1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC article on hi def!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by probedb, Mar 21, 2005.

1. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
  2. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Kind of a mixed message:

"The TV display manufacturers want us to watch HD on screens that are at least 42 inches (106cm). But 50 inches (127cm) is the ideal, according to them."

I think the little side column has abbreviated that statement till it sounds like a constraint not a preference. Of course display manufacturers want us to buy bigger screens, it's all about revenue. They don't actually say that you have to have a screen that big. And they wonder why consumers are confused!?

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    That's what I think is confusing is that the side panel lists it as a requirement not as a nice to have. I emailed about the article so I'll see if they change it or respond.

The other bits in that box we already know as necessary for HD-ready labels so I have no idea why they put the display size in there?

4. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Let's hope somebody in the BBC understands what the requirements are, or we're all going to be buggered when they start broadcasting HD :)

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    i notice some comments on BSkyB

"BSkyB plans to ship its first generation set-top boxes, to receive HDTV broadcasts, in time for Christmas.

Like its Sky+ boxes, they will also be personal video recorders (PVRs).

The company will start broadcasts of HDTV programmes, offering them as "premium channel packages", concentrating, to start with, on sports, big events, and films, in early 2006."

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Wow, now that's fast and very nice, I just got an email and they've removed the 42" comment! :)

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    No mention of HDCP or anything like it .....

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Probably because 0.05% of the population would understand what it was ? BBC journalists are journalists, not AV experts.

9. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Interesting that the BBC state that you'll need a LCD, plasma, or DLP HD-ready display. So, CRT-based HDTV's won't work?

10. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Well in theory you don't need HDCP to watch HDTV, Euro 1080 is HDTV and there is no requirement for HDCP. I would imagine HDCP handshaking will only be required on copyright and pay-per-view material, so the BBC broadcasts may not require it?

11. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    er, I think you will find BBC broadcasts quite a bit of copyright material :)
    I think I know what you mean, but remember that as a major programme producer BBC wants to protect its programming from piracy as much as hollywood. And, the BBC broadcasts hollywood films too. Just because something like Star Wars is on BBC in HD doesn't mean it wont be subject to the same requirements for HDCP as would Sky

12. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Point taken loz :thumbsup:

I guess the closest approximation is something like macrovision. That HDCP would be enforced in similar circumstances to where macrovision protection would be used.

Sky have more to lose on this one that the BBC I would think. They get access to films earlier than the likes of the BBC and they protect their material more strictly than the BBC. I've not heard of any freeview boxes stopping you from recording broadcast material, but I'm pretty sure if I tried ripping a box office movie off onto DVD there'd be some copy protection mechanism getting in the way.

In any case, I guess my not so elequently put point was that HDCP is not a requirement for HDTV, but a requirement for the content provider.

13. 00fjackson

00fjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If CRT HDTVs won't display the HDTV they won't be manufactured or sold! But they will because they are still the cheapest and best picture around and will be for some while to come.

14. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    So I wonder why the BBC state that a CRT-based HDTV isn't suitable? Do they really believe that LCD, Plasma and DLP sets are the only option, or is their article, called "Confusion over high-definition TV" designed to create even more confusion!

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    There are no genuinely "HD Ready" CRT TVs available in Britain, so this isn't particularly misleading. (There's a JVC model which can display 1080i but only via component and it doesn't do 720p). Not mentioning projectors of any description is more annoying.

16. 00fjackson

00fjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There may not be any CRT HD-Ready sets availiable in the UK yet but there are only about 4 HD-Ready sets in total. In the US there are many Direct view (CRT) 1080i HDTVs made in particular by sony and toshiba. When HD takes off in UK the same models will be adapted for 50Hz display and sold here.

17. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well, when/if they are, it might be worth mentioning them. The point of the BBC's article is to highlight the fact that most of the so-called HD displays being sold now are not actually "HD Ready", and to inform consumers (albeit wrongly!) as to what sort of display they need to buy now if they want it to be HD-compatible in the future.

18. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Maybe we should get them to put a link to the forums on the article, so they could come here and find out what they really need :)

19. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Nor do I expect many, if any, to appear once HD is up and running. The industry (both manufacturers and retailers) have decided the future is flat and that's all they are investing in.