BBC Hd and ITV encryption question

chaosdestro0

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am planning on building a htpc and I am just wondering how the encryption works on these two channels.I shall be getting the wintv nova hd s2, I am just wondering if I record bbc hd is it encrypted? and what about Itv HD, I tried putting my Foxsat in non free sat mode and I tried recording Itv hd and Stv hd, Stv hd came out with no encrytion ( no disk thing in the file manager) and Itv hd did have encryption. However when I went to copy both of these files could not be played, when normallly .ts files play fine on my Pc.I have all the necessary codecs etc..
So I am just wondering what has gone on, when I get this htpc I assume that it would be in the equivilant of non hd mode, and therefore I would not have Encryption ( or would I?) and does this mean I cannot re encode to reduce file size.?

The data stream itself is not encrypted, so it depends on the software you use. Windows 7 Media Center can encrypt programs if the broadcaster specifies it.

Other software that records the raw stream wouldn't encrypt at all.

Surely no BBC channel can be encrypted?
Some ITV1 HD versions are encrypted, others are not.

Some are, just not those for the UK. EG The bbc transmits a high bitrate BBC-HD service to Scandinavia.

So I am I right in saying that if I used virtual dub, it would not be encrypted. Also the same with dvb viewer etc..

So I am I right in saying that if I used virtual dub, it would not be encrypted. Also the same with dvb viewer etc..

All free to air programming from 28.2/28.5E is transmitted without encryption.

Basically this is STV-HD, BBC1-HD, BBC-HD, ITV1-HD Granada, ITV1-HD London and Luxury Life HD.

Freesat-HD recording boxes encrypt the recordings when recording, the actual transmiisions are not encrypted.

We are not talking about transmissions being encrypted but about recordings and HD encoding allows for encryption during recording with flags being set by the broadcasters (copy, one copy only or no copy). This encryption is usually such that an HD copy will only playback on the machine it was recorded on be it usb devices or bluray disks.

We are not talking about transmissions being encrypted but about recordings and HD encoding allows for encryption during recording with flags being set by the broadcasters (copy, one copy only or no copy). This encryption is usually such that an HD copy will only playback on the machine it was recorded on be it usb devices or bluray disks.
Ok well preferebly I would like it so that I have no encryption on all of my recordings, so for my planned set up I shall be using wmc+media browser+remote potato, would I have to modify anything so that it all works together, and there is no such encryption at all on any Itv Hd and bbc Hd recordings. This is because I shall hopefully be streaming my recordings to myself and others using remote potato and if drm was enabled on those recordings, it would not be possible.

Ok well preferebly I would like it so that I have no encryption on all of my recordings, so for my planned set up I shall be using wmc+media browser+remote potato, would I have to modify anything so that it all works together, and there is no such encryption at all on any Itv Hd and bbc Hd recordings. This is because I shall hopefully be streaming my recordings to myself and others using remote potato and if drm was enabled on those recordings, it would not be possible.

Only official Freesat and Freeview kit encrypt when recording. Using a PC should not have any such problems.

Only official Freesat and Freeview kit encrypt when recording. Using a PC should not have any such problems.
Great news, Legally standing where does streaming your own recordings stand?
I would not want to get in trouble if I was streaming at college or university.

Great news, Legally standing where does streaming your own recordings stand?
I would not want to get in trouble if I was streaming at college or university.

As using a slingbox is legal I can't really see a problem but that's not based on any legal opinion. Having a fast enough network to stream HD is another question.

As using a slingbox is legal I can't really see a problem but that's not based on any legal opinion. Having a fast enough network to stream HD is another question.
I am not so worried about streaming HD, as I will mostly just stream SD content,in a Ideal world I would have a 10mbs upload speed that might stand Hd streaming after a bit of encoding, but I am still on dsl. In real terms it t would be more of a problem with the actual remote potato software that I will be using for scheduling recordings. The next thing that I need to think about is how the file names would be saved, but I think for the most part I shall scheudle everything in Remote potato and I heard it will give the programs good names such as TV Show-SeasonEpisode and that would be perfect for media center master and media browser. Who knows I might not even have to use Media center master, as it will save the files with meta data. But who knows, it would take me months to research everything and hopefully in the first few weeks I shall make it run really smoothly.

So far I have come to the conclusion I shall be using this setup
Shark 007 codec pack ( for dxva and the odd h1264)
Media browser ( really nice Interface for Tv shows/Movies)
Media center master ( for fetching meta data)
Remote potato ( For scheduling recordings remotely)
FileZilla server ( for Remotely checking and fixing stuff )
Remote assistance ( No need to explain)
UTorrent with web gui ( for the legal downloads)
Jdownloader with web gui( for the legal downloads )
Any DVD hd ( for "backing up" purposes)
Rss feed notifer ( Remind me when Us tv shows have aired)

Perhaps in the future:
Build program that will convert recordings to dvrms and cut out commercials overnight
Http fileserver with nice interface

And shall be running on these specs
( I know some of the stuff is overkill but I am taking stuff out of new build and replacing the current build with i7 goodness)
Antec 300
500w Modular (Whatever is cheapest when it comes to buy)
Quad core q8600 @ 2.6ghz
Gt 220
4gb DDR 2
Asus p5n73-am
5.1 surround ( still not decided what model)
Blu ray drive ( whatever is cheapest at time of purchase)
Win tv nova s2 Hd x 2 ( The best drivers, and it has hauppage support)
1.5tb 7200rpm Drive

Streaming any copyright material (i.e. virtually any broadcast material) outside your own residence (and that does not mean halls of residence, any non residential premises or communal residences) is strictly speaking illegal.

Strictly speaking using a Slingbox is only legal if the person viewing the stream is the owner/tenant of the premises being streamed from.

Strictly speaking using a Slingbox is only legal if the person viewing the stream is the owner/tenant of the premises being streamed from.
And of course I would be streaming from my premises..
The only reason I do not want this to backfire is if my family are watching at work or college or whatever.

I am not so worried about streaming HD, as I will mostly just stream SD content,in a Ideal world I would have a 10mbs upload speed that might stand Hd streaming after a bit of encoding, but I am still on dsl. In real terms it t would be more of a problem with the actual remote potato software that I will be using for scheduling recordings. The next thing that I need to think about is how the file names would be saved, but I think for the most part I shall scheudle everything in Remote potato and I heard it will give the programs good names such as TV Show-SeasonEpisode and that would be perfect for media center master and media browser. Who knows I might not even have to use Media center master, as it will save the files with meta data. But who knows, it would take me months to research everything and hopefully in the first few weeks I shall make it run really smoothly.

So far I have come to the conclusion I shall be using this setup
Shark 007 codec pack ( for dxva and the odd h1264)
Media browser ( really nice Interface for Tv shows/Movies)
Media center master ( for fetching meta data)
Remote potato ( For scheduling recordings remotely)
FileZilla server ( for Remotely checking and fixing stuff )
Remote assistance ( No need to explain)
UTorrent with web gui ( for the legal downloads)
Jdownloader with web gui( for the legal downloads )
Any DVD hd ( for "backing up" purposes)
Rss feed notifer ( Remind me when Us tv shows have aired)

Perhaps in the future:
Build program that will convert recordings to dvrms and cut out commercials overnight
Http fileserver with nice interface

And shall be running on these specs
( I know some of the stuff is overkill but I am taking stuff out of new build and replacing the current build with i7 goodness)
Antec 300
500w Modular (Whatever is cheapest when it comes to buy)
Quad core q8600 @ 2.6ghz
Gt 220
4gb DDR 2
Asus p5n73-am
5.1 surround ( still not decided what model)
Blu ray drive ( whatever is cheapest at time of purchase)
Win tv nova s2 Hd x 2 ( The best drivers, and it has hauppage support)
1.5tb 7200rpm Drive

I have a similar set-up to you except i have no requirement to stream anything.
I can recomend the Nova S2, works well with 7MC or DVBViewer.
ANYDVD HD is the dogs aswell in terms of Bluray (and DVD) but i think you missed something,
What software are you going to use to playback your blurays??
I use TMT 3. (Arcsoft Total Media Theatre) and its better than PowerDVD 8 or 9 especially when it comes to the HD Audio downmix options to your 5.1 surround system.

You will also probably want to look up Clown_BD so that you strip unwanted extras out and keep the end file size down somewhat.
Sorry if I stray of topic but thought you might find the info useful:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom