Battlestar Galactica (R2) LTD Box Set

Lex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Recieved my Region Two Battlestar Galactica box set this morning and have to say that I am a little disappointed with the 'special packaging'. It is basically just a cardboard box - I had hoped it might be a little more sophisticated, and at least be made of plastic. Are all regions packaging the same?

The quality of the pilot episode is not as great as I had hoped either, but I suppose it is an old show...

Glad I got it cheap anyway! :clap:

I was going to buy this but heard the R4 set missed out on the commentary track and a number of deleted scenes that are on the R1 set. As the R4 is dual coded for R2, I guessed the UK R2 set would also miss out on these extras.

Can you confirm the commentary track is missing on the pilot episode?

May have been converted from NTSC...

I can indeed confirm that the region two has no commentary track.

This is funny - Amazon are doing an offer where you get a discount if you buy BOTH the Limited version and the standard version! Yeah cas we really want both! :rolleyes: :suicide:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I had the Region 1 release a few months back and it is nothing special, the red eye was never moving, it is one of those things that as you move it seems to move, didnt think that much of it and it is just made out of cardboard with foam inside holding the dvd set.

What I want to know about the R2 set is, are any of the 7 discs double sided as it is a 7 disc set where as the R1 was a 6 disc set and 4 of them were double sided.

Originally posted by Indiana Jones
What I want to know about the R2 set is, are any of the 7 discs double sided as it is a 7 disc set where as the R1 was a 6 disc set and 4 of them were double sided.

How do you tell?

Originally posted by Lex
How do you tell?

If each of the 7 discs has artwork/logo's printed on one side and the other side is plain silver, then they are single sided. If any of the discs are plain silver on both sides, they're probably double sided.

BTW, if anyone's interested, I was just browsing through DigiGuide for tomorrows TV and noticed Dirk Benedict is on the Terry & Gaby show 11.00am Ch 5 tomorrow.

Okay, cheers.

They are all picture discs so I guess they are all single sided...

Well at least that is one positive thing for the R2 set, but did the collectors edition come with the booklet?

I watched the first three episodes on a region 2 version and could see the square 'mask' round some of the space ship special effects! Has anyone else noticed this or is my telly to bright :)

I cant believe how much it is selling for in the shops, just had my sister look in HMV and they want £59.99 for the Special Edition Boxset and £49.99 for the Standard Boxset, and they wonder why people buy it from the internet, HMV Online want £37.99 for the Standard Boxset and £44.99 for the Special Edition

It's £37.99 in MVC, I was tempted, but i didn't like the movie that much and I doubt it'll be as good as the vague memories I have of it! Worth buying?

Originally posted by miniroll171
I watched the first three episodes on a region 2 version and could see the square 'mask' round some of the space ship special effects! Has anyone else noticed this or is my telly to bright :)

This is very common with low budget/old space films, it can look worse if the brightness is too high.

I got the spec limited edition from HMV for £34.99 because I pre-ordered months ago...

The Limited packaging version comes with everything the standard version does - basically it is just the standard version placed inside a Cylon's head.

Yes I saw the square masks around the ships, but turned my brightness down and they disappeared! :rolleyes: :D :clap:

Doesnt the Limited Edition Set contain the booklet which gives info on all the episodes like the R1 set had?

Also, the new Battlestar Galactica is marked up as a mini-series but it isnt, its more of a Pilot episode, never heard of a 3 hour mini-series.

Originally posted by Indiana Jones
Doesnt the Limited Edition Set contain the booklet which gives info on all the episodes like the R1 set had?

Yes there is a booklet (if you can call it that) with the title and credits of each episode listed. There is also a pamphlet advertising the new series, another pamphlet advertising the BS game, and a catalogue of other TV Series' available on DVD... I should imagine that all of that is in the standard version though as it was inside the box with the DVDs and not part of the special packaging (if you know what I mean).

ALso noticed that the whole thing is marked Region 2/4 so I guess it is exactly the same as the Australien version...

Guess the booklet I am on about is the collectors book which the Region 1 boxset had, its about the same size as a sticker album you see in the newsagents, not just a small thing, it contains pictures of all the episodes with info and concept design of Vipers and Cyclon Raiders, guess it is something else the R2 set doesnt have.

Definitely no such item in my set - one concern I had when it arrived though was that it was not sealed - can anyone else confirm that there was nothing else in the box?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom