Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

BBC freezing on Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jasonf, Apr 15, 2005.

1. jasonf

jasonf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the last week or so I've had a problem with the picture & sound freezing on BBC1 and BBC2.

I've not noticed it on any other channela, but on BBC1/2 it happens every 5 to 20 minutes, picture freezes for a second or two and the sound goes off, then all comes back as normal.

It's different to what I usually see with signal problems (like during bad weather) that's usually several seconds of degraded picture and sound.

Any one else having any problems with BBC channels or any ideas what might cause this ?

Thanks

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Sky or Sky+?

Make & model of digibox?

No other channels affected?

Try 504 & 507.

Results?

A. Dork

3. XoioX

XoioX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a similar problem: Only on BBC2 though: Picture keep getting disturbed and freezes. If I press the red button to get into the menu and select another screen (when there is a multiscreen broadcast) problem is not there.
    But as soon as I go back to the basic channel, the problem comes back.

I have Sky (not Sky+)
    It's a Pace box... could you tell me where to find the model number?
    I have channel 504 (Bloomberg): no problem
    Channel 507 (BBC News): Similar problem... but the picture does not seem to freeze as much...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

David

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I wonder if this is anything to do with the extra bitstreams for Wimbledon coverage ?

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    David,

Let's hope you're a little more grateful than Jasonf. :devil:

It's very rare for one channel to be at fault - you'll usually find there's quite a few channels affected, it's probably the ones you never look at!

The reason I suggest 504 & 507 is because it's a very quick and easy way to test your LNB. They're next to each other and on opposite polarities. If you've got one or the other missing it's likely to be the LNB.

Good luck - report back with your results won't you! :)

A. Dork

6. Andy Davis

Andy Davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been having lots of probs since wimbledon & then glastonbury.....lots of freezing but only when there is a lot of white in the pick, like shots with lots of sky in them. its affected channel 4 & a handful of others too......I just have ordinary sky with 2 panasonic digiboxes and full signal strength & almost full quality......is this the future??....its unwatchable at times.

7. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Andy,

That sounds like a different problem though.....

I presume you're using the SCART outputs? If so, are the boxes set to RGB? If so, change it to PAL. See if that works.

A. Dork

8. XoioX

XoioX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Arthur,

Many thanks for your reply! :D

Further to reading more on this forum and now with your reply I'm convinced it's the LNB: Our dish is south east exposed and gets beaten by the sun most of the day: I wonder if the heat wave we've had recently (and which carries on to some extent) has had a part to play in its failure. (as it failed soon after the heat really started).

I have a friend who has a spare dish (Sky messed up with a 2nd kit which was not required), so I am debating changing the whole dish or just the LNB... Could I ask for your opinion? New dish or change the LNB?

My main concern is aligning the dish... I'm not sure how difficult that will be...

Cheers,

David

9. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    David,

Just change the LNB - it's very easy as long as you're careful. Make sure the dish is tight before sliding the old LNB out of the arm.

Likely to be another 'Cambridge' LNB. ;)

You're very welcome, by the way. :) Nice to see some people have manners. :rolleyes:

A. Dork

10. XoioX

XoioX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Arthur! :thumbsup:

I will spend some time reading up on how to do that properly and I will probably attempt to change the LNB over the week end...

I take your point on board about making sure the dish is tight before moving anything.

I will let you know how I get on!

Cheers,

David

11. XoioX

XoioX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LNB repair update: :cool:

Well, as I needed to move some furnitures around so I disconnected TV, Digibox and everything else (including cable and main).

After about an hour I wanted to check the sound of the surround sound system and re-plugged everything... and guess what........

All my channels work correctly now!!!!!
    Channel 102 (BBC2), 507 (BBCNews) as well as BBC3 and BBC4 no longer freeze...

Of course this could be temporary and I wonder if the same will happen again... but in the mean time it works! :rotfl: :rotfl:

So I guess, if that happens to anyone reading this: first thing to do is disconnect everything, wait a few minutes and reconnect! It may as simple as that to cure the problem.

Cheers,

David

12. caspar_g

caspar_g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting a similar problem with BBC and channel 5 freezing even though signal quality appears good. I have tested 504/507 as suggested although I cannot view 504 (bloomberg) as it is a subscription channel.

Is there any other LNB test I can do?
    If it is the LNB, could anyone tell what one I would have to buy?

Apologies if this just repeats stuff already discussed.

Any help appreciated.

Caspar