BBC allows mobile iPlayer downloads

Buckster

brilliant update - and FINALLY :) - thanks BBC

I do find it odd a lot of news places are reporting the downloads as DRM free...

well they're free - but not DRM free- as they expire after 30 days

jwalsh82

Yeah great for me. Get a few things downloading whilst in the shower and then I can watch them whilst I commute.

Excellent addition to the app.

thedrewser

Novice Member
Can I ask, is anyone else experiencing really long download times? Last night it took me an hour to download a 638mb programme. That's 10mb a minute. I don't think my broadband is that slow.

bransoj

Can I ask, is anyone else experiencing really long download times? Last night it took me an hour to download a 638mb programme. That's 10mb a minute. I don't think my broadband is that slow.
First time i tried it on my iPad i just tried downloading the F1 highlights from a recent GP. As it was an iPad 3 i tried the HD stuff first and that was going to take hours, the estimate just said more than three hours. Tried the SD stuff and that wasnt much better. Also i would have had to leave the ipad open and running the BBC app for the download to work!

jwalsh82

Seemed to work fine for me.

Downloaded the Hillsborough Documentary and F1 programme and it all downloaded in HD within about 10 minutes, over wifi of course.

bransoj

Seemed to work fine for me.

Downloaded the Hillsborough Documentary and F1 programme and it all downloaded in HD within about 10 minutes, over wifi of course.
Mine was over wifi as well and normally a decent connection. This was just after the app was updated however so might need to give it another go.

thedrewser

Novice Member
I've found out (through another forum and my own experience) that you don't actually need to keep iPlayer open to download. I was able to use other apps and put the ipad to sleep and it kept downloading.