is brought one step closer. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

19.40 – 20.30pm
BBC Children in Need Concert. Highlights of November’s concert for Children In Need - a compilation unique to BBC HD.

21.30 – 22.10pm
Strictly Come Dancing – The Results
Final winners announced. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

Christmas Eve
Sunday December 24

15.10 – 16.50pm
The Santa Clause 2 (Film 2002)
Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) has been Santa Claus for the past eight years. But things quickly go south when he finds out that his son, Charlie (Eric Lloyd), has landed on this year's "naughty" list. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

20.00 – 21.30pm
Pride (Film 2004)
BBC action drama featuring the voices of Kate Winslet, Sean Bean and Helen Mirren and a real pride of lions living on the vast plains of Africa in a dramatic and magical tale of love and survival.

21.30 – 23.10pm
Calendar Girls (Film 2003)
Based on a true story about 12 women in the small town of Knapely, Yorkshire, whose nude calendar creates a sensation. Julie Walters and Dame Helen Mirren star. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

23.10 – 00.00am
Torchwood: Combat (ep 11).
Savage aliens are being kidnapped from the streets of Cardiff, and the Torchwood team is determined to find out why, as Russell T Davies' thrilling sci-fi drama continues. (follows earlier BBC THREE showing)

Christmas Day
Monday December 25

15.10 – 15.55pm
The Green Green Grass Christmas Special – From Here To Paternity
The Boyces are plunged into chaos in John Sullivan's new farcical festive fare featuring – to the tune of The Twelve Days Of Christmas – three pregnancies, two black eyes and a mythical creature in the stable. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

15.55 – 17.20pm
Monsters Inc. (Film 2001)
In a land of monsters, James P Sullivan, aka Sulley (voiced by John Goodman) and his co-worker, Mike Wazowski (voiced by Billy Crystal), are two of many employees of a utility company that generates power for a very nervous city of monsters. (simulcast with BBC ONE).

17.20 – 1.20am
The Complete Bleak House
Gillian Anderson, Denis Lawson, Charles Dance, Alistair McGowan, Pauline Collins and Johnny Vegas lead a star cast in the ground-breaking adaptation of Dickens' Bleak House for BBC ONE, written by multiple Bafta award-winner Andrew Davies. One-hour opening episode followed by 14 half-hour episodes.

Boxing Day
Tuesday December 26

14.45 – 16.40pm
Giselle
Love that transcends even death is at the heart of this most famous and poignant of romantic ballets, by Adolphe Adam, in a performance by the Royal Ballet, recorded at London's Covent Garden. The company's star couple Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg play the doomed lovers, with choreography and production by Peter Wright. (simulcast with BBC TWO)

16.40 – 18.10pm
Freaky Friday (Film 2003)
As Dr Tess Coleman (Jamie Lee Curtis ) and her 15-year-old daughter, Anna (Lindsay Lohan) literally walk a mile in each other's shoes, they gain a new-found respect for the other's point of view. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

18.10 – 18.40pm
Beyonce at the BBC
Backed by a 12-piece band, Beyoncé Knowles performs a one-off set of old and new material in front of a specially invited audience for BBC TWO.

19.30 – 21.45pm
Pirates of the Caribbean (Film 2003)
Network premiere blockbuster teams Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley in a swashbuckling action-adventure from a time of villainous pirates and feisty maidens. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

21.45 – 22.15pm
Jam and Jerusalem Christmas Special
Tip and Colin are up to their eyes in paperwork on the farm as the lambs are off to be slaughtered in this Christmas Special of Jennifer Saunders’ new series. When an old widower farmer – Elijah – gets in a pickle with a dead cow, Tip decides they need to get Elijah back on track and calls in help from Sal and the rest of the Guild. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

23.50 - 00.35am
Electric Proms: Kasabian
Another concert in the series. First HD showing.

Wednesday December 27

18.30 – 21.00pm
The Complete Galapagos
A chance to see all three parts of this visually spectacular series. The BBC crew spent 18 months on the remote Galapagos Islands in the Pacific. There they witnessed a rare eruption of the Sierra Negra volcano and captured on film incredible animal behaviour.

21.00 -22.45
Billy Elliott (BBC Film 2000)
British classic film about a boy with unique talent and a big dreams in a small mining town during the strike-torn ‘80s.

Thursday December 28

14.00 – 15.15pm
Spy Kids 3 (Film 2003)
Carmen's caught in a virtual reality game designed by the Kids' new nemesis, the Toymaker (Sylvester Stallone). It's up to Juni to save his sister, and ultimately the world. Also stars Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayak. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

15.15 – 17.05pm
Holes (Film 2003)
Network premiere. Adapted from the Newbury Medal and National Book award-winning book by Louis Sachar. Sigourney Weaver and Jon Voight star in this popular family adventure. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

17.05 – 21.00pm
The Complete Great British Summer
A celebration of all that is quintessentially British; a visual feast of our countryside, characters, culture and the summer events that define them. Narrated by Alan Titchmarsh.

Friday December 29

15.20 – 17.00pm
Two Brothers (Film 2004)
BBC premiere. Two baby tigers separated at birth eventually meet again, pitted against each other by an explorer hunter (Guy Pearce). (simulcast with BBC ONE)

17.55 – 19.30pm
High School Musical (Film 2006)
BBC premiere of this hit Disney movie with a musical flavour. High school students Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) and Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Anne Hudgens) share a love for music. Troy is the star of the basketball team and Gabriella shines as an academic. When the basketball team and the academic group hear of Troy and Gabriella's second audition, they join forces to split them up. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

21.00 – 22.45pm
Mrs Henderson Presents (BBC Film 2005)
Dame Judi Dench, Bob Hoskins and Will Young star in this BBC Films production set in inter-war London. On a whim, recently-widowed well-to-do Laura Henderson (Dench) buys the derelict Windmill Theatre in the West End and persuades impresario Vivian Van Damm (Hoskins) to run it, despite the fact that the two don't seem to get on at all. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

Saturday 30 December

13.50 – 18.50pm The Complete Planet Earth Series One
An instant HD classic, this series flows from the world’s greatest rivers and impressive gorges to the mightiest mountains, the hidden underground world of caves and caverns, to vast deserts – so much has yet to be explored. It’s the definitive look at the diversity of our planet, narrated by David Attenborough.

18.50 -19.35
Robin Hood: Clue: No (final episode)
Unable to come to terms with losing Marian, Robin Hood refuses to help Edward confront the King and abandons Much and the gang. But all is not as it seems and the discovery of a terrible secret spurs him back into action. (simulcast with BBC ONE.)

21.15 – 23.05pm
The Hours (film 2002)
Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep star in director Stephen Daldry's intriguing drama about Virginia Woolf. (Simulcast with BBC TWO)

23.05 – 23.45pm
Number 13
Greg Wise heads the cast in a chilling new adaptation of MR James' classic ghost story. Wise plays Anderson, an Oxbridge academic who is visiting a small cathedral city to authenticate some historical documents. He is staying at the local hotel in room 12, and events soon take a bizarre turn when he stumbles across room number 13. (shown first on BBC FOUR on December 22)

New Year’s Eve
Sunday December 31

13.25 – 19.10pm
The Complete Planet Earth Series Two

19.10 – 19.40
Last of the Summer Wine Christmas Special

21.30 – 00.00pm
Complete Jam and Jerusalem
Set in the small West Country town of Clatterford, this series provides an affectionate look at village life and the empathy and togetherness found in a local community where everyone knows everyone's business. Tip is played by Pauline McLynn, Colin by Robbie Richardson, Elijah by Brian Knight, Sal by Sue Johnston, Eileen by Maggie Steed, Kate Bales by Rosie Cavaliero and Caroline by Jennifer Saunders.

00.00 - 00.15pm
New Year’s Eve Fireworks (simulcast with BBC ONE)

00.15 – 00.55
Jam and Jerusalem Christmas Special
It's Sal's first Christmas without Mike and, as she takes down the decorations, she realises that it's about time she dealt with his ashes, as Jennifer Saunders' new comedy concludes.

NEW YEAR’S DAY
Monday January 1

14.20 – 16.30pm
Seabiscuit (Film 2003)
Toby Maguire stars as a half-blind ex-prizefighter who teams up with a mustang breaker played by Chris Cooper, millionaire Jeff Bridges and his rough-hewn, undersized horse, Seabiscuit. (simulcast with BBC ONE))

18.20 – 20.00pm
Wind in the Willows
Bob Hoskins leads an all-star cast in a lavish adaptation of Kenneth Grahame's children's classic The Wind in the Willows. Hoskins stars as Badger, with Matt Lucas as Toad, Mark Gatiss as Rat, Lee Ingleby as Mole, Imelda Staunton as the Barge Lady, Jim Carter as the engine driver and Anna Maxwell Martin as the Gaoler's daughter. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

21.30 – 23.10pm
Torchwood (double bill series finale)
The rift has been opened and time is splintering all over the world in the action-packed climax of Russell T Davies' dark and sexy sci-fi series. As events spiral out of control, the Torchwood team members are faced with fragments of their pasts – and terrifying visions of their futures. Can Captain Jack save the world? (simulcast with BBC THREE)

Tuesday 2 January

21.00 - 22.00pm
Just The Two Of Us
The duet-singing showdown returns for a brand-new series as eight celebrities sing for survival when they are paired with some of the world's biggest recording stars to perform live every night. Just The Two Of Us can be seen throughout the week in the New Year and each live show is followed by a separate results show. (simulcast with BBC ONE )

22.35 -23.05pm
Just The Two Of Us - Results. (simulcast with BBC ONE)

Wednesday January 3

21.00 – 22.00
Just The Two Of Us (simulcast with BBC ONE)

22.35 -23.05
Just The Two Of Us – Results (simulcast with BBC ONE)

Thursday January 4

21.00 – 22.00pm
Just The Two Of Us (simulcast with BBC ONE).

22.40 – 23.10
Just The Two Of Us - Results (simulcast with BBC ONE).

Friday Jan 5

20.30 – 22.00pm
Just The Two Of Us – Show and Results (simulcast with BBC ONE)

red1028

Standard Member
I heard BBC are actually testing different strengths of signal, to see what is acceptable as the bare minimum (not for the viewers, but more from a technical point of view). That might explain why. I may have read that on http://www.hdtvuk.tv/.

AndyH

Shame about Dr Who - but some good stuff otherwise. Really impressed with the Beeb pushing all this out over the festive season.

Incidentally, I believe they go into some form of 'lockdown' around now. Nothing that could even vaguely possibly stuff up broadcasting over Christmas gets changed.

I'm pretty sure that would include faffing with HD broadcast variables. My guess would be it is as it is now.

Fortunately they have the capability to broadcast 5.1 (or whatever weird DolbyD varient they use, I forget what it is called), so no change required there - its all down to the source material.

uno

Novice Member
I was hoping that the little britain special maybe in HD I thought i read a while ago it was being filmed in Hd I must be wrong.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
have monsters Inc and Pirates been shown in the US in HD yet? Just wondering because both are Disney and neither are slated for any HD disc formats just yet.

Not too bothered about monsters inc, but I enjoyed the first Pirates film a lot

J Roadley

Will the films keep their original aspect ratio? Can't remember if BBC blow the piccie up to keep all those home cinema experts happy that frequent this forum :devil: :smashin:

loz

Not too bothered about monsters inc, but I enjoyed the first Pirates film a lot

Now I thought Monsters Inc was great, and Pirates dire :)
Probably watch them both again though, just to see them in HD.
I am expecting Monsters to be particularly good PQ wise given it is all CGI. Even the SD DVD looked stunning.

Had a look at Bruce Almighty, and it's not showing in HD. Although it says it supposed to be according to EPG. So I don't expect other Chritsmas movies to be broadcasted in HD.

Starburst

Novice Member
Had a look at Bruce Almighty, and it's not showing in HD. Although it says it supposed to be according to EPG. So I don't expect other Chritsmas movies to be broadcasted in HD.

Darn!
I was going to watch Bruce in HD tonight after the rest of the family have finished watching "In Her Shoes", gave up on that after 20 minutes despite Cameron:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Latest News

Linn upgrades Majik LP12 turntable with new tonearm
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
VPI announces new Prime 21 turntables
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Skyworth launches 8K Q71 TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd September 2020