BBC FA Cup semi and final in 4K HDR

Yep, definitely up for giving it a go. Was quite impressed with the World Cup coverage last year.

Will give it a bash.

HDR for cert or HLG?

HDR for cert or HLG?

HLG is the "flavour" of High Dynamic Range that the BBC have developed and use. It's the only flavour of HDR that allows simultaneous, live, broadcast in both HDR and SDR (for TVs that cannot decode HDR). Otherwise they'd have to have separate channels of the broadcasts, which they deemed not to be cost effective and too confusing for the audience. As it is, fewer than 60,000 people tuned into the World Cup Final in UHD as opposed to the 10,000,000 who watched in HD, last year, and I'm pretty sure there were many more that could have watched in UHD but didn't know how.

HLG is the "flavour" of High Dynamic Range that the BBC have developed and use. It's the only flavour of HDR that allows simultaneous, live, broadcast in both HDR and SDR (for TVs that cannot decode HDR). Otherwise they'd have to have separate channels of the broadcasts, which they deemed not to be cost effective and too confusing for the audience. As it is, fewer than 60,000 people tuned into the World Cup Final in UHD as opposed to the 10,000,000 who watched in HD, last year, and I'm pretty sure there were many more that could have watched in UHD but didn't know how.
Yeah, too many versions (up on all the rest of it as well:smashin:). Just checking that they are HLG and not HDR as per thread title.

BT and Sky keep saying HDR later in the year but wonder what version it will actually be (suspect HLG).

Yep, definitely up for giving it a go. Was quite impressed with the World Cup coverage last year.

D’oh!! Forgot for a minute that I’m currently in Cyprus, won’t be home before the weekend and forgot to bring my tv with me :)

Yeah, too many versions (up on all the rest of it as well:smashin:). Just checking that they are HLG and not HDR as per thread title.

BT and Sky keep saying HDR later in the year but wonder what version it will actually be (suspect HLG).

HLG is one format to store HDR data. Saying HLG isn't HDR is like saying an MP3 isn't an audio file.

HLG is a different way of storing HDR data to HDR10, but it is HDR, and in some ways it's a better HDR format than HDR10.

HLG is one format to store HDR data. Saying HLG isn't HDR is like saying an MP3 isn't an audio file.

HLG is a different way of storing HDR data to HDR10, but it is HDR, and in some ways it's a better HDR format than HDR10.
Not sure I did. More a reference to the different names for the format and knowing what kit does what.
e.g My TV will do HDR10. It will not do HDR + or HLG or Dolby Vision or HDR 1 (technicolour??) etc. I see a thread saying HDR and needed to check, but it is the HLG version.
Is all.
:)

Edit. Flatpanels links allowed in here?

Not sure I did. More a reference to the different names for the format and knowing what kit does what.
e.g My TV will do HDR10. It will not do HDR + or HLG or Dolby Vision or HDR 1 (technicolour??) etc. I see a thread saying HDR and needed to check, but it is the HLG version.
Is all.
:)

Edit. Flatpanels links allowed in here?

Yes, links to other AV news/review etc. sites are fine.

HDR+ is a technology for applying picture processing to SDR pictures and not an HDR format. You may be thinking of HDR10+

If you want a general term for HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision then I generally refer to them as PQ-based HDR, as they're all based around the PQ gamma curve.

But HDR is the general name for the technology, it's not shorthand for HDR10.

I did once and it was scrubbed.
Think confusion is in the house. I know that "HDR" can cover a few things and probably should not have just said "HDR" but "HDR10". All I wanted to know was what version. It is getting busy with the various options and what works with what.
Wont bother with the link, the diagram is probably out of date by now anyway.

Onwards and upwards.

Shall be using my Panasonic 820 which does HLG and converts to what my TV works in.

Hi @Over by there. re HDR -

HLG is a format jointly developed by the BBC and NHK (Japan) specifically for live television broadcasts.

Whereas HDR10 (and others) is only suited to and for On Demand content due to far higher bit rates and processing power needed.

Both BT & Sky will at some point be using the BBCs & NHKs HLG format, but at this point its only expected to be for live sport, mainly football. BT are going to launch its HDR service at some point this year (expected to be in time for the new football season) on a range of compatible TVs, tablets and mobiles. With strong rumours of a new HDR 4K YouView box but thats unconfirmed. Sky have publicly said nothing but they too are expected to launch this year just before the new football season via Sky Q only. Hope that helps.

Gonna bang my head on a wall:p
It's a naming thing, I know the difference. The papers on them are interesting and why that route and the reasons. I get that.

All I missed out was 10 in a naming convention fudgeup. It is getting crowded, when I got my TV 10 was it and all mine will do. That sticks in the mind. Though being BBC I should have realised it would be HLG but just saying HDR was it 10 or HLG. You never know with tests so I just wanted to be sure.

BT issued a press release earlier in the year and I sort of assume Sky would not be far behind, I sort of assumed it would be HLG for the reasons already known. There are already other broadcasters saying they will be doing it and one report of a live UK match in the US as HDR (insert version) the other week. No idea if that was a from site or bigged up in the US.

Also BT says they will bring 4k and HDR to their App, but the press release mentions several makes in one go, my interest would be Apple.

:D

BT Sport app promises 4K HDR on wide range of devices

Gonna bang my head on a wall:p
It's a naming thing, I know the difference. The papers on them are interesting and why that route and the reasons. I get that.

All I missed out was 10 in a naming convention fudgeup. It is getting crowded, when I got my TV 10 was it and all mine will do. That sticks in the mind. Though being BBC I should have realised it would be HLG but just saying HDR was it 10 or HLG. You never know with tests so I just wanted to be sure.

BT issued a press release earlier in the year and I sort of assume Sky would not be far behind, I sort of assumed it would be HLG for the reasons already known. There are already other broadcasters saying they will be doing it and one report of a live UK match in the US as HDR (insert version) the other week. No idea if that was a from site or bigged up in the US.

Also BT says they will bring 4k and HDR to their App, but the press release mentions several makes in one go, my interest would be Apple.

:D

BT Sport app promises 4K HDR on wide range of devices

You're going to love this. It's the email notification of the next uhd trial and even this only mentions that it's HDR and no mention of which flavour HDR it's going to be (although you can rest assured it WILL be HLG). LOL

Hello,
Thanks for signing up for notifications.

We’re pleased to announce a new cutting edge trial on BBC iPlayer, bringing football fans the Manchester City v Brighton FA Cup semi-final (Saturday 6 April) and final (Saturday 18 May) live in Ultra HD and HDR for the first time.

You'll need to be watching on a supported device. You'll also need a high-speed internet connection of 40Mbit/s for the full 3840 pixel Ultra HD experience, or 20MBit/s for 2560 pixel Ultra HD. It's recommended that a wired connection from the TV to the home router is used for the most consistent performance.

To start watching the live stream in Ultra HD, either:

• press the Red Button while watching the BBC's coverage on BBC One
• open the BBC iPlayer app on your connected TV

You'll need to grab your seat early as there is a limited number of spaces available (tens of thousands) for each match.

More information about supported devices can be found here:

BBC iPlayer Help - Can I watch programmes in Ultra HD on my connected TV?

Thanks again for your interest, we will be in touch again the next time a UHD programme becomes available.

Thank you for contacting us.

BBC iPlayer Team
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help

Damn those empty seats look amazing

Agreed picture quality was amazing !

Bbc hd looked rubbish when I flicked off the player to hd :)

Very impressed :cool:

Agreed picture quality was amazing !

Bbc hd looked rubbish when I flicked off the player to hd :)

Very impressed :cool:
I thought the same, watched start of second half in back room while eating my tea. Normal hd looked so rubbish.
Shame sound wasn’t 5.1 (or was it and I didn’t realise)

I'd love to try it but fibre isn't available to me yet. I did try it using my 4.5 mb connection and it looked fantastic - for about three seconds.

Wrong match on yesterday.

Hi @Over by there. re HDR -

HLG is a format jointly developed by the BBC and NHK (Japan) specifically for live television broadcasts.

Whereas HDR10 (and others) is only suited to and for On Demand content due to far higher bit rates and processing power needed.

Both BT & Sky will at some point be using the BBCs & NHKs HLG format, but at this point its only expected to be for live sport, mainly football. BT are going to launch its HDR service at some point this year (expected to be in time for the new football season) on a range of compatible TVs, tablets and mobiles. With strong rumours of a new HDR 4K YouView box but thats unconfirmed. Sky have publicly said nothing but they too are expected to launch this year just before the new football season via Sky Q only. Hope that helps.

Rumour has it the HDR trial isn't too far off on mobile devices for BT's app.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom