Bayonetta 2 AVForums Wii U Review

Manny Brown

Established Member
Reaction score
We take a look at Platinum Games' Nintendo-published sequel to one of the greatest action games of all time.

Thanks, really hoping this is under the tree next month! Got to admit, I just don't get how the Wii U isn't selling... It's so cheap in comparison to the competition and (as you alluded) it has a seriously good catalog now - and that's only going to strengthen through 2015.

crabby

Indeed. The Wii U is swiftly heading the way of the Dreamcast for me. Brilliant games, short life, nobody cares!

Indeed. The Wii U is swiftly heading the way of the Dreamcast for me. Brilliant games, short life, nobody cares!

It would be sad if it went that way.

Having said that though... Nintendo is in a very different position than Sega was... It's not like they'll just upsticks... And I do get the sense that the consoles perception is really starting to shift.

crabby

Im not quite as sure Manny. I think it will toddle on like the N64 & Gamecube, getting adrenalin shots every now & then... The Dreamcast was a complete undeserved disaster... Sony PS2 esp & XBOX ...No chance.:)

Dreamcast was awesome but never stood a chance against the two heavyweights. Wii U reminds me a little of that machine. So much potential but hamstrung by Nintendo's earlier failures to capitalise on their huge fan-base from the SNES days. I kind of see Crabby's point though. Gaming has almost gone full circle and back to basics with the advent of the iPad and powerful handhelds. It's become more casual with the more successful games being of the old skool type. Yes you still get the blockbusters like Destiny and Titanfall etc but, the most popular games at the moment tend to be the quick fix type of games with inferior graphics but crucially, great gameplay. If that trend continues, it'll suit Nintendo's ethos perfectly.

haven't got on to bayonetta 2 yet but loving the first one on the wii u. I know it's often echoed in the wii u forum that it's a great machine that has a lot of bad press, and I can understand why nobody wants one when every article and review (this one included) always has to bring up woeful sales figures and the doomed console line. No idea how nintendo can stop the press saying it but it can't be helping push sales when the only consistent thing said is the thing is doomed. Hopefully games like this will turn their fortunes though, it's already seen sales pick up this year.

Other than the doom and gloom bit it's a good review, really looking forward to getting on to it soon

Dreamcast was awesome but never stood a chance against the two heavyweights. Wii U reminds me a little of that machine. So much potential but hamstrung by Nintendo's earlier failures to capitalise on their huge fan-base from the SNES days. I kind of see Crabby's point though. Gaming has almost gone full circle and back to basics with the advent of the iPad and powerful handhelds. It's become more casual with the more successful games being of the old skool type. Yes you still get the blockbusters like Destiny and Titanfall etc but, the most popular games at the moment tend to be the quick fix type of games with inferior graphics but crucially, great gameplay. If that trend continues, it'll suit Nintendo's ethos perfectly.
I think the problem with Nintendo is they are the kings of local co-op games in an online world. You really can't beat the local co-op of a good Mario game or Nintendo Land or SSB... but local co-op on the majority applies to teens and younger while nearly everyone else plays co-op online.

If SM3DW were on PS4 or XB1, I can GUARANTEE it would have seen millions and millions of copies sold because the online co-op would be epic. Same for Hyrule Warriors and other games. Nintendo are so far behind in their online structure that I think that's the major setback they have right now.

If they can get it on par with PSN then I believe their sales would be through the roof. Well, as long as they open up the design structure of the next machine to be more PC like and have the 3rd party games like Destiny on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo left the home console market (not handhelds) and just developed for the other machines like Sega did. Pride might not allow them to do that but, as you say, if Nintendos games were developed for PS4 & XB1, they'd make millions.

I can't see them doing that anytime soon, I think their next machine was rumoured to be a hybrid handheld and console, really if they made the 3ds work with the Wii u they could start to achieve that now. I'd love for Sega to have gone making games for Nintendo consoles only, their influence in bayonetta shows how good a game is when they both have done influence with it

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo left the home console market (not handhelds) and just developed for the other machines like Sega did. Pride might not allow them to do that but, as you say, if Nintendos games were developed for PS4 & XB1, they'd make millions.

The one thing about this I'd be concerned about would be a dip in quality of there exclusives due to deadlines from either. Nintendo like to take their sweet time on there ip's and it shows when the final product arrives. No bugs etc.

The one thing about this I'd be concerned about would be a dip in quality of there exclusives due to deadlines from either. Nintendo like to take their sweet time on there ip's and it shows when the final product arrives. No bugs etc.
If they publish though then you can bet they'd still take their sweet time

They must be the only company that doesn't do the day 1 patches...other companies should take a leaf from their book.
Just look at AC:U, filled to the brim with bugs..seems it appears acceptable now for games to be shipped unfinished/untested.

Yeah some shoddy releases recently. Evil within, lords of the fallen, drive club and now AC: Unity. Yes the Wii U has sold poorly and yes it's taken it's sweet time to build a decent library but at least you know your getting an enjoyable bug free game.

There is the chance that the Wii U will be around longer than the usual 5 year rotation of consoles, maybe just to spite other people / companies !! hopefully people will realise the support they are giving the 3DS which is getting new games even though the New 3DS has been announced and released in places.

I do appreciate the fact that the reviews, although having a bit of doom and gloom, have started describing the Wii U as a must own machine.

They just keep on making great games, i LOVE playing Bayonetta 2 at a friends house :)
I bet your friend doesn't love it when you come round to play (Bayonetta being a 1 player game 'n all):laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom