1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC channels on SKY?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Nic Rhodes, May 3, 2003.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have a sat dish on my house from a previous owner.

I am keen to get freeview but there are no signals in my area but I seem to remember the BBC doing some deal with SKY to put these channels on the 'Sky' system. Phone the BBC and they send you are card or something.

All I need is a 'box'. The shops I asked only sold boxes with Sky contracts which I don't want. Do people sell them separately and if so am I paying a huge premium for the box? If this is possible can I subscribe (£10) just to the Sky + box and sell on my Beloved TIVO? Will it work with no Sky mega pricey contract to bankrupt me?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Beekeeper, don't got the the shops, got to the web. You should be able to pick up a digital satellite box reasonably cheaply (£100 ish) on the web, and even cheaper on eBay.

All you need to do is get digibox, plug it into dish, plug into television, get up "phone numbers" screen (or search web) for "Free To Air" freephone number, call number, receive card within three working days, plug card in digibox, call "Free To Air" again to get activated, ten minutes later BBC etc through digital satellite in lovely anamophic widescreen etc.

Easy really.

StooMonster

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If the dish is a throw back to analogue days then it may well need a digital compatible LNB and or a better screened downcable. You can get upto 4 free veiw cards per houshold.

I'm sure I've read that the BBC is being unecrypted after 1.6.2003 because they are leaving Sky. What this means is that they are moving transmissions to a different Satelite that is in the same place as Sky so can be picked up off of the same dish and digibox but without the need for a card.(Someone correct me if this isn't quite right).