BBC Christmas Ghost Stories on DVD

It certainly is a must. Just the thing for the long cold nights. My wife has the box set pre-ordered with Amazon and I'll be looking for price drops and discount codes before release.

My favorite was this

Cool looking forward to these :)

Tesco currently have another 15% off offer for a £25 spend (code T15OFF25 at checkout). Reduces the price of this set to £30.66 :thumbsup:

I wish they'd do a blu of Mark Gatiss's Crooked House
was quite creepy, especially the denoument of the door knocker episode

Only by a week though yes?

Is it? I couldn't remember, I just knew that it seems like ages ago that I ordered it and I had told the kids all about The Signalman and was looking forward to watching it with them.

It's always been down for 22nd October but Amazon are now saying 29th. The individual releases are trickling out already though.

Presumably the box set will just be the individual releases slipcased. Perhaps there has been a delay at the printer. I can wait a bit longer. Looking forward to watching these over the winter rather than for Halloween.

Me too - I associate these more with the cold dark winter nights and Christmas time rather than Halloween.

For that we are having a double bill of the new Blu Releases of Halloween III: Season of the Witch and Mario Bava's Black Sunday! :)

However if it comes in time for Halloween, pride of place on the evening will be given to the fist ever official DVD release of The Uninvited (see this thread... http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-rays-dvds-download-services/1607411-last-uninvited-1944-dvd.html )

My only regret is that there is no Blu release, only DVD.

Last edited:
Notice that there's some artwork shown on Amazon now, and the price is now £36 which makes me feel quite chuffed with my £26.

:)

Just had email notification of dispatch. I'm really looking forward to watching these again after 30+ years.

Just taken delivery, and quite impressed by the way it is presented.

The box set includes two cases. One is a thicker four disk case titled "The MR James Collection" and the other is a standard case with "The Signalman", "Stigma" and "The Ice House". The second is likely to be the exact same product that is available separately, the first is likely to be the product I pre-ordered when it was initially advertised as 4 disks. The benefits of pre-ordering eh?

Both cases feature a nice booklet.

Rather chuffed with it so far, subject to viewing later.

There hasn't been a scarier 45 mins of TV since 'Whistle And I'll Come To You', Michael Horden is fantastic. The ending of The Treasure Of Abbot Thomas' is change your pants scary too :eek:

I've got the BFI DVD's of 'Whistle' and 'A Warning To The Curious', Need to upgrade to this Boxset ready for Xmas.

u4coffee said:
Just taken delivery, and quite impressed by the way it is presented.

The box set includes two cases. One is a thicker four disk case titled "The MR James Collection" and the other is a standard case with "The Signalman", "Stigma" and "The Ice House". The second is likely to be the exact same product that is available separately, the first is likely to be the product I pre-ordered when it was initially advertised as 4 disks. The benefits of pre-ordering eh?

Both cases feature a nice booklet.

Rather chuffed with it so far, subject to viewing later.

Glad this has been treated well rather than just being vomited into existence. I know mine has arrived at work but I'm working from home today so I will just have to be patient.

Glad this has been treated well rather than just being vomited into existence. I know mine has arrived at work but I'm working from home today so I will just have to be patient.

Certainly hasn't been "vomited into existence".

Nothing special about the DVD cases of course, but just reading through the booklets now and I must say they are very interesting indeed.

Detailed essays on each of the stories, plus MR James, Jonathan Miller, and Lawrence Gordon Clark.

There's actually two essays on "The Signalman".

I do like the fact that the MR James stories are boxed separately.

The essay to "The Signalman" by Matthew Sweet paints a very interesting background to the story.

It was written by Dickens shortly after he narrowly avoided death in a rail accident in 1865. The Folkstone Boat Express hit a gap in the track, left by a repair gang, and seven first-class carriages plunged down the edge of a viaduct into a river. Dickens was in the eighth carriage.

It certainly adds to the story knowing this, and I had no idea of it previously.

Dickens died five years to the day after the incident.

I have never seen any of these, tho I do like a good ghost story. Is this worth picking up then, even on the DVD format?

I have never seen any of these, tho I do like a good ghost story. Is this worth picking up then, even on the DVD format?

Yes, I'd say so. Not much scares me but these really do put the chills down my spine, I can't watch any of the M.R. James adaptations alone. Very effective.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom