BBC ends Sky Digital contract.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MonkeyDonkey, Mar 12, 2003.

1. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    All the BBC channels are free to SKY D viewers, under this new arrangment all the BBC channels are free to SKY D viewers and a few thousand UK citizens with FTA digital receivers and a few million Europeans with FTA digital receivers.
    The BBC can also now launch all the regional services, hang on there was nothing stopping them before except there own desire to make Freeview a better bet than SKY for non subscription TV.

The BBC will save £85million over the next 5 years which of course will got to the progam/movie/sport distributors who charge more for their programming which goes onto FTA digital satellite compared to FTV digital satellite.
    Lets not forget that all sporting rights will be more expensive and those that the BBC own will sell for less as western european countries will point out that signals from 2D are picked up in their countries.

I listened to a report of this on my local BBC radio this afternoon, I was very surprised how it was spun to make it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    They mentioned no longer having to subscribe to SKY (Which you don't have to anyway) and that a cheap FTA digital receiver is all you need, forgeting to mention you still need a dish/lnb/installation and a SKY digibox for ITV, CH4 and five.
    Pretty pathetic reporting on the BBC's part I thought.

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    "But it will mean the channels will be transmitted from a different satellite to the one presently used."

Let hope the compression improve, ie get better pictures. But I doubt it

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Forgive my ignorance on this point, but if BBC is coming from a different satellite does this mean that some sort of hardware modification (e.g dish reallignment) will be required to my Sky Digital setup in order for me to view BBC channels through it? This is rather important in my part of London, because the terrestrial analogue reception is absolutely shocking. (We get the signal twice - once direct and once bounced off Canary Wharf).

5. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    colleague told me it'll move to ASTRA 2d which should be in same position in the sky... so should require no adjustments

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, maybe I have this wrong, but if this move is saving the BBC £85million then Sky are losing £85million?

Let's see how long it takes for subscriptions to go up again to cover this... or maybe that's what the last round was intended to do :eek:

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

A lot of the channels you currently watch via SKY D are broadcast from Astra 2D.
    There are 4 satellites that SKY pull channels from using the minidish and 2D just happens to be more focused on the UK.
    You will not notice any change in your viewing assuming the switch over goes smoothly.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The £85 million quoted is over the next 5 years and based on the NEW prices SKY are charging for encryption which covers 6.5 million subscribers and the FTV users.
    The more subscribers/viewers the more money it costs to encrypt, not a big issue for subscription channels who get a cash return per subscriber for being in a subscription package.

The quoted figure from the BBC which works out at £17 million a year (Which is peanuts for broadcast TV) is based on an assumption that programming costs for sport/movies etc will not increase but as they will be FTA instead of FTV so they will cost more.

9. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Murdoch has us all by the plums!!

This will not really effect how we watch TV, all it does is send a signal to Murdoch that he has the BBC really worried about his broadcasting monopoly (cable is not competing & FreeView is just plain russish and sales for that will slow now).

What the goverbnment has to do is make every single TV sold from now on have integrated digital receiving capacity inside.

This should have been done about 2 years ago. They would then be able to turn off analogue in the next couple of years because digital penetration would be at around 70-80% by now.

Buy shares in Sky now!!! They have no competition

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I thnik in the next 10 years sky will get more competition than they can shake a stick at. Un fortunately Microsoft are going to be the main contender :(

11. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Microsoft? What are they doing then? I would like to know about this...