BBC considers charging Licence Fee for iPlayer

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by hodg100, Feb 27, 2014.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      The BBC Director General calls for modernisation of the current licence fee arrangements and suggests those accessing online should pay for it too.

So, readers, what do you think: Should the licence fee apply to those consuming only online and how would they police that?

Further, should the licence fee exist at all?

BBC considers charging Licence Fee for iPlayer | AVForums

2. taz1941

taz1941

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      With respect.......NO! fed up of BBC plucking figures and sticking it to the public. VICTORY V'S!

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,501
      Quality programming at a decent price with no advertising to spoil the enjoyment.

Sky, BT charge for their online service so why not the BBC, if you have a TV licence then you should get online access free on up to 2 or 3 devices.

Use the Sky model for policing and charging

4. goodfella121

goodfella121

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      it would be better if we didn't have to paid at all but as that's not the case everyone should pay to watch bbc stuff . I think the only way to police it would be to have a login system that u have to link to your licence . if u don't have a licence you have to ppv for them .

5. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +944
      Well it's certainly most unfair that those who can afford online-streaming devices and the internet bandwidth to use them DO NOT require a licence just because they don't watch 'live TV' via that medium while everyone else with normal TV does (even the very poorest)!

The basic TV licence / no TV licence issue has been debated to death many times on various forums so I won't go there (except IMV it's the best of a bad bunch of alternatives).

This (Freeview) isn't really the ideal forum though (??) as the subject applies to all 'platforms' (YouView, satellite and cable) as well as the computer/streaming platforms (perhaps more so the latter)? But I'm :censored: if I know the 'best' place for it to get the widest audience :rotfl: - especially those in the watch-catchup-only camp?

6. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +39
      I only use catch up ,no licence,no internet either,I just pop to my local library,wetherspoons etc,download what i want.There are other ways to download bbc programmes other than the iplayer.The internet killed the cd,now its killing live tv,its time the bbc went with the times and maybe go pay per view.

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +618
      Pay per view would certainly be more expensive than a licence based service delivering 7 channels plus radio and iplayer services for a few pence a day. It's time to put a charge to those who say they never watch "live" BBC programmes. I would suspect this rule is soon broken for soaps and sporting events. I do believe that some proportion of the fee should go to other broadcasters in particular Channel 4 for their quality news and public service programmes.

8. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +133
      rodders - It is actually possible to watch BBC programs live over the internet (Top Gear, Dragons Den are two I watch regularly online as they are broadcast) and I think this is a good step forward for iplayer et al.

I totally agree , the licence fee (while I think is quite steep for a household consisting of a single person) should be applicable to all who consume BBC content, no matter how they consume that content.

Any given houshold shouldnt be limited to a fixed amount of streams however - after all, no one is limited to how many tv's they have so why should it make a difference that its online. Obviously if the government decide BBC cant charge for online (in their "wisdom" then this wouldnt be that surprising), then limiting the amounts of "free" streams per houshold would be a reasonable compromise.

edit - Pat - you are still a consumer, so just because you are downloading something after the fact should have no legal difference to someone consuming live over the air.

I actually thought there was a legal disclaimer currently on iplayer that one had to agree too stating they have a current TV licence before iplayer streams anything at all

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    9. Fake Shempz

Fake Shempz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +180
    10. gadget man

gadget man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +129
      No TV license for years now i use only catch-up service. Will not pay the license fee ever. With today's technology know-body needs to pay a license fee.

11. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      You will if they change the rules!

12. gadget man

gadget man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +129
      I Will Not, i only watch a couple of programmes a week can do without TV, mostly watch blu-rays.

13. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +105
      So who pays for it? Everyone else?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    14. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +618
      Really? I very much doubt that. You are just a licence dodger even if you only watch "a couple of programmes a week". I'm sure we would like to know what they are.

15. aVdub

aVdub
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12,088
      I hardly watch TV, the OH only watches a few crappy soaps on the bbc and if we do watch tv its mostly channel 4 & if it was not for her I would have stopped paying years ago (music & movies suit me better)

I would be happy to see adverts on the bbc and not have to pay for something I don't really use.

16. gadget man

gadget man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +129
      Well yes know body has a gun to your head, the station should have commercials
      Film 2014 and dragon's den so there. i am not a license dodger i simply do not watch BS, soaps and repeats and the comment above me is spot on bring on the commercials.

17. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      You clearly are a licence dodger as you have admitted watching a couple of programmes a week. I hope you get caught and fined the maximum. Why should everyone else pay for you?

Commercials on the BBC are not the answer. This would just put up the price of products that everyone buys including genuine no TV households.

18. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +48
      I thought anyone who had equipment capable of watching tv recordings ie tv/video recorder/pc monitor/ already had to have a licence? The Iplayer shows tv recordings, so you should need a licence. Mobile phones I'm not sure about but in this day and age why not, they're basically a mini pc.

19. gadget man

gadget man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +129
      have you been to the bbc website and checked. if you watch catchup TV you do NOT need a TV License so get your facts right before you post on here.

20. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +105
      You don't need any money to go to the pub, you can just let other people buy you drinks.
      If that's the way you're inclined.

21. dalethecaptain

dalethecaptain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42
      The licence fee is archaic and funds a large part of the distinctly non partisan BBC news content. 'State Run' Television has no place in modern media, ask the people of the Ukraine their views on it, its had its day.

The BBC takes the taxpayers money (it is a tax, under threat of fines or gaol) and uses it to make programmes which it then sells around the world and siphons the profits off to BBC Worldwide. The BBC is also now synonymous around the world with decades of institutional paedophelia, so it needs to be put down swiftly before Mr Hall and cronies pick our pockets to pay for content that would otherwise be made elsewhere by other TV producers for less money.

22. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +618
      To condemn the BBC on the grounds that in some ways it supports paedophilia is clearly nonsense. Offenders have been, rightly, brought to justice from all branches of the media, indeed all walks of life.
      I’m in no doubt at all that the TV licence is a form of taxation and I have said previously that the money raised might not be directed solely at the BBC. I also pay Road and Fuel tax knowing that every penny collected does not go into improving the roads. By paying a TV licence I am at least to subscribing to a product I use.

Those who are opposed to the present system rarely seem to consider the alternatives. It is true that many subscribe to satellite and (in my case) cable services, but the majority rely on free to air services via Freeview. They simply could not afford to fork out money on pay per channel or pay per view service. We are fortunate in the UK that even the amount of commercial time is regulated in relation to how it intrudes into the evenings viewing. You have only to watch channels in other countries, especially the USA, to find yourself being bombarded by sponsorship messages and commercial breaks and wishing you were watching the BBC where such things do not exist. That alone is worth the licence fee. The rise in popularity of the ‘boxed set’ in many parts of the world is partly due to the luxury of watching a continuous drama without adverts.

A lot of quality, and popular, programmes would simply not be made if funding had to be provided on the basis that at the end of the day productions could only be justified on the basis of attracting mass audiences. Simply look at the struggle independent film makers have in finding finance for what eventually become top rated movies. Even in the USA if a new programme does manage to reach the screen it is very quickly axed, sometimes mid series, if targets are not met. The BBC, and other UK programme makers, have produced a number of shows that have been slow burners to start with and are now classics selling all over the world. In summary there is a degree of creative freedom that often breaks new ground which could not exist under a solely commercially funded exercise. American TV, good though it is at times, often falls back into safe formulaic programmes. A recent symposium of international programme buyers highlighted the fact the American TV is becoming less saleable around the world because of this.

It is true that the BBC has been party to some mismanagement blunders and these need a quick resolution. I have no problem with the BBC Worldwide marketing set-up, provided a proportion of the profits are ploughed back into making new programmes.

Finally what is often overlooked in these discussions is the technical pioneering aspects of the BBC. Over the years FM radio, stereo on radio and TV, UHF transmissions, higher definition pictures (ITV were still churning out 405 line definition long after the BBC started to adopt 625 lines), colour, widescreen*, teletext, free to air 3D (albeit a short-lived experiment), an iPlayer service, a multichannel service, ‘red button’ service and no doubt others were all pioneered in the UK from the coffers of the BBC licence fee. Is a commercially funded set-up going to even risk investment in new enterprises? True they did not ‘invent’ all this but they delivered it when ITV, despite making huge profits at the time, were slow off the mark.

So please stop inventing spurious reasons why you cannot subscribe 41p a day to retain what we should be proud of. Perhaps a compromise can be reached over iPlayer services where they can carry advertising as most on-line systems do then this would seem a fair way of collecting income.

* For the pedantic Channel 4 did trial widescreen in PAL+ format but it was not widely accepted by TV manufacturers.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    23. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +133
      Those who consider catch up SHOULD be free should go into Tesco's with the same mindset and see if they allow you to walk off without paying for your shopping on the proviso that you arent eating it right then, but plan to later :)

The interesting thing about the iplayer legalese is whether tv license enforcers have ways of proving that any person is ONLY using iplayer as catchup rather than the simulcast option.

As mentioned above, in regards to TVs previously it was relatively easy to prove whether there was an aerial etc attached or not and therefore whether you were liable for the TV licence fee. It should be irrelevant whether iplayer is used only as catch up, as you have the facility to watch it live and you are still consuming the product.

24. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +618
      Until quite recently whenever you bought a TV or any apparatus like a recorder that was capable of receiving a television signal you had to pass on your address, via the retailer, to the licensing authorities. I remember doing this in Argos. The rules were changed, as I understand it, so that every household is now considered a potential receiver of television signals unless they could prove otherwise. Not an easy thing to determine. It is surprising how many people still have a black and white TV.

In the days of analogue television it was possible for a Detector Van to sit outside your home and prove that a programme was being watched. The apparatus could even tell which channel you were watching by picking up intermediate frequencies generated within the TV. It is my understanding that this is no longer possible with present day sets although the official website indicates otherwise.*
      Those without licences were fined and if they failed to pay could have their TVs removed. Happy days !!

* TV Licensing - Detection and penalties

25. Fake Shempz

Fake Shempz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +180
      For those that say the BBC should show advertising instead of charging a licence fee...you do realise, that if they did this, would most likely more than halve ITV/C4/C5 advertising income, and potentially lead to those channels going out of business.

26. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      If people want American TV with long adverts everywhere, nearly all trash TV (given, they have the odd exception but by definition that is not the norm), plus online "catchup" services charging on a PPV basis, plus all news services charging you to read anything, subscription this, subscription that, go right ahead and demand the end of the license fee. It'll be the end of decent TV.

It makes me laugh when people complain about just over £100 license fee and then pay £540 to Sky for 200 channels of mostly crud.

27. HMHB

HMHB
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,249
      I actually complained to the BBC the other year that people are able to watch programs that us licence payers are paying for and they are watching them for free.

I think that there should be a licence fee for watching BBC programs online. Maybe they could extend this to the US and other countries abroad and make some money that way.

This could help to keep our contributions down or maybe allow them to make programs that aren't all reality and dancing/cooking/singing competitive type garbage!

28. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      By using the American spelling for programmes I assume you mean they could make American type rubbish. We really don't want that on the BBC.

29. HMHB

HMHB
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,249
      No I'm using the spelling of programs that I've used for the last 30 years of writing computer programs :)

30. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +833
      i would rather they went to adverts like all the other channels do. then i can just record it and fast forward through all the add breaks. get rid of the tv license