BBC Digital Text v Analogue

Habanero

Is it just me, or is the teletext service provided by BBC worse on digital Freeview than it is on the old analogue system???

Earlier today, I heard about the announcement of the royal wedding, and put on BBC digital teletext, but there was no mention in the top news items. I switched to analogue text, which had the full story, however come next Spring, this will cease to be an option in my region. The story only appeared on digital text about 2-3 hours later.

I've often found in the past that whilst analogue text carries up to the moment football scores, digital teletext on page 316 sometimes does not even list games as taking place, and when it does, these can be 30 minutes or more out of date.

As I write, the Entertainment News on page 501 has headlines including "French and Henry granted divorce" and "Reggae star Isaacs dies aged 59". A quick web search suggests both these events happened on 25th October.

Are others seeing the same, or am I going mad?

prking

I believe they had some technical problems yesterday. I would be cautious at generalising from that one occasion.
I'm sure I've read that the data source is identical for most of Ceefax and BBC red button.

Habanero

Looks like they are still having some technical problems. One of the stories on page 101 at the moment is "Brown confirms election on 6 May"!

Last edited:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
And the local weather forecast (P402) is for last Friday!

On a more general note though, I must say I'm going to miss CEEFAX after DSO, as I find digital teletext a big backward step.

But then I'm often accused of being a broken spoke in the wheel of progress! :D

prking

I do miss CEEFAX , but I think that the red button is designed to serve a different purpose. In an ideal world I think both would be available.

Eddydeb

Standard Member
The sports results on Freeview text are often wrong, out of date or just not there - but they are usually correct on analogue text. It is a regular occurrence.
On Sunday (21/11) pm, there was no mention of the Fulham V Man City game on the Freeview scores page - it just showed the Blue Square Premier game but it was correct on analogue. Also I have seen cricket scores from Thursday still being shown as the latest ones on the following Saturday and Sunday.
You would have thought the scores and results were from the same source data for analogue and digital pages so why are they different so often?

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Welcome to the Forum. :)

You would have thought the scores and results were from the same source data for analogue and digital pages so why are they different so often?

Yes indeed.

One thing they do have in common is a lack of spell checking. :thumbsdow

Even my old computer has one.

Perhaps it's the cut backs! ;)

whatsupdoc

The thing I miss most is the Business news on Teletext C4.

I will never forgive the Daily Mail for abandoning their contract.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom