battlefield 3 (simultaneous mouse AND joypad)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by amkhan, Aug 15, 2012.

1. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    right, fired up BF3 for the first time last night and got my arse handed to me very quickly.

I've come from console BF3 and this was painful (literately). The keyboard side was the problem for me, so I was wondering if its possible some how to use the joypad for movement (with thumbstick) and the mouse for looking/aiming?. Seems like that would be the perfect combo for me.

Left hand on joypad would give walk/run, plus two triggers and the dpad, so thats 8 (directions) and 6 buttons with the left hand, and the mouse for the rest. Is this possible?, keyboard was giving me finger cramps :thumbsdow

2. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    How would you be pressing the x,y buttons etc on the right of side of the pad (reload etc)?

Can't see that working well at all.

Just stick at the pad if your happy using that. It will take you a while to adjust to keyboard and mouse.

3. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I got loads of "buttons" available to do stuff on the joypad (its a xbox one), the left side has a thumbstick for movement and also its a button (iirc this is used to crouch on the xbox). In addition to that there is left shoulder and left trigger buttons as well as 4 buttons on the dpad. so thumbstick + 7 buttons (inc 1 thumbstick button when pressed down). do i need more than 7 buttons?. Two buttons on mouse too of course (Actually got 2 extra shoulder buttons on microsoft 7000 series mouse, so 4 buttons there too).

What I'm after is the mouse for aim/looking and the left side of a joystick for everything else.

4. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    Do you have extra buttons on your mousepad you can bind to things like reload, disarm etc? Theres 6 buttons on the right side of the pad so thats what you need to sort out.

You can play pad and keyboard at the same time btw.

5. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Yep the mouse (its a 6000 not 7000) has 4 buttons in total, two "normal" mouse buttons and two extra shoulder buttons which microsoft call rear and front buttons.

6. danz1985

danz1985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +422
    Have you looked at the Logitech G13 or the Belkin or Razer equivalent?

There is a thumb stick for movement on there that you could use plus access to other buttons. Great piece of kit and would recommend one.

However if others say you can use a combo between the pad and mouse and you're happy with that then go for it. :thumbsup:

7. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I've not looked at the G13, just spent everything I had on a updated video card ;)

I really like the joypad on the xbox, and am OK with it on BF3 on 360, but first game on PC and fingers were hurting in 15 mins. I can play for hours on xbox without issue.

The reason for wanting to use a mouse rather than only a joypad is that on PC it seems, joypad vs keyboard+mouse = death every time for joypad user. I'm trying to use the best of both, so quick aim with a mouse, and joypad for movement etc.

8. stument

stument
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,106
    Stick to the keyboard and mouse within a month of playing you'll be use to it also play single player

Join noob servers where the ranks are not above 20 or something and you'll pick up how to play with out super ranked players killing you constantly

Then once more comfortable join normal servers

9. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks all, will seek out some noob servers... now to get head round the mess that is the front end (origin?) to BF3. Wish it was all in game like on xbox, cleaner GUI IMO.

10. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    Stick to the Keyboard and Mouse and just practise. Playing on the controller is painful (I've tried it).

I invested in a decent mouse (Logitech G700) and with that I can:

1. Switch to Weapon 1 (Primary Weapon inc Vehcile)
    2. Switch to Weapon 2 (Secondary Weapon inc Vehcile)
    3. Deploy Weapon 3 (eg/ Med Packs)
    4. Deploy Weapon 4 (eg/ Defibs)
    5. Throw Grenades
    6. Mele
    7. Reload
    8. Prone

I then use the keyboard for WASD; crouching and jumping movements.

If that doesn't work then there is their are devices like the fragfx and aimon (although I've never tried them myself so don't know how well they are or compatible.)

11. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    You wont lose every time to a K/M player. I only use a pad (have no intention of spending ages getting better at K/M) and do ok.

12. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    sweet... might give the pad a bash then, perhaps its just the purists who bash the pads

13. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    You will lose out to good K/M players ( even K/M lose out to them too lol) but keep at it and adjust your sensitivity to suit. Just like on a console you'll have good games and bad games. As long as your enjoying playing and your comfortable with your control method then who cares otherwise :)

14. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Your K/D is not too bad i see too... I suppose its also a massive advantage using helicopters and jets

15. stument

stument
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,106
    Haha you'll loose badly to them though it's a shame you don't try to get better with K/M mate

16. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    I wouldn't worry too much about K/D mate. Good objective players can have a poor one just for simply playing the objective. While doush bags who ignore everything boost their K/D's.

Mine was averaging around 1.1 until I started recording videos though lol.

17. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    Na don't lose badly. Just lose to the faster aim adjustment. I realise that and live with it.

Tbh I wanted to make an effort to get better at it but I can only take so many deaths from looking at pressing the wrong button before I smash it. So I stick with what I know and I'm happy with.

Thinking I need to start another montage soon though.........

18. stument

stument
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,106
    Haha I get what you mean it's funny watching my dad play... Pressing all the wrong keys raging at nading himself

19. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    this was me last night, imagine twister, only with fingers and and a keyboard... I think i may have broken a finger or two... :rotfl:

20. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    To be fair those hot pineapples in BF3 are deceiving, you can't tell if they are going to land at you or in another room half the time. :laugh:

The pads come into their own when flying helis or jets though, I wouldn't want to use anything else.

Don't you use the Onza Chalky? Pressing and holding the stick to sprint is less painful compared to the xbox controller because it uses some kind of special switch iirc.

21. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    Yeah I do mate.

Don't find probs with the 360 controller though so not affected by that.

22. Neorion

Neorion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Im with the op, I have come from BF3 on the 360 and have found it really difficult to switch.

I need to spend some time with my Logi G5 and change the buttons as suggested.

Flying is just wierd but maybe thats the lack of feedback for me? Although I can see helos being a lot easier.

Shows just how good this game really is when I have bought it twice, premium twice just to get onto the bigger maps.

Using Tanks and AA is a lot quicker with a K/M and I am a tank whore.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  23. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    If you're gonna play BF3 on the PC, you need to play it properly. :smashin: That's keyboard & mouse.

Progression - TallPaul_S - Battlelog / Battlefield 3

BF3 was my first proper shooter on the PC after years of console gaming, for the first 30-50 hours my aim horrendous (13% accuracy, 0.8 KD, 300 SPM) and i would always have to be looking down at the keyboard to see what button to press, or putting my fingers on ESDF and wondering why I wasn't moving forward, or trying to go prone and just standing there like a noob :laugh::laugh:

Now though, keyboard is almost 2nd nature, I have a few buttons mapped to my mouse (toggle secondary/primary, toggle gadget 2 (defibs) & throw nade).

It'll be hard at first but just practice and it'll come. Said this many many times before but it's all muscle memory - do something enough times and eventually you'll be able to do it without thinking :smashin:

TBH, even if you were a pc gamer of 5 years, your first game of BF3 on the PC after playing on console you'd get owned, it's a very different game to console. Big, big tip - stay away from 64p servers - I did this and I played so much better, on a 64p server there's so much going on and the gameplay is really fast, whereas on a 32 map server things are much slower and you're not being shot at by 16 different enemies every time you spawn!

Also, not every game supports the game pad, what happens when you get a bit bored of BF3 and want to play another FPS, if it doesn't support the gamepad and you're not used to the keyboard, you're screwed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  24. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Yeah don't be tempted to give in easily. Stick with keyboard and mouse and you'll be doing mid-air headshots in no time.

25. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,834
    Keyboard and mouse is better. I sometimes use a joypad for the game if i get cramp. I always use a pad for jets and helis

26. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Pad for jets but kb & m are awesome for heli's, takes a couple of hours practice on and empty server and you can do some great flying a few ft from the ground in the attack helis.

27. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well seems the best thing to do is stick with it so thats what i'm going to do. Perhaps play on some noob servers to find my feet.

I've also never played the campaign as online+premium was too good on console.. Was planning to skip campaign as I bought premium on PC too but perhaps a quick play with it might not be such a bad thing.

28. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,834
    Will definitely help if you play the single player. I also use it to adjust graphic options

29. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,754
    OP, i echo your frustration and pain as i recently started get back into PC gaming no wi have a new PC after years without, just playing consoles.

I also have and played the 360 version and felt i was a decent standard so it is annoying to get killed loads on the PC version, more often than not for the reasons Tall PAul details above with wrong keys and standing instead of going prone, chucking a med pack not a grenade and generally getting in a mess.

I am persevering with K+M though, but although i'm improving it's still not right, but i have a really bog std mouse with basic buttons. I have ordered a Logitech G700 which has about 13 well placed buttons for binding and i will feel much better with that, and can then just keep fingers on the movement keys on the board, for which i've also ordered a logitech G510 so i have night illumination becasue i tend to play at night, in the dark and trying to find keys then aint funny!!!!

Question though, I liked flying jets on the 360 and felt really natural on the pad and want to use the pad on the PC as i can't get a bind that works for me on jets, however, my 360 pad doesn't do anything when i try to use it with BF3.... It's fine for other things, and i know people use the 360 pad with BF3 so it must be compatible, so what am i missing?

I can't see anywhere in the options to specify the pad or anything, other than the binding menu etc....

If someone can tell me how to get it working i will have it on hand for flying.

30. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,754
    Also, are there actually servers that restrict player level to lower ranks and not let people join if above the max level, or is it just something that will need an admin always on hand to boot people?

Only ask as i've seen servers with noob references but still have about 40 eagle+ players in them. I've not seen a server without really high rank players and would welcome them, so if anyone knows some good ones please advise.

Thanks