Battlefield 2142

AML

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for this game. Might be a bit early but there is one interesting thing to see:

1153950350q1eh10nayy11lju3.jpg

There are also some pics/vids and some info at ign.com about the game.

Im actually looking forward to it. It has some cool ideas like the active camo and Titan.

Im starting to go off BF2 so I welcome BF 2142. Less classes to choose from is another bonus so we dont need to spend so much time "leveling up" class types we dont like.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/720/720219p1.html

I just can't see the future of war being some 2 legged walking thing though . Big target , slow to manouvre and unstable , makes everyone inside it puke if they go faster than 10mph , oh yes that's such an improvement over a tank or gunship!

im still not too keen on this idea of a game. it could have easily been a mod for BF2 as it will look the same and the whole titan thing is a very simple thing to add. the lack of kits is pathetic too if you ask me, BF2 had a great balance of kits to use. im sick of BF2 now though and this isnt that different imo, so i cant see me getting into it again.
this and the fact that it might be fantastic at launch and then a few months down the line be the worst game ever, ala BF2 with all the patches etc.
i think ill skip this round EA.

I think its coming before the end of the year.
I would immagine a Xmas release so as not to anger the BF2 fans too much.

Many folk are already saying that they should focus on fixing BF2 instead of making a new game. However, according to them, they have been working on it since they released BF2...

Im actually looking forward to it. I really like all the upgrades and new weapons you can unlock. It gives folk a reason to play it.

Unlocks are one of the main reason i got into BF2 and still play it today.
Trying to get that next medal or badge keeps people coming back.

Its true though that 2142 may not be the hit EA hope it will be.

the thing is, BF2 was awesome until they started screwing around with it. i think it was patch 1.12 where it all fell over. the whole game was being changed on the words of total newbs that didnt know anything about the game at all.
i mean, i used to love the fact that a chopper was so strong as it made you much more tactical trying to take it out and not just run around it trying to plant C4 :rolleyes: the same goes for tanks and APC's. they were made as tough as tin foil, thats no good. a soldier on foot is not meant to be able to take a tank/apc out ***, or a chopper for that matter. when these changes came in, i lost all respect for the game/EA/dice. they made it idiot proof more or less.
theres just nothing in this game that really impresses me tbh. not like when i first saw BF2, i was in awe at that. much like i am with quake wars :D

Im all for the realism, but when you are constantly being raped by tanks and helos, it gets quite irritating.
What EA/Dice did was make it more accessible to the masses. After all, thats what brings in the money.

The game does have its flaws, but then again, no game is ever perfect.

What they should have done is made maps where people could choose to fight infantry only. Other than that, make the same maps (karkand) and just give the admins the option to remove tanks and other armour.
(This is all being done/added in the 1.4 patch apparently. Guess we will have to wait and see.)

The fact that people spawn in the game takes away any realism to be had.

In Rainbow Six 3, you had to wait for the round to be over before you could join. And if you died, then thats it till the next round. Much more realistic, but hardly playable.

But just immagine how much more realistic things would be if they were like that. People would actually team up and work together. Watch out for each other and have balanced teams. And real tactics. Rather than camping and frag festing all the time.

The only downside I can think of is that everyone would be a medic!:rotfl:

I've tried to get into Battlefield 2, but alas I can't see what makes it so popular!

i never had a problem with any of the vehicles or choppers. yeah, i used to get killed but that made me adapt my playing to take it out. they changed it for the worse, bascially for the moaning wussies that couldnt learn how to play or that wanted to take on a tank with a knife :rolleyes:
oh wait, taking out a pre patch 'tough' tank would require teamwork ***.....

i agree bf2 is frustrating but bf2 special forces is much much better, hope theres and expansion for this expansion soon.

andyfoz said:
i agree bf2 is frustrating but bf2 special forces is much much better, hope theres and expansion for this expansion soon.

Yeah, spec ops does seem to be more balanced. Tanks are much less effective, and not due to less armour, but more due to the lay out of the maps.

I started a thread a few weeks back here with some more details :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354966

I still love BF2 and I have to say I'm not upset by most of the changes. EA / Dice have done a good job fixing map glitches and exploits and whilst they have removed a lot of functionality in general it's been to stop people from gaining an unfair advantage over less experienced players.(the removal of Bunny hoppers, n00b tubers, Dolphin Divers and others spring to mind)

Aircraft were vastly overpowered and this a is fact that EA / Dice have agreed with. When you were up against an inexperienced pilot you had a fair chance but a game could become vastly unbalanced if they had any degree of skill ... and an unbalanced game is fun for no one.

I never had a problem with Armour as "team work" was the way to defeat these.

The only change I'm a little annoyed with is the “vehicle drop” mainly because I get one dropped on my head whilst taking a flag

Oh and back on track for 2142, I am really looking forward to this :clap:

Deepcore said:
I started a thread a few weeks back here with some more details :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354966

I still love BF2 and I have to say I'm not upset by most of the changes. EA / Dice have done a good job fixing map glitches and exploits and whilst they have removed a lot of functionality in general it's been to stop people from gaining an unfair advantage over less experienced players.(the removal of Bunny hoppers, n00b tubers, Dolphin Divers and others spring to mind)

Aircraft were vastly overpowered and this a is fact that EA / Dice have agreed with. When you were up against an inexperienced pilot you had a fair chance but a game could become vastly unbalanced if they had any degree of skill ... and an unbalanced game is fun for no one.

I never had a problem with Armour as "team work" was the way to defeat these.

The only change I’m a little annoyed with is the “vehicle drop” mainly because I get one dropped on my head whilst taking a flag

Oh and back on track for 2142, I am really looking forward to this :clap:

Here, here!

Im looking forward to exploring the new BF2142 maps, weapons, and vehicles.

I have no interest in BF2142 at all TBH.

The reasons have already been mentioned so I wont bother going over them all again.....oh,maybe a little bit-EA/Dice released an extremley unbalanced game with BF2 which wouldnt have been too bad if they put all their efforts into trying to resolve the problems but instead they concentrated on making the extra few $ by releasing an expansion pack(which in many peoples opinion should have been included in the main game anyway)and 2 "booster packs" which with most other games would have been free(for instance Red Orchestra released a free update yesterday with a new map,new weapons and other extra features).

BF2 was also shipped with a grand total of ONE game mode!The reason the devs gave for this?It is because the BF series is synonymous with the conquest game mode and everyone loves it.......errrr,the only reasons the BF series is "synonymous"with that mode is because the lazy ass devs only ever released the BF games with that mode and people play it because theres no alternative,personally I hate it,and even slight alterations like Advance and Secure are a huge improvement!

BF2142 just seems like a very lame attempt at preventing their players leaving in droves for Enemy Territory:Quake wars:rolleyes: ,apart from the titan mode it is just the same old BF with some new skins and you can guarantee any "new ideas" have been lifted from other games(some of the similarities with Planetside are massive).

I could go on,and on and on....but I think it is clear that I am no longer a great fan of Dices current policies.

So,bearing all of the above in mind am I going to be giving EA/Dice my hard earned for their next rip off attempt?Not :censored: likely!Lets hope others feel the same way so Dice have to review their current policies:lease:

Mr Jason B said:
most other games would have been free(for instance Red Orchestra released a free update yesterday with a new map,new weapons and other extra features).

The next patch (currently in beta, 1.4 i think) has a new map, new game mode (infantry only) and quite a few fixes.

If you really want to see a poor attempt at patching and poor customer service have and look at SOE and Star Wars Galaxies, why I played (..and payed) for nearly 2 years is beyond me :suicide:

AML said:
Im all for the realism, but when you are constantly being raped by tanks and helos, it gets quite irritating.

