Battlestar Galactica Gets The Green Light

Indiana Jones

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Here is part of the announcment...

SCI FI Channel has greenlit production on the Battlestar Galactica franchise as a new original weekly series. Based on the top-rated December miniseries event of the same name, the one-hour drama is slated to begin production on 13 episodes in Vancouver next month.

All principal cast from the mini will reprise their roles for the series, including Edward James Olmos (Commander Adama), Mary McDonnell (President Laura Roslin), Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) and Tricia Helfer (Number Six), among others.

Ronald D. Moore (Carnivále, Mission: Impossible 2) returns as executive producer as well as writer. The project will be produced exclusively for SCI FI, in association with Sky One. The series will be distributed by USACE, where David Eick, an executive producer of the miniseries, serves as Executive Vice President.

I did enjoy the mini-series, and I am prepared to watch the new TV series with an open mind. However like most new fantasy TV shows, if it doesn't grab me within the first few episodes I'll probably give it a miss. I hope to see more Cylons; possibly one of the original 70s cylons sweeping corridors on a Baseship :D

Model Six "You missed a spot!"
Retired Cylon: "By your Command..."

Has anyone else noticed that Battlestar Galactica Mini-Series has a March 1st release date on Region 2 dvd, well according to play.com it does and it will be £9.99, I wonder if this is the Sci-Fi mini series or the original Pilot episode, tried searching the net and some sites list the original pilot as a mini series, guess only time will tell.

Good time to remind people that the 2 parter is on Sky Movies, tonight and tomorrow nght at 9:00pm.

Dean

Originally posted by Deansimm
Good time to remind people that the 2 parter is on Sky Movies, tonight and tomorrow nght at 9:00pm.

Dean

SO what did you think?

After hearing a few poor reviews I had low expectations, as such I was totally blown away - I thought it was fantastic! It was nothing like the original series, but I think that is a good thing. There was no point in just remaking a 70s show, they had to reinvent it, and I think they did it really well. Maybe the Cylons were a little underplayed, and we didn't see much of the destruction (budget constraints I suppose) but all in all a job well done. Also all the sfx shots were really great.
I was pleasently surprised. Four thumbs up :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

Yes I loved it and liked the way they played homage to the original while at the same time remaking it with much better effects/story.

I was sad to hear last night that they are going to make a series, as I fear if they start knocking out 40min episodes the quality will go down and the characters become buddy buddy. I was hopeing they would make 2/3 Movies a year.

Ho and thanks for the Info on PLAY I ordered my copy after reading this post last night.

i recorded the sky movies battlestar galactic and shall be enjoying both episodes come the weekend :clap:

ad

for those who missed pt1 Sunday Sky Movies 2 = 3 hour all in one go version rather than two parts

Play.com, HMV, MVC and some other websites have the new Battlestar Galactica Mini Series (Pilot Episode) as being released on the 1st March on Region 2 DVD.

I just hope the release date doesnt slip.

i didn't think it was that good, apart from number 6!!!

I wasn't keen on the cylon human form, apart from number 6!!!

and starbuck, a girl, come on.

I did find it amusing that the secretary for education became the president. Imagine if it happened here :eek:

even worse if it was still that nut job Blunkett :suicide:

I liked it, but I really liked number 6 ;)

mmm evil Cylon woman

tricia_helfer_6.jpg
tricia_helfer_8.jpg

tricia_helfer_15.jpg

Originally posted by bobbles

I did find it amusing that the secretary for education became the president. Imagine if it happened here :eek:

You're right to fear the consequences of a secretary for education becoming leader.

Margaret Thatcher was secretary for education in the early 70's :eek: .

I was 11 years when Battlestar Galactica hit these shores the first time around. It was big event as the ABC in Leicester had some seats removed so extra speakers could be put into the theatre. The sound, more importantly, the feel of Galactica going across the screen has stayed with me ever since. The theatre shook. Literally. Galactica looked like a ship. She looked mean, moody and ready to fight.

Skip forward to 2004.

Galactica looks patchetic. She sounds pathetic. The gun 'noise' is feeble and, stay with me people, if this ship has faster than light capability, why can't it have more capable weaponry than a 1941 anti-aircraft battery?

"Oh my God, the Cylons have nukes!". 'Nukes?'. They have space ships that zip across the galaxy and the most deadly weapon they have is 'nukes'!!. Even when these deadly weapons are unleashed upon civilian space craft they survive whereas cities are raized to the ground. It just doesn't add up.

The ship that Boomer was flying. First of all they needed to wear full space suits and helmets. Then the ship gets hit and sustains a hull breech which they have to land and fix. Then they manage to fill the ship with people who miraculously don't need spacesuits and helmets.

Gaius Baltar. Well, it wouldn't be a American if the bad guy wasn't portrayed as being English would it? Oh, and how the hell can he get wiped out by a nuclear blast and still be alive ... unless he is a Cylon too.

Ah, the Cylons themselves. The original metal mashers have been replaced by human counterparts. How cheap is that?! Don't tell me it was done for artistic merit, it was done for two reasons.

a) It's cheaper
b) They can introduce sex into the franchise.

Hellooo!!!! Star Trek/ Seven of Nine !!!! It's been done before to try and hook adolecent boys into watching.

I like the idea of updating it, I even think it's right to change some of the characters from male to female. In an age where the US has women (damn good) fighter pilots, it makes sense to portray them like this in the future. The introduction of sex to sell the story and the technical inconsistencies are my bug-bears. To me, this was a fantastic opportunity wasted on a grand, almost wasteful scale.

The gun 'noise' is feeble and, stay with me people, if this ship has faster than light capability, why can't it have more capable weaponry than a 1941 anti-aircraft battery?

In space you would hear no noise from weapons so doesnt really matter what they sound like and what other weapons could they have apart from gun turrets, after all that is all they had on the original Battlestar Galactica.

"Oh my God, the Cylons have nukes!". 'Nukes?'. They have space ships that zip across the galaxy and the most deadly weapon they have is 'nukes'!!. Even when these deadly weapons are unleashed upon civilian space craft they survive whereas cities are raized to the ground. It just doesn't add up.

In Babylon 5 the most power weapons they have are Nuclear so no problem with that. Nuclear weapons were only launched against civilian ships once and they were all wiped out, the only ship to survive a hit was Galactica and that was only because it had armor and even then was badly damaged.

The ship that Boomer was flying. First of all they needed to wear full space suits and helmets. Then the ship gets hit and sustains a hull breech which they have to land and fix. Then they manage to fill the ship with people who miraculously don't need spacesuits and helmets.

Whenever you are in a spaceship I would have thought you would be wearing a spacesuit but they never did in the original series and they seemed to be able to breath ok so I would image that the cabins could be pressurised to allow others to travel inside.

Gaius Baltar. Well, it wouldn't be a American if the bad guy wasn't portrayed as being English would it? Oh, and how the hell can he get wiped out by a nuclear blast and still be alive ... unless he is a Cylon too.

He wasent wiped out by a nuclear blast, his house was hit by the shockwave from the explosion and it looks like only the windows got blown out so as he was down on the floor he could have walked away from that with some cuts.

Ah, the Cylons themselves. The original metal mashers have been replaced by human counterparts.

They havent been completly replaced, its just that the pilot episode only seemed to focus on them, im sure in the series there will be chances to see the good old robotic cyclons getting their metal behinds kicked.

I think they did a pretty good job on the new Battlestar Galactica, sure I would have loved to see the series that Richard Hatch wanted to make but I have no problem with the Pilot Episode and will happily watch the new series once it is aired later in the year.

I quite like Baltar being English, we do make such excellent villains
muhaha.gif

He keeps reminding me of Dr Bashir from DS9 though.

Glad im not alone in thinking he looked like Bashir :laugh:

Jones, you've been sniffing your namesakes rear end. ;)

Of course there is no sound in 'real' space. This is a Sci-Fi show, with lasers and aliens - it's supposed to have effects that make you believe what's going on. Imagine an X-Wing zooming into the Death Star trench with no noise? Doesn't work does it?

Babylon 5? Nuff said. That's even worse.

Either they need full space suits in Boomer's ship or they don't. They can't have it both ways as it make the show look inept.

A few cuts!! Nuclear blast a couple of miles down the road would leave you with a tad more abrasions than that.

As for the human Cylons, accept the fact that it was a cheap option and one that allowed the use of sex to be introduced. If this wasn't the case, the human Cylon could have been a 6'4 brick laying gorilla from Newcastle. But maybe that doesn't float adolescent boys boats? It was a cynical ploy on behalf of the producers to add sex into the show and it's not needed here, just as it isn't in ST:Enterprise or ST:Voyager.

In the end its science fiction and they can do whatever they want, if they wanted to be accurate then you wouldnt have any sound in space but like you said, that is boring and I agree so they put in some sound effects but since they have already made it inaccurate then why should everything else be accurate? They can do whatever they want whether its having a guy survive the shockwave from a nuclear blast or having a ship full of people able to breath without spacesuits.

In the end its whatever makes a good show and I will wait until I have seen the 13 episodes they are making before I decide whether it was a good or bad idea for Sci-Fi to do Battlestar Galactica.

I agree that there were a few higgles, but I still really enjoyed it - at the end of the day it is a Hollywood tv production, thus my expectations were not hing, but it was definitely a step above most tv sci-fi :smashin:

For fans of Number 6 checkout the photo shoot she did for Maxim last month! :eek: :smashin: :eek: :smashin: :eek: :smashin:

I don't have Sky movies so I downloaded it :)

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the "acting". Even McDonnall was woeful, and I used to rate her. The storyline breathed a breath of fresh air into the franchise, although the dialogue was abysmal at times. I actually cringed sometimes, especially the banter between 'Starbuck' and 'Apollo' really ruined the atmosphere.

Some of the budget restrictions quite worked, especially how they showed the 12 planets from space being summarily nuked, quite clever way to do it. Although at the end of the second part, with that little girl on the biodome type ship, were we supposed to feel empathy for her? I've seen better child actors on the "Milk" adverts from the 80's.

Other than that :smashin: The effects were stunning for a TV production, blew away the 'Dune' mini-series!

I'd have given it an 8/10 if they employed actors, instead of models, although they acted as well as you'd expect from mannequins so you can't complain really. But as it was it'd struggle to reach a 6/10 in my book as it's not an original concept and employs too many cliché main-stays of American TV.

Am looking forward to the tv series never-the-less, it'll be interesting if nothing else!

Ok, finally got round to watching this tonight, and i go along with those who enjoyed it.

Either they need full space suits in Boomer's ship or they don't

It seemed to me that the crew would wear the suits, to give them a chance of survival in an emergency (bigger hull breach maybe ;)
And as the passengers/refugees were sat on the floor, it seems safe to assume that the ship was only designed for a crew of two - so no extra suits.

Dean

Has anyone else Pre-Ordered the DVD from Play.com as I just checked my account and its changed from Pre-Ordered to Processing and hopefully later in the day it will change to Posted :)

How many did you pay for?

Shotgun on buying a cheap copy from you if you only paid for one :laugh: ;)

5 unfortunately and they can't cancel them so I've got to wait for them to arrive and send 4 back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom