BBC disappointed by iPlayer traffic from Smart TVs

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
So what about the rest?

Despite the rise of Smart TVs and the almost ubiquitous appearance of BBC iPlayer on the various platforms, Smart TVs account for only around 2% of iPlayer's traffic.

Daniel Danker, General Manager, Programmes and On-Demand in the BBC's Future Media Division, is not happy about this and has called for industry co-operation to raise the adoption rates for Connected TV.

During a keynote presentation at TV Connect in London, Danker said that despite iPlayer's incredible adoption rate, compared with the likes of smartphones and tablets, viewing via Connected TVs only represented 2 per cent of overall iPlayer consumption figures.

“It shouldn't be any less popular than colour TV,” he claimed. “We have to get together as an industry to raise adoption rates."

attachment.php

Danker has suggested that the experience has to be made more seamless and consistent across the platforms and that that today's teenagers were shaping the future of Internet TV with their consumption habits, Danker said that the industry must “tear down barriers that older audiences won't tolerate”.

Considering BBC iPlayer has proved to be the most popular of all the Smart TV services, doesn't say much for the rest of them.

Source: Advanced Television

Attachments

• apps2.jpg
    apps2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 515
I think the TV companies could do more to make the SMART TV service on their units more appealing and desireable. If they made it seem like its almost as easy as just tuning in to regular aerial/antenna-based content I'm sure it'd garner much more interest from viewers. Making the process of setting up the internet connection to the TV set feel easy to do is vital to really making SMART TV a success.

Reason its unpopular is because it sucks tbh.

Of all the big channel on demand services iPlayer is the best and they cant simplify the interface anymore. But on a tv its useless constant streaming issues make it a constant battle where as on an iphone/ipad/laptop its simple.

nevaborn said:
reason its unpopular is because it sucks tbh.

Of all the big channel on demand services iplayer is the best and they cant simplify the interface anymore. But on a tv its useless constant streaming issues make it a constant battle where as on an iphone/ipad/laptop its simple.

+1

Well I have a 2012 Samsung and iplayer is the best of the catchup services
I have no trouble with buffering at all
It's easy to use and it plays hd no problem and looks superb.

They do not mention anything about digi-recorders including Sky which offer users a better way of using iplayer because it stores/buffers content on the hard disk and overcomes the buffering issue. That surely must have an effect on the use of smart TVs and the take up as these use live streaming where buffering can be an issue.

I think its because people just record their stuff,why dont they have it as partof the red button,now that would be fantantic.......no need for a recorder.

couldn't even select the HD version of anything the last time i had a play with the iPlayer app on my LG Smart TV, so haven't bothered with it again. I have the PC connected to that TV anyway so I may as well use the PC version.

Just goes to show what a general waste of time these smart platforms are on tv and how manufactures should concrete on other things.... Such as ironing out the picture quality issues

My parents have used it once or twice, I don't really like to, I prefer to download anything that I might be bothered about missing, streaming content is not the best way to do it for the broadband speed we have.

The Iplayer app on the TV would get used more if I could download shows in HD on my PC then watch them over the network on the tv

imo BBC are let done by the other free-to-air providers (ITV, C4 and C5). As popular as iPlayer is, one offering alone is not going to be enough. Would go as far as to use the comparison of dial-up vs broadband in terms of where BBC and Sky are compared to other UK channels

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom