BBC Freeview channels lost when using splitter/booser

powerad

Standard Member
Hello

I have been on Freeview for a few years now with no issues.

I have recently had a loft conversion and as part of this had a splitter/signal booster fitted to take the tv to all bedrooms.

If I have my orignal ariel pass through (via a male to male) to the direct connection of the main tv (as if nothing had changed) all Freeview channels are seen ok and good.

If I use the booster half of all the Freeview channels are lost, mainly BBC ones even to my main tv.

Now I know that cabling is good to my main tv, the only thing changing is the booster is now inline.

What is happening? HELLLLLLPPPPPP.

Regards
Adrian

mike7

Distinguished Member
Sorry to be a bit basic, but how are you powering the booster?

The booster circuitry + inputs and outputs will be in the loft. One of the outputs, usually to your main TV, is also reqiuired to carry the voltage to power the booster. This comes in one of two ways. Usually as a power supply unit which is near your main tv and plugs in the aerial line. Some TVs and PVRs are also able to provide the requisite voltage, but these are a bit rare. If you do not power the booster correctly then it will act as an attenuator and signal levels to the outputs will either drop or not be there at all.

Last edited:

brookheather

Distinguished Member
You could be boosting the signal too high - has it got a variable gain so you can try reducing the amount of signal gain?

- Simon.

powerad

Standard Member
Thanks for your replies.
The booster is plug in one thats powered from 240V. It is switched on. No power is supplied via the coax tv cable.
Also all Freeview boxes I have tried with the attenuator have the same issue (i have 3)

The booster has variable attenuationand I have tried max and min, both have the same fault.

Regards
Adrian

mike7

Distinguished Member
I'm led to conclude that there is something wrong with the booster. Any chance of trying it elswhere - on a friend's tv ? At least that will eliminate that possibility.

The latest video from AVForums

Tribit StormBox Blast Bluetooth Speaker: Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom