BBC begin user testing of UHD HDR iPlayer content on Panasonic TVs

aido

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Some good news for Panasonic 2016 range TV owners - it sounds like the BBC are testing iPlayer UHD with HDR first on the 2016 Panasonic range (not sure if that means you'll have a new firmware inbound or whether the BBC have just updated their end):

BBC tests 4K Planet Earth II in HDR on iPlayer - BBC News

It's a Planet Earth II 4 minute clip but suggests you're all good for HLG when it arrives.

_92873315_96c6608c-5f50-4bf3-9e72-74e7da46c0c3.jpg

It doesn't mention specifics or how you access it but from the looks of the screenshot in the article it will pop up as soon as you launch iPlayer on a currently supported Panasonic TV.

You can currently pre-order Planet Earth II on UHD Blu-ray in the USA but not within the UK which is a shame.

..:: Edit ::..
Turns out it was just SDR content with the HDR HLG content to come in the future as Panasonic don't support HLG HDR yet!

Last edited:
Any reason they're using hlg rather than hdr10, i thought hlg was for broadcast hdr rather than streaming?
As for the lack of a uhd bluray in the uk, it's not a shame it's a bloody disgrace! Let's not forget it's us the licence payers that funds these programmes so the least the bbc could do is give us the option to buy the uhd bluray here in the UK

I guess they're pushing HLG as it's their own format.

I agree about the UHD Blu-ray but one suggestion I read was that it's easier to launch it over in the USA as they have a deal with Warner Home Video to distribute in North America so they can just give them the content and let them run with it in a larger market.

They're probably also thinking there's more money to be made from double dipping

So latest panasonic screens. Does that mean the DX902 is getting a HLG firmware update this month?

This is confirmed working on the Panasonic CZ952 OLED so far by @cmoc, hopefully we'll get more reports soon

No idea - one for @cmoc but the fact it is offered in the first place would suggest so.

I've just tried the HLG teststream channel on 19.2e but it's still just playing the LG demo loop - I was wondering if maybe they'd also have the Planet Earth test on there but no joy.

That does raise a good point though - @cmoc or other CZ952 owners - if you have a motorised satellite setup have you tried the HLG test channel to see if that engages HDR at all please?

The BBC iPlayer build version on the LG E6 has gone from the 1st December at 5am today to a build date of 9:55am today but still no sign of the test although saying that current firmware doesn't decode HLG on the test channel so we probably need a firmware update to enable it (and it's a bigger thing than the HDR Game mode option coming soon) as HLG support affects future decoding potential although outbox tuners such as the Mutant HD51 may translate HLG into HDR10 the TV can understand.

The guys in the Panasonic CX802 thread are starting to see this appear now with positive feedback so it's definitely rolling out

The article has an error with regards to CX902 TV's from Panasonic; there wasn't a (UK) CX902 model or model range in 2015. I suspect the OP meant the CX802.

This is exciting news though!

Paul

Playing on my Cz952 and looks superb, UHD HLG...high dynamic range for television..
Depth and clarity in the image was superb

Last edited:
I have the CR852 65" with 3.228 firmware I tried a few times this morning after seeing this article and was not picking up the 4k demo on the iplayer splash page but eventually it did appear on the launch page.

it asks do you want to see the 4k demo, click yes it takes you to iplayer settings page where you select the 4k demo and off it starts to play.

If they can do 4k on the current player it may not even need updating to see full 4k programmes.

Bloody stunning image quality, super sharp bright and saturated colours roll on more of this from BBC please.:)

Using HLG does not ramp up your HDR settings like when you watch 4k from amazon or UHD discs but looks just he same.

Playing on my CX700 as well (although I assume just UHD).

I can confirm this is playing in 4k on my TV but is definitely not playing in HDR or (not sure about HLG)

Last edited:
How do you know it's not in HLG GP as there is no specific setting shown for this, the image certainly seems to look HDR like which it says in post #4.

Im sure the pop up message says HLG is HDR for television or something

dx902 65" here. looks stunning for streaming UHD. like others the tv is not engaging HDR mode as far as i can tell (normally when HDR switches on it ramps up contrast and backlight to max which it isn't doing). however as its HLG and not HDR perhaps a panasonic firmware update is needed to 'enable' this?

How do you know it's not in HLG GP as there is no specific setting shown for this, the image certainly seems to look HDR like which it says in post #4.
Sample reason as chump keith

just played it on my dx 750 b......bloody lovely....even better , in fact way better than the uhd blu rays I have.

That's great to hear but I don't understand how that can be the case. Is HLG far superior to HDR10?

Any reason they're using hlg rather than hdr10, i thought hlg was for broadcast hdr rather than streaming?
As for the lack of a uhd bluray in the uk, it's not a shame it's a bloody disgrace! Let's not forget it's us the licence payers that funds these programmes so the least the bbc could do is give us the option to buy the uhd bluray here in the UK

Don't forget UHD discs are region free so no reason we can't import it

Can I ask why it's only for Panasonic TV's ?
Surely if iPlayer can play PE2 in UHD then all people with iPlayer and an UHD TV should be able to view the clip ??

Have you tried it with your LG?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom