BBC Choice & 24

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by VMAX, Aug 5, 2002.

1. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Why do the BBC assume that the viewing public is so stupid that they cannot realise the program they are watching is >new< after 30 secs and must have arrows pointing at " new" for the entire show? Maybe this is to remind BBC staff who also cannot comprehend how to work out what channel they are watching and need a logo to keep them loyal to their employer. Sorry for the rant but it is beginning to spoil my concentration when watching. Perhaps I should have waited for the DVD.
    V-Max

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Complain to the beeb.
    I take it you don't have Sky? The beeb and Sky et al are all doing it from ideas which have trickled across from US TV. However, at least many of the US stations do have less obvious logos AND present them at the bottum of the screen. I hate logos with a passion.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It annoys the hell out of me too. :mad:

It's not just on 24 though - it's on loads of programmes. [​IMG]

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I was initially surprised when beeb channels did this, but now rue the day that 1&2 do it too as it's sure to come. People have complained to Sky in vain only to get the same dumbing down repsponse that it's due to their huge number of channels so's people don't get lost to what and where they're viewing:mad: :mad: :mad:
    Hum, so the menu channel guide, and bar aren't enough. Or bought tv guides? Ya Ha:mad:
    You could use to press the select button and the channel bar would come on screen to say which one it was, not any more. Wonder why? People tend to agree it's a way Murdoch (huck tu) maintains lower prices for buys as by putting logos, buttons and interminable 4 minute ad breaks it further prevents videoing for keepsake instead of prerecorded buys - plus the poor bit rates of course. Oh and Sky show channels like Choice in 4:3 - another reason to go FTA.
    Actually, come to think it, a group was formed to try and persuade the beeb to stop Choice logos. The beeb apparently said that if it could be shown they were distracting it would do something. The group took screenshots of films with logos blocking actors faces etc. but the beeb suddenly went quiet and sweet FA happened. Doomed.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,815
    Yes I watch 24 and got involved I had to turn over to Choice and hated the New. Also no 24 on Choice next week last episode.:(
    Have you seen the Coming up logo on terrestrial TV only one minute before a gob S***e tells you again over the credits.

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Too true Garrett. It's no wonder the yanks go on about the importance of closure in their tv society where it's denied, but the UK is definitely heading the same way. To take 24 as an example; you watch it, it finishes and just as you start to digest and go over it...bang a bloody ad for another prog'. And it's that camp furker squeeling on. Destoyed.

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Too true Garrett,I noticed this a good few times over the last few days,that dumb logo appears and then the idiot tells you whats next :mad: it happened a good few minutes before the credits even appeared on an episode of the Simpsons,and you had no idea what they were saying - talk about the longest cussing at my tv for a long time :mad:

9. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just phoned the BBC to register my displeasure at the onscreen logo. If enough people complain they might take notice, after all, we pay their wages! Certainly felt better after a little moan. The phone number for programming is 08700 100 222.

V-Max

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I'm really glad I've been taping "24" when it's been airing on BBC2. "24" needs to be seen without all this logo and DOG stuff, because of its use of split-screen and multiple fragmented sequences that make the show so great.

For those of you who are really desperate, BBC Choice is screening the entire series over one week, beginning Monday 12th August @ 21:00 hours.

Shame it's not likely to be DOG free!

Pooch

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to speak for the owner, but this site is there for anybody who hates onscreen garbage. The movement appears to be losing steam, so if you're planning on complaining, you might want to log it through the site.

http://www.logofreetv.org.uk/

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto. I make sure I don't miss an episode of Six Feet Under on Channel 4, because they show it clean of onscreen logos. I haven't checked out E4's coverage, but I'm pretty sure what to expect.

13. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I believe if enough people phoned, and explained their annoyance at logomania we might see a reduction in the use of them. Or there again I might just wait for the DVD. Unless of course the use of logos is to make us buy the DVDs?
    V-Max

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,815
    I though the majority of us on the site sighed a partition earlier in the year through this site, also What TV and Video pointed to it. It had over 2000 the last I saw of it. Anybody know what happened?