The game does have its flaws, but then again, no game is ever perfect.

What they should have done is made maps where people could choose to fight infantry only. Other than that, make the same maps (karkand) and just give the admins the option to remove tanks and other armour.

The fact that people spawn in the game takes away any realism to be had.

But just immagine how much more realistic things would be if they were like that. People would actually team up and work together. Watch out for each other and have balanced teams. And real tactics. Rather than camping and frag festing all the time.

The only downside I can think of is that everyone would be a medic!:rotfl:

Should give PRMM a go then. see www.realitymod.com

It's a mod for bf2 where the realism factor is more important. Like 30 second spwan times plus 1 second extra for ever time you die. This then makes you work much more as a sqaud etc as you can't just go running around getting killed an spawning 15 seconds later.

Also the server we have (www.imgoingin.co.uk) for PRMM, we have removed all the tanks. heli's planes etc so it is just infantry v infantry etc.

much more fun.

Also when the new patch is due they are adding in British army and also some form of kit limiting options so that you don;t end up with 20 snipers/support each side.

Really good full mod - plays excellent - loads of new maps etc. well worth a look, personally not played BF2 vanilla since i started playing PRMM. (project reality mini mod).

Our server is usually full (50 players) most nights and is great fun without getting the usually helicopers/planes etc murdering you evertime!!

Thanks will give it a look. Just a pity they don't allow Mods to be ranked :(

2142 is looking good, and things like Walkers are the future cause they can handle all terrain types although Bipedal is stretching it quadrapedal for extra stabilisation is in development.

Anyways they are just ripping off many a game for ideas, just hope it works well, the patches really ruined BF2 for me, taking out armored vehicles was an achievement now its cake, nothing like sneaking round as spec ops waiting for your moment to strike or running from cover to cover as AT picking your moments to shoot.

Deepcore said:
Thanks will give it a look. Just a pity they don't allow Mods to be ranked :(
prmm is ranked.

it uses a system called - "ABR" - alternative battlefield ranking.

Same idea as normal BF2 ranks - but no weapon unlocks so there is no advantage for players that have played for ages/or a new player.

Might give that mod a go. But I still want BF2142 :D

AML said:
Might give that mod a go. But I still want BF2142 :D

yeah me to - but prmm does create a lot more team play/squad play and even just for some new maps generates a bit more new interest.

like i say check www.imgoingin.co.uk for server details - always busy but a good laugh.

but BF2 should all be about the rank/unlocks/advantage the more you play. thats what i loved about it, earning stuff to give you an advantage in the game. its just idiotic to play a game that long without getting anything from it, if youre new to the game, then tough crap. LEARN it! dont go winging to EA for them to change it round, wait...... too late :oops:
people also need to learn that vehicles are meant to be tougher than a small rabbit too. and the planes are meant to devastate people, if you hear/see one coming in, dont just stand there like a clown, get to cover! winging about this also got the game changed and it aided vet pilots too much as newbies just couldnt take enough damage to get away and learn enough. (me included)

True about the weapons upgrades being an advantage.
When I got my first couple of unlocks I was loving it coz i was decimating people who were still using the regular guns.

Now everyone has every unlock available and theres no advantage to people who have been playing longer.
It makes it pointles to have unlocks if everyone has them!

As Booyaka said, have a look at our server and website. The PRMM mod is really excellent and has some great team play.

I might be getting BF2142, but not 100% sure as EA have done an excellent job of making BF2 worse and have more problems with every patch they release so I have no confidence in the same team making a similar game that works properly.

Thats why I only play PRMM now. Excellent mod with a big update coming to it in the next month or so.

omg from reading this you would think the game was unplayable which is far from the truth, i agree ea should do more about jets/pilots but what?

yes ill be paying for bf2142 its bound to be as good or better than bf2.

paying a monthly subscription to a game is a joke, if this were to become the case with bf2142 i would give it a miss :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom