BBC comments on switching to HD News

StooMonster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd save anyone else looking it up - or maybe it's just me.

visceral
adj
1. instinctual: proceeding from instinct rather than from reasoned thinking
2. emotional: characterized by or showing basic emotions
3. anatomy of internal organs: relating to or affecting one or more internal organs of the body

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Cheers,

Martin.

Had no idea that "visceral" would need to be looked up!

In this context the BBC obviously mean your third definition in regard to news feeds from war zones.

StooMonster

Me to, didnt have a clue what it ment :)

Stunned. :confused:

Anyway, interesting news from BBC News; reads like planning for HD news is underway.

StooMonster

StooMonster said:

Anyway, interesting news from BBC News; reads like planning for HD news is underway.

StooMonster

Yes, it is interesting, and please accept my apologies for hijacking your original thread with the definition of "that word".

Cheers,

Martin.

StooMonster said:

StooMonster

I would couch it more in terms of BBC News ensuring they understand the requirements in HD terms for acquisition, editing, links and studio production, especially when considering future purchases.

I wouldn't take it to mean BBC News will be in HD during the trial period. After all there are no US Network News shows in HD - unless you count Good Morning America (which is more chat, and which has mainly SD news inserts, though some HD lives) (I know there is an HD news network, or was, but it isn't one of the big networks - like ABC, Fox, CNN, ABC, CNN etc. - though I know CNN have some HD production gear, and NHK in Japan are doing news in HD, as will Al Jazeera International - who've just poached a few more staff from the BBC and CNN for London and Kuala Lumpur)

mjcairney said:
As I said, maybe it's just me, unless someone else owns up as well. :devil: :devil:

Cheers,

Martin.

Viscera is Latin for womb .

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Chris Muriel said:
Viscera is Latin for womb .

Chris Muriel, Manchester

I don't think so...I'm sure the latin for womb is 'uterus'.
I thought 'viscera' meant 'internal organs' or 'meat'..

Though in my experience trying to correct someone elses grammar, spelling or pronunciation usually ends up in me making a similar mistake :D

I would have thought the main reason for the reports not being in HD was the size of the HD cameras, but I've seen you talking of how much smaller and better they have got over recent years.

Ian Guinan

Ian is technically correct - I used the usual church latin translation as used in several biblical texts and prayers (including ISTR the "Hail Mary").
Uterus is more specific - and I should have thought about this before I posted but my brain was in semi auotomatic mode.
Incidentally I did get a grade 1 Latin O'Level but not at a private school - normal grammar school.
Caesar adsum jam forte, passus sum sed Antoni:)

Chris Muriel, Manchester

I think HD news will be popular. I've seen clips from Hurrcane Katrina, The Jetblue A320 emergency landing taken from a HD news helicopter and various US political events. They all look so real compared the the standards converted NTSC we usually get.

twarde said:
I think HD news will be popular. I've seen clips from Hurrcane Katrina, The Jetblue A320 emergency landing taken from a HD news helicopter and various US political events. They all look so real compared the the standards converted NTSC we usually get.

Yep - but then so does 16:9 576/50i SD compared to 4:3 standards converted NTSC cropped and zoomed to 14:9 pillarbox.
;)

If international new feeds were good quality standard-def, it would be a start. Many feeds are simply terrible quality, and I'm not talking about videophone, amateur or mobile phone footage.

mjcairney said:
Now where did I put my Latin dictionary?

Cheers,

Martin.

For anyone who didn't twig to that old Latin schoolboy joke, try just saying it in English (like Caesar 'ad some jam for tea etc.)
Doesn't make a lot of sense translated - Caesar perhaps I am already present.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Chris Muriel said:
For anyone who didn't twig to that old Latin schoolboy joke, try just saying it in English (like Caesar 'ad some jam for tea etc.)
Doesn't make a lot of sense translated - Caesar perhaps I am already present.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

I knew I ran the risk of you thinking that I hadn't twigged it but, as someone who did Latin at school (not exactly yesterday, I must admit), I did see it, believe it or not.

Anyway, no problem, it doesn't really matter , does it?

Cheers,

Martin.

Off topic unless somebody finds news of a BBC high definition service in Latin :boring:

Chris Muriel, Manchester

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom