• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Battlefield 3 - PC upgrade

charlie0166

Established Member
Hi all. Just pre-ordered Battlefield 3, and in anticipation I though I would have a quick look at my PC spec and see if anything needs upgrading. Here is what I have currently:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
Power Supply: Coolermaster Real Power M850
Processor: Core i5 750 8MB Cache Socket 1156
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler
Graphics Card 1: Radeon HD5870 1GB GDDR5
Memory: 4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C8 Twin3X
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D LE Socket 1156
Hard Disk Drive One: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 32MB Cache SATA 300
Sound Card: Onboard HD 7.1 Audio

Can any of you smart people make any upgrade suggestions? It's displayed on a 22" syncmaster, sound runs through a logitech Z5500 speakers system

Many thanks

slinger

Prominent Member
It's impossible to suggest anything until we have seen a few benchmarks of the game released. I have already penciled in a complete upgrade for when BF3 comes out but until I see any kind of performance details then its a waste of time even thinking about it.

charlie0166

Established Member
you are absolutely right of course. The battlefield 3 comment isn't really the driver for upgrading, just an excuse....

Sega Mega Dave

Distinguished Member
Well the videos showed so far are reportedly running on a single GTX580 so there is a guide for you but obviously i'd wait until we see the specs required.

Everything else at a guess would be fine, i'd expect the processor to be plenty too if overclocked.

charlie0166

Established Member
I don't think we are going to see Bulldozer until well into next year. And then there may be compatibility issues with my board. And it will be very expensive.
So, on that basis no, I don't think I will wait for AMD to start shipping...

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I really hope your specs are up to task, as i am hoping a sandy I5 with 4gb, an SSD and a GTX560 will cope

charlie0166

Established Member
Mike - I suspect our rigs have very similar performance. so yes, let's keep our fingers crossed, or I shall be getting deliveries of lots of new components that all "cost £29.99, darling........"

Rather than start another thread........has anyone seen the GeForce GTX 560 that Nvidia have recently introduced. Press release here

Nvidia says the GeForce GTX 560 will be able to handle things like PhysX-based game physics effects, 1080p resolutions and Nvidia's 3D Vision all with the lower price point. To prove it, they released a video showing off the GTX 560 running three games. One is the previously released fantasy MMO game Rift, but the other two games are the currently unreleased Duke Nukem Forever and Alice Madness Returns.

YouTube - Duke, Alice and the New GeForce GTX 560 Sneak Peek

Maybe they could have tested Battlefield 3 :laugh:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I don't think we are going to see Bulldozer until well into next year. And then there may be compatibility issues with my board. And it will be very expensive.
So, on that basis no, I don't think I will wait for AMD to start shipping...
It's a pretty well known fact that Bulldozer is out in a month or two.

AML

Prominent Member
Agree with others, best wait and see what happens.

Im waiting for LGA2011 mobos, new 6 or 8 core, Core i7 gen 2 chips, DDR4 memory?

GPUs change quite often so best wait for the next one to come. THEN get one of the current cards coz they will be dirt cheap lol

But if you can afford it go for the latest card.

Another good upgrade would be an SSD using SATA6.0 and 400mbps+ transfer speeds.

I think that will do BF3 and anything else that comes out over the next year or two!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom