• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Battlestar Galactica - where to start?

ChrisWV10

Missed this on TV so decided to cough up for it on DVD, however I'm not sure where to start! :suicide:

Apart from the obvious season1, I've also seen BSG: TheMiniseries and BSG:Razor available. Where do these fit in with the season1-4 boxsets? Or are they included in the TV seasons and just start with season1?

Cheers

C.

StooMonster

The story follows this flow, and is in this order:

1. The mini-series
2. Season 1
3. Season 2
4. Season 3
5. Razor
6. Season 4

So, to answer your question ... start with the mini-series. You are in for a treat!

StooMonster

The mini series is great, and only about £5

ChrisWV10

Stumped up my fiver for the miniseries and I'm hooked! Even watched the bonus 'background' feature which I rarely do. Now waiting for series 1 to pop throught the letter box. Ordered the HDDVD version but I haven't found seasons 2 or 3 in HD. I'm guessing they aren't available which is a shame. Maybe they'll be released in blu?

badbob

Banned
BSG is pretty slow to watch. Also what I find stupid is they have FTL, spaceships but no medical knowledge when it comes to own people. A simple bullet wound involves cutting off the leg. :rolleyes: And yet they created the Cylons which are complex organic/cyborg beings.:confused:

vader100

They have what they managed to run with and what they have scavanged on the way so some medical supplies would be thin on the ground I imagine. Also any wound that breaks the bone is pretty severe and infection would set in as it was left untreated for nearly a day.

badbob

Banned
They have what they managed to run with and what they have scavanged on the way so some medical supplies would be thin on the ground I imagine. Also any wound that breaks the bone is pretty severe and infection would set in as it was left untreated for nearly a day.

Fair enough with "in the field" injuries but even on the other ships doctors should be able to rig up something. It seems like 19th century medicine by comparison. They can't even cure cancer.

Little bit unbelievable (I know it's sci fi) it doesn't make sense that technology is one sided, unless it's like say Kligons where you should always die in battle...therefore little point in advanced medicine (and they're robust creatures so probably immume to disease)

So what? I can buy a 50in Plasma, but I would have no idea how to fix it if I was launched into space.

gavan

BSG is pretty slow to watch. Also what I find stupid is they have FTL, spaceships but no medical knowledge when it comes to own people. A simple bullet wound involves cutting off the leg. :rolleyes: And yet they created the Cylons which are complex organic/cyborg beings.:confused:

Tech-wise they seem to be more or less where we are - except that they have commonplace space travel and FTL.

I'd guess a lot of it ties in with their origins:

(spoilers in invisi-text)

It's hinted at the end of S1 that they started off as a 'slave race' just like the Cylons and rebelled against their creators. Chances are that they got the FTL tech/space travel that way but lost a lot of the other tech over time or else didn't manage to take much else with them when they fled/left Kobol to start the colonies.

Maybe this will all be clarified as they tie the series up in the next 13 or 14 episodes?

badbob

Banned
So what? I can buy a 50in Plasma, but I would have no idea how to fix it if I was launched into space.

You don't, but someone else would (even though population has been reduced from billions to 40,000. They still have information, from people and books.

A doctor still has knowledge about advanced medical procedures even though most has been destroyed. They have engineers which can rebuild equipment. Otherwise you're saying that a doctor from the present time have exactly the same mortality rate as a doctor from two hundred years ago.

Also the period during the nuclear detonations and somehow a short while later starbuck and crew walking around cities that showed no damage. Should all be rubble.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
A wound that breaks the bone is very bad, and if untreated you could lose the leg, but still 15hours isn't that long.

Surely they could rig up some sort of cylon leg to replace it.

gavan

You don't, but someone else would (even though population has been reduced from billions to 40,000. They still have information, from people and books.

A doctor still has knowledge about advanced medical procedures even though most has been destroyed. They have engineers which can rebuild equipment. Otherwise you're saying that a doctor from the present time have exactly the same mortality rate as a doctor from two hundred years ago.

The point is that they never had access to more advanced technology, even before the Cylon attacks.

There were flashbacks to Roslyn on Caprica just before the attack when she was first diagnosed and it didn't look as if their tech level was much higher than ours.

The Colonials had way more advanced space travel but for everything else, technologically they were not far ahead of us.

Also the period during the nuclear detonations and somehow a short while later starbuck and crew walking around cities that showed no damage. Should all be rubble.

Wasn't it explained that the Cylons deliberately left at least Caprica City intact for colonisation purposes? I'm sure there was a line to that effect from an episode in Season 1. They had cleared the bodies and were decontaminating the place.

badbob

Banned
The Colonials had way more advanced space travel but for everything else, technologically they were not far ahead of us.

Sorry I just find that unbelievable- that a race that created cylons can't do things like regrowing body parts or organs- unless they have moral code not to treat injured people (ie seen as weakness) Or perhaps if the FTL systems were from another species and basically given a jump start (ie if we suddenly get FTL engines)

Sorry I just find that unbelievable- that a race that created cylons can't do things like regrowing body parts or organs- unless they have moral code not to treat injured people (ie seen as weakness) Or perhaps if the FTL systems were from another species and basically given a jump start (ie if we suddenly get FTL engines)

They created the robot Cylons, but were they biological? Cylons created the biological Cylons.

badbob

Banned
yeah good point, I'm not sure if the cylons from the original series had any cyborg parts, or just purely robots. I was thinking about the raiders from the new series (organic) So it makes more sense. That still doesn't explain FTL systems and lacking medical knowledge.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Jsut started watching my first ever BSG.

Got the HD DVD Series 1 boxset and i'm half way through (1.5 hours) the first episode (mini series).

So far, excellent stuff:thumbsup:

Jsut started watching my first ever BSG.

Got the HD DVD Series 1 boxset and i'm half way through (1.5 hours) the first episode (mini series).

So far, excellent stuff:thumbsup:

I don't think there is a sci-fi fan in the world that wouldn't put it to the top of their list.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I don't think there is a sci-fi fan in the world that wouldn't put it to the top of their list.

Min series (3hrs) complete.

1.30am but i've just got to watch another episode:rotfl:

Min series (3hrs) complete.

1.30am but i've just got to watch another episode:rotfl:

And it gets better!!! :clap: and then it gets better again!!! :eek: and just when you think it couldn't get better................................................ :thumbsup:

JonRushton

I just wrote a big rant about the whole "shoudn't have FTL" argument, but decided to delete it, and just say that, BSG is awesome, and the last episode made me angry, not because of the show, but because i have to wait a week to find out what happens next!!:suicide:

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
And it gets better!!! :clap: and then it gets better again!!! :eek: and just when you think it couldn't get better................................................ :thumbsup:

And then it became some stupid religious crusade. Hopefully the final part of season 4 will go back to the formula that made the first 2 series so good.

And then it became some stupid religious crusade. Hopefully the final part of season 4 will go back to the formula that made the first 2 series so good.

The religious sections are not all that long, I am not put off the show by them, and there aren't enough episodes of the show left to continue with them anyway. The series has to tie up the loose ends now.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
OK That's season one polished off in 24 hours:D

Cracking stuff:smashin:

Now to find Season 2 at a hideously low price..

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
OK That's season one polished off in 24 hours:D

Cracking stuff:smashin:

Now to find Season 2 at a hideously low price..

I am not sure which is better, but I think that series two is marginally the best, and was a great watch. I envy you while I am stuck watching series 4:(

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom