• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

BB Playbook or Kindle?

joey joe joe

Standard Member
Hi,
I like to travel a lot but I am also studying with the Open Uni. As most of the study books weigh over 1kg, I was thinking of some sort of e reader or tablet that I can use when on the move. I have a BB phone but probably only use about 10% of its functions. I am not interested in playing games or any fancy gadgets but what I do want is something I can download my study books onto (as they available in pdf form), and read them off the screen. I occasionally have to use the net and my BB phone collects email so not really concerned about that but the ability to edit or make notes would be an advantage. Other useful things would be a decent calculator and as I like to listen to music.......something with a good bit of volume when listening through headphones.
Both the kindle and BB playbook are currently around £130 so a bit of advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sonic67

Banned
Kindle as in the tablet or the e-reader?

anika hanson

Established Member
For text books you really need and LCD display rather than an e-ink display especially if they have diagrams. I know that the blackberry playbooks has a limited number of apps available, not sure if you can get the kindle reading app, or maybe the nook or kobo app on this device. If you get the kindle fire you would at least have access to the kindle book store.

joey joe joe

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for your reply. I purchased a blackberry playbook today. Like I said, I wanted mostly for text books and the playbook already as adobe pdf app so it was easy.......plus., like you said, the diagrams ect were much clearer. I didn't realise they also came with Microsoft office in 'documents to go' so I can even type up my notes on the go. I believe there is an app for kobo but not that bothered at the moment. So far, all good for the playbook, does everything I want and more plus awesome sound so can copy all my music over to :). The kindle e readers were good but it was a bit long winded to get study books converted and also I am used to adobe so well within my comfort zone. I know other systems have more apps but I was reading somewhere that BB as only 20, 000 compared to over 100, 000 for android and iplayer etc. Seeing as I have never used any app for my BB curve, I cant see me needing many for the playbook. So far, so good and very happy.
Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom