Bayonetta (UK Release: 8 Jan 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Check out the trailer below. It's all over a bit quick and I'm not sure I can make out most of it, but it does look flashy. Plus those boots must be the most outrageous a videogame character has ever worn.

Really looking forward to it as it's made by PlatinumGames (previously Clover!)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34062.html

Ico.

New trailer

Looks like it's turning into... Bayonetta May Cry.:rolleyes:

Captain Speedy

Looks like it's turning into... Bayonetta May Cry.:rolleyes:
Japanese game where the main character uses her hair as a weapon and guns in her shoes were you expecting anything less!

AgentCool

I notice there hasn't been much interest in Bayonetta lately but, somewhat unexpectedly, it received 10/10 in the latest issue of Edge - only the 11th game since 1993 to do so.

Looks like it could well be worth a look!

Rob B

You can get a full English demo over on the Jap MP. It's actually quite decent, if a bit hectic. The executions are pretty sweet.

Dunno if I'll buy it though, it's not really my kind of game. It does have similarites to DMC - I grew tired of those games which is why I probably won't bother with this.

Billy Goodgun

As well as Edge, I believe J-mag Famitsu also gave it a notoriously difficult-to-earn maximum score (40/40).

I played the demo at the Eurogamer Expo, and really liked it - Bayonetta has many similarities to DMC, it's true, but it also feels like it's different enough in its own right. Even from what little I played, the over-the-top special moves and sheer variety of them made this seem like a game for the true hardcore devotees of the combo-heavy genre.

For that reason alone, I'm not sure I'll pick it up, but anyone with even a passing interest in this should check it out for themselves - the most important thing that I noticed is that the game is actually fun.

RobinTripp

Novice Member
You can get a full English demo over on the Jap MP. It's actually quite decent, if a bit hectic. The executions are pretty sweet.

Dunno if I'll buy it though, it's not really my kind of game. It does have similarites to DMC - I grew tired of those games which is why I probably won't bother with this.
Might have to check this out later. Is it clearly shown on the marketplace?

Ico.

Might have to check this out later. Is it clearly shown on the marketplace?
SEGA has announced that the European PS3 and Xbox 360 demos of Bayonetta are due out next Tuesday, 3rd December.

"You'll have to wait and see," a SEGA spokesperson told Eurogamer when quizzed on the sampler's content and whether it's the same as the Japanese equivalent, which Digital Foundry put through its paces recently.
Link

Edge gave this a glowing review so it's suddenly peaked my interest.:smashin:

Dazzyman

Novice Member
I got it on delivered on Saturday and not played anything since (it kept me off L4D2 and starting AC2).

Clocked up around 9 and half hours (on level XI). It took abit of getting used to. Not the combat as thats fantastic but its very camp and odd at first with the story and then it just clicked and I find it best game Ive played all year and Ive played Demon Souls and Uncharted 2! (reminded me a lot of godhand which was same thought it was odd at first then fantastic).

I can see me spending endless hours on this. Unfortunetly yet again its region protected (I have a JPN 360 as well as a PAL one for me shmups like Radien IV and RF series) so PAL land has to wait till Jan 8th on 360 (PS3 as usual region free but its a port so suffers slowdown and blurring and poorer loading times but its not as bad as peeps make out). Only downside on 360 (same on PS3) is it tears badly but I guess thats the counter for the exsquisite frame rate.

Id say its the best 3d beatemup Ive ever played (and Im a big fan of em from NG etc.. onwards). :eek::thumbsup:

Dazzyman

Novice Member
Just finished this after about 13hours (says 13h45mins but I left it on pause for awhile today).

The game just kept going on and on when I thought it was near the end. What a cracking game from start to finish. Very Japanese and barmy (still dont understand most of what happened!) but I loved every minute of it. They just dont make em like the JPN do and it left a big grin at the end.

My GOTY without no doubt. Its revolutionised 3d fighters for me. If I didnt have a stack of games Id be going straight back to it. That and its worn me out as Ive got flu and I need something less hectic like AC2 to play for a few days!

Mattk84

Banned
not my sort of game usually but after reading all the glowing reviews i will defo give the demo a blast.

luKasledge

not my sort of game usually but after reading all the glowing reviews i will defo give the demo a blast.
Same here, it looks very similar to Devil May Cry and I'm not a real fan of those games but it's getting such good reviews I may change my mind after playing the demo.

mudstuff

Piqued my interest too due to the EDGE and Famitsu reviews. I picked up the last DMC cheap but didn't really get into it and sold it on almost instantly as I had lots of other titles to play through (still do). I'll at least check out the demo of this though or rent it.

Eurogamer import review here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bayonetta-import-review

Last edited:

Dazzyman

Novice Member
Im not a huge fan of DMC tbh. I like 1 and 3 but cant get into 4 and didnt like 2. I actually tried to go back to DMC4 last night after this and it felt lifeless and very VERY clunky compared to Bayonetta.

This reminds me alot of Godhand meets DMC meets Viewtifull Joe. Be warned though I can see it being a very marmite game because the story is utterly bonkers.

Theirs a few reviews and vids kicking about what are the PS3 port. That got outsourced and its suffers slowdown compared to 360. ITs not as bad as some sites make out but it is enough to knock it from a 10/10 on 360 to a 9/10 on PS3 (as PS3 also sufferes some loading issues). Its reason I bought it for JPN 360. Cant see anyone being bothered with either system as its a cracker.

mudstuff

Had a quick go on the demo off JP marketplace last night and really enjoyed it. Much better than DMC, there's skill involved but it feels more arcadey and pick up and play. Visuals were also superb and much better than DMC. Ironically the gameplay looked better than the cinematics but maybe they were compressed for the demo. Seems strange not to use the game engine when it looks this good. Looks like a solid rental, maybe a purchase if found cheap.

JuanRCP

Novice Member
This game doesn't look like something i'd usually buy, but i've been expanding my gaming lately, and i'm feeling very drawn to this!
I'm going to get the demo and give it a whirl when it's on the market place....

Just out of interest, how are you guys getting onto the JPN market place?

Codehead

Distinguished Member
This game doesn't look like something i'd usually buy, but i've been expanding my gaming lately, and i'm feeling very drawn to this!
I'm going to get the demo and give it a whirl when it's on the market place....

Just out of interest, how are you guys getting onto the JPN market place?
It's on the UK marketplace now.

Ico.

I really like the demo... infact playing this demo has encouraged me to dig Devil may Cry 4 out again...

Had enough of FPS's and my usual games. Even MW2 started to bore me... time for some hack "n" slash.

Bring it on!:smashin:

MANGABOY

Novice Member
Just had a quick go at the demo. Too much like DMC for my liking, just pointless button mashing, no skill, any moron can look cool playing it. The stupid music is annoying too. Didn't help that I played it right after the Dante's Inferno demo on the PS3, that seems to have a lot more about it, even tho it is again a shameless rip off of GOW this time. More enjoyable than Bayonetta tho

luKasledge

I find myself agreeing with Matt and Mangaboy after playing the demo, I really don't understand how so many Japanese gamers find this type of game so appealing, it's holding them back I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug