Question BBC consults on iPlayer programme availability

D

Deleted member 765458

The BBC is launching a public consultation on its plans to reinvent BBC iPlayer – making it a destination in its own right, with box sets, live programming and archive titles that champion quality UK content and offer great programmes for longer.

BBC consults on iPlayer programme availability

The way they ruined their back catalogue, killed Blake 7, Survivors, Goodies, Red Dwarf and pay excessive wages to dull fake celebrities, that drive TV licence up. I hope they sink.

I don’t get the need for this consultation at all. The BBC sits on a vast archive of material. Making it available won’t hurt the commercial operators because they don’t have the same stuff. All4 houses a vast library too. Sure, they pad stuff out with commercials, but C4 is testing a paid-for service that will be ad. free. The ITV Hub has the facility in place already.

Frankly, I’m bored with the BBC whinging about how Netflix and Amazon have an unfair advantage. The two types of service are not the same. The BBC is a PSB broadcaster, with a specific role to play. That it offers a catch-up service is all well and good, but it could make its archive available if it wanted to without this nonsense, and make content available for longer, but it currently chooses not to. Perhaps if it focussed on improving iPlayer (proper HD picture, multichannel audio, decent FF/REW options, etc.) and actually delivered stuff that people want to watch I’d be more sympathetic. I used to be a big advocate for the BBC, but frankly I’m sick of its politically correct, left-leaning take on everything, and output (BBC4HD excepted, perhaps) that’s past its sell-by date. Its archive, which it chooses not to make available, points to a time when the corporation made stuff that people actually wanted to watch.

This whole exercise seems like a big smokescreen to me. Having read the consultation paper, I don’t think it’s needed. Ho-hum.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom