Battlefield II: Modern Combat - Discussion Thread

AVRocky

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We've seen and appreciated the other war-based simulators such as Call of Duty and the new Ghost Recon - we've been impressed by their ability to immerse the gamer into the environment, the visuals - the special effects and general gameplay.

But they seem like a Sunday Tea party compared to these gameplay videos from EA's latest adaption of their Battlefield series.

CAUTION: Do not view if you have a dislike for fast paced games.

What really impressed me is how quick and fast, and simple forwarded the game comes across. One of the videos with the black helicopters landing and blazing the below ground assaults (it seemed like there were atleast 4 wars on that street) made me lose a heartbeat. So exciting. I admit perhaps Ghost Recon is the more realistic adaptation, Red Storm never fails there, but I personally prefer this type of warfare.

I might get Ghost Recon when i join an Xbox 360 clan, its really a team based application more than a "jump in" kind.

P.S. If the tanks and attack helicopters had the ability to blow up buildings quicker - it'd be perfect for me :D

i cant wait for it,hopefully it wont lag too much

Something tells me BF2 will be more popular. But i understand why some would favour Ghost Recon, there hasn't been anything like it for some time - and the complexity of the gameplay will no doubt seduce some.

Like i said, it's really a Multiplayer type of game that could be best for clan wars and stuff like that. I might buy it but i need to find a clan first.

But on BF2, chaos..chaos..mad chaos. Those videos truly personify the "Jump In" slogan for the 360. BF2 just looks fun, something you can play for 10mins..in my case...100minutes per go :thumbsup:

I hope the fact that Ghost Recon is the highlight all of a suddent doesn't dismiss this game. It looks good fun.

MrFurious said:
i cant wait for it,hopefully it wont lag too much

Good point - some people on anothe forum have expressed a concern for this aswell

Crisp_Rapper said:
looks like it'd be a riot with a stack of players... utter chaos! bring it on! :thumbsup:

50 Player Xbox Live mode hee hee, im gonna own everyone (including my teammates :rotfl: )

If you can hit them, thanks to the compulsary EA server lag

Starfleets said:
50 Player Xbox Live mode hee hee, im gonna own everyone (including my teammates :rotfl: )
Unfortunately, last I heard it was 24 players on Live and it's a tarted up port of the Xbox version. Missed opportunity as I'm still playing the PC version which is great. Linky

Used to play it quite a bit online when it came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. To me it seems a totally differant type of game than GRAW less tactical and well more a case of running round like a headless chicken of sorts. Ill be playing both and then decide which i favour more. Another aspect is that GRAW will seem to apeal to more clan based fighting with the same grp of ppl on a regular basis and BF2 more a game i can play solo on a PUG server (pick up group).

Munkey Boy said:
Unfortunately, last I heard it was 24 players on Live and it's a tarted up port of the Xbox version. Missed opportunity as I'm still playing the PC version which is great. Linky

Yea, TeamXbox contradicts though saying its 50 players :confused:

24 is acceptable but 50 would really be next gen. Unfortunately, people's broadband connections are not next gen :D

Does anyone think players of this will be able to play with/against those who own the Xbox version?

Munkey Boy said:
No 360 games are compatible with Xbox games, and I can't see how they would ever make it work.

What about PC? If not now, can it work?

Starfleets said:
What about PC? If not now, can it work?
There were rumours that some Vista versions of games could be cross-compatible with 360 games, but I think its still a way off yet. But yes, in theory it is possible with PC.

Just looks like a poor mans version of the excellent PC game. :boring:

Starfleets said:
Your talent in the choosing of words is less admirable CAS. You dont need to Troll :thumbsdow

I thought you would appreciate it mate :D. After all the entire purpose of this thread is to troll.

Not impressed with this one at all. As Cas says it looks better on the pc. I was quiet surprised how bad it did look considering COD 2 was identicle to the pc version. Ghost Recon for me. :)

Starfleets said:
See thats where you and I just fall out. You can call it trolling, you can call it just an excited person waiting for a game and wanting to tell everyone about it, or you can call it a CAS appreciation thread for all i care.

It's what it is and your disillusional perception of me is playing tricks on you to the point where you are embarrasing yourself. Troll? I bet you refer to people who dont agree with you on forums, trolls. Even yet, I didnt think such derogative terms were allowed especially not by a moderator, regardless of his moderating skills. You can just IGNORE me cant you? Does this forum support that feature? You probably wouldnt know..i thought you were going through a divorce with it..surprised you're still here "moderating".

But if you or anyone else seems to dislike me because of my posts/threads, you can just IGNORE me because attempts to provocate using sly gestures like CAS has should not be tolerated in a community. You can give yourself just a warning CAS, you did a naughty thing.

If you think that the purpose of such a thread actually escapes myself and others then that shows how low you actually view our intellegence. I have no problem moderating at all (I guess some of us prefer to help out, rather than just create problems) and whether I choose to help out here is really none of your concern.

Sadly in my position I can't just ignore you (and obviously unlike you I DO know that this function exists) as I have to make sure that you are obeying the rules. Oh and it's obviously escaped your attention but I am not the only one on these forums who see you as the obvious troll that you are - try reading some of the other replies perhaps. You see the fact that 99% of the 360 forum is excited and looking forward to GRAW and use that as a tool to start silly arguements. You can't discuss other games without directly comparing them to GRAW (first you latched onto GoW and now BF2 - both of which are very different titles) just so that you will spark off some come back from others.

How about comparing what you have seen of 360 BF2 to the excellent PC version (which i'm sure as a BIG BF2 fan you have played ;) ). That would make a lot more sense and also a much better thread. :)

Oh and if I was to give myself warning points for my comment then that would mean an outright ban for you, given the amount of trolling you have done :D . Sadly it seems that the Irony in my post past you by.

CAS FAN said:
If you think that the purpose of such a thread actually escapes myself and others then that shows how low you actually view our intellegence. I have no problem moderating at all (I guess some of us prefer to help out, rather than just create problems) and whether I choose to help out here is really none of your concern.

Sadly in my position I can't just ignore you (and obviously unlike you I DO know that this function exists) as I have to make sure that you are obeying the rules. Oh and it's obviously escaped your attention but I am not the only one on these forums who see you as the obvious troll that you are - try reading some of the other replies perhaps. You see the fact that 99% of the 360 forum is excited and looking forward to GRAW and use that as a tool to start silly arguements. You can't discuss other games without directly comparing them to GRAW (first you latched onto GoW and now BF2 - both of which are very different titles) just so that you will spark off some come back from others.

How about comparing what you have seen of 360 BF2 to the excellent PC version (which i'm sure as a BIG BF2 fan you have played ;) ). That would make a lot more sense and also a much better thread. :)

Oh and if I was to give myself warning points for my comment then that would mean an outright ban for you, given the amount of trolling you have done :D . Sadly it seems that the Irony in my post past you by.

Well i obviously see the flawed in your whole argument. Because i said that i prefered BF2 to Ghost Recon, and people dismissed me..that i intentionally created a thread soley for BF2 as a response? And you think thats my way of..whatever..you think? Hmm. Well i can say whole heartedly that i've been waiting for BF2 longer than i've been on these forums, and certainly longer than we met.

Truth is CAS - although you wont accept it - this thread has no alterior motives and I wish i had a way to prove it to you. But sadly you've based your argument on something that cannot be proved or disproved. This thread was solely to show others some video clips of BF2. I also said in the opening post that although Ghost Recon has been taking alot of light recently on the forums, that this game - and i constantly emphasised "imo" - was better and fast paced. I also made an effort to distinguish the two so there'd be no comparisons.

But like you said, i doubted your intelligence. Clearly i've overestimated it because i honestly did not expect such replies in relation to previous threads :thumbsdow It seems like no matter what i say or talk about, you always think its really a troll plot of some sort.

You can call me whatever you like, you are the moderator ofcourse. But you could atleast for the sake of your argument talk some sense and actual embed the occasional fact into your statements rather than glorified attacks on me personally, i'd hate to think you're obsessed with me.

I will post the latest news i find of BF2 on this thread, regardless of what you consider the motive to be even though i have constantly stressed them to be entirely innocent - you will obviously settle for nothing of the sort.

Im going to delete the off topic messages such (other than this) on this thread but keep copies of them for future reference before you turn another thread into a battle ground

CAS FAN said:

Part of my liking of BF2 actually relates to the bad luck i had with it when playing it on PC. When i first downloaded the demo, i loved it, but i needed to upgrade my RAM further to make full use of the visuals. I was never able to spend money on the RAM because other things were more important (such as the power supply that blew), but i was determined to play this game for a good go.

So i went to my mates house and he had it, i played it for a few hours and loved it. The visuals were pretty decent, but nothing blew me away. I struggled with the aircrafts though.

In comparison to the 360 version, the environment is not what i call next gen but atleast they've upgraded the visuals of the vehicles and character models in combat - also tuning the campaign, AI and special effects. But to be honest, the visuals were not the main reason why im interested in it..if you read my early posts you will see what was.

Starfleets, I think you will find that CAS original comment was tongue in cheek, the smileys were a bit of a hint. You seem to of went off on one unneccesarily.

I think everyone who has followed your previous comments in other posts regarding this game probably had a little chuckle when they seen this thread pop up and then the inevitable little dig and comparison drawn to ghost recon within the thread.

syntax error said:
I think everyone who has followed your previous comments in other posts regarding this game probably had a little chuckle when they seen this thread pop up and then the inevitable little dig and comparison drawn to ghost recon within the thread.
Exactly :smashin:

I think he is walking a fine line now with the digs at the mod's but he if wants to continue to dig his own hole deeper and deeper im more than glad to stand and watch on.

This thread would have been perfectly acceptable without provocation your clearly trying to get via the GRAW comments. You did it a few times with GoW, basically saying you like it better because it looks prettier :rolleyes: :suicide: Thats not a valid arguement.

Your comments on this game seem to me like you have played both this and GRAW, well have you ? Ive played BF1942 its mods, BF:V, BF2 and i can tell you it (the series) isnt that fast paced as you'd think, especially when playing properly as a tight uniform. Of course this could be different in the Bf2:Mc but i highly doubt they would change a winning formula. Ive also played GR1, GR2 and GR2:SS and they can be quite action oriented or slow paced dependant on who is playing the game. I think your basing your opinions of both games from screen shots and low res videos but hell its your decision. Just means its one less game in the XBL world that we will never meet on and i can im pleased at that little outcome :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom