Battlefield 2142 Help

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by gungho, May 8, 2007.

1. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please help me.

It all started with 1.2 patch, I installed ok from EA link but when I went to play a server I got kicked by punkbuster, went to punkbuster and updated, tried again still kicked me.

In the meantime got the Northern Front mod, installed it and can't even get into a server now because tells me my version of Bf is wrong.

So, drastic measures uninstalled completely but kept my profiles, tried to reinstall but now gives error message and won't let me install the game at all!!!!!!

Has anyone any ideas, I'm thinking corrupt registration file on my PC or something like that..

Please help

Thanks Gungho

2. dan536

dan536

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you tried deleting your cache?

C:\DocumentsandSettings\YOURNAME\MyDocuments\Battlefield2142\mods\bf2142\cache

This info is stored sever side so it'll be back there the next time you log in. It also won't delete any profiles.

It's fixed a couple of problems for me in the past.

Edit: That's the last time I offer help for this game. Started playing this afternoon myself and am now experiencing freezes. Had to reinstall myself. Fingers crossed.

3. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    do you use mcafee firewall ??

if so thats your problem the new 1.25 patch and mcafee don't get on

4. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan
    thanks for tip will try deleting cache and see what happens.

Fuzzybee I got Norton corporate on my machine and it never causes problems with anything, but thanks for replying

Gungho

5. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    What message are you getting when you are kicked. Punkbuster usually tells you why you've been kicked. For example, Ping too high, Excessive Teamkilling, Modified Core files or running a known crack.

If the message is just "Connection lost" then it's not Punkbuster so I'd check your network connections and any firewall virus checkers you have running.

Have you also updated to 1.25 ?

6. dan536

dan536

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No problem.

Had to do a total reinstall myself - due to the freezes which came out of nowhere.

Reinstalled, patched with latest patch, installed NS and everything is working really well.

I can even alt-tab to desktop now without it crashing for some reason.

Might be worth doing the same if you can't sort anything.

7. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deepcore

I can't remember exact message but it's not for team killing, high ping, or hax and cracks as I don't use them.

Can't even check now as game is uninstalled and I can't get it to reinstall.

The game installs about the first 10% then errors and says cannot perform install try again later. ??????

Gonna try Dan's suggestions and then back to drawing board.

Gungho

8. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Was never trying to suggest that your a "l33t Haxorrrrrrrr !!!!!111111oneoneeleventyone", just trying to give an example of the sorts of megssages you can get. :smashin:

Are you using a downloaded version of BF2142 to install from via EA Link or do you have the DVD, I'm confused by the "cannot perform install try again later" message.

Where possible I try to avoid EA link and just download the patch and install it manually. Steer clear of incremental patches and go for the full patch, it's usually around 200 meg.

9. stan_blade

stan_blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anybody here been getting severe lag yesterday(Tuesday) and today on BF2142? :thumbsdow

I have not changed my system and have played a variety of games (small /medium maps and titan mode) and still I get extreme choppyness on everything I join.
    Everything was fine easter Monday and I have even tried reverting my PC to a previous restore point.
    Could it be my ISP (F2S) or router playing up? I have even reinstalled punkbuster but still no good.

any suggestions gladly welcome. :lease:

10. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    deepcore

got BF installed onto my machine now, updated to 1.25 tried to join a server and punkbuster kicked me out saying modified version of BF revert to original version.

GOt me confused coz everything I've put on is official. Patches are from EA link but they are 278 adn 248MB in size so they should be full patch.

It's really annoying me now as i'm close to another promotion :)

Gungho

11. dan536

dan536

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes - both me and a friend who lives about 130 miles away have both been experiencing more lag than usual. Him more than me, but for apparently no reason. Could be coincidence - but maybe not.

12. dan536

dan536

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Did you try clearing out your registry following the uninstall?

Also - I always use 'gameshadow' for downloading updates to games. It seems to support most games and the download speeds are very fast (had up to 4.8 Mb/s yesterday).

When I reinstalled it downloaded a full 1 patch and took about 5 mins to install them one after another up to 1.25.

Also - I assume your using the punkbuster setup program (pbsetup.exe) to update punkbuster. If not - head to http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php and download it. Add BF2142 to the list and hit update.

Ta. (and good luck)

13. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Are you using a No-DVD Patch ?

14. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan

thanks for pointer will try that, gonna try and d/l 1.25 again from another site then update punkbuster.

Deepcore

not using any cracks or hacks, just getting fed up.

If all else fails the game is going in the bin:thumbsdow

Quake Wars is due out soon :thumbsup: so I will turn my attentions to that, the game looks amazing, just hope my machine will run it.

Gungho

15. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I understand the idea of punkbuster but sometimes it can be a real pain in the :censored:

16. dan536

dan536

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just another thought - do you have a firewall running?

If yes - have you allowed the two processes:

PnkBstrA.exe amd PnkBstrB.exe access to do stuff (not necessarily access to internet). These two system processes are new to Punkbuster and I know some people who haven't let them do what they want to do have run into problems.

e.g. - I have zonealarm and it asked me if they could have access or something ages ago and I hit deny because I didn't know what they were, did some research and then had to delete there entries from zonealarm and allow it next time they asked.

Can you tell I've had a few issues with this game in the past?:rolleyes:

17. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just use firewall within windows and have Norton Corporate running which I've never had problems with before.

I do feel pretty cheesed off as I bought Northern Strike when it was released and I've never played it yet.

I am in the process of building a new PC so I might wait till thats done and then i have a virgin machine to install to.:clap:

BTW any thoughts SLI cards if I get 2 for about 80 quid each will it give better performance than a 350 quid top of range jobbie:confused:

Gungho

18. dan536

dan536

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Fair play - would be pretty annoyed myself.

As for SLI - I have no experience of it myself, but from all I read it seems that the best solution is to get one good card rather than 2 in SLI.

A £350 card would be definitely better than 2 £80 in SLI. I have a 8800gtx in my brand new system and in all benchmark tests on sites it beats 2 single cards.

Have a look at http://tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/graphicscards/index.html

for some ideas.

19. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dan thanks for link and opinion:D :D :D

20. stan_blade

stan_blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I tried playing again yesterday and found no issues with lag on various servers that I tried. :clap:
    I had not changed any config on my PC or router. So its all a bit of a mystery to me. :confused:
    My windows software firewall is now set to allow punkbuster anyway.

Thanks to anyone who suggested fixes.

21. Spunky_Monkey

Spunky_Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Gungho,

I had massive of problems with bf2142, but have managed to solve all of them.

When you installed the 1.25 patch does it say it has successfully installed? Mine always failed as I did not have enough hard drive space to install the patch (you need about 2.5gb) If the patch doesn't successfully install, it allows you to join servers and gives the exact message you have.

Once I realised it was a space issue, I delete loads of programs and reinstalled the patch.. same problem. I then unistalled bf2142 and re-installed the 1.20 patch, then installed northern strike and then the latest 1.25 patch and it worked fine.

Don't forget when unistalling to reset your pc before installing again.

Also check out bf2142 tracker forum..

http://bf2142tracker.com/

Everyone is really helpful on there and it is also nice to know your not along with bf2142 problems.

22. Spunky_Monkey

Spunky_Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    What days and times were you trying to play? EA have server maintenance at certain days and times:

Standard Maintenance Window
    Tuesday:
    08:00 - 11:00 UK GMT (UTC)
    09:00 - 12:00 EU Continental Standard Time
    00:00 - 03:00 US Pacific Standard Time
    01:00 - 04:00 US Mountain Standard Time
    02:00 - 05:00 US Central Time
    03:00 - 06:00 US Eastern Time
    06:00 - 09:00 Eastern Australian Time

Emergency Maintenance Window
    Thursday:
    08:00 - 11:00 UK GMT (UTC)
    09:00 - 12:00 EU Continental Standard Time
    00:00 - 03:00 US Pacific Standard Time
    03:00 - 04:00 US Mountain Standard Time
    04:00 - 05:00 US Central Time
    05:00 - 06:00 US Eastern Time
    06:00 - 09:00 Eastern Australian Time

The times aren't very accurate and I find that when they are being maintained, 1 of 2 things happens;

1. Can't even log in to play bf
    2. Can log to play, but there is no point trying as every server regardless of size runs like a pile of poo

23. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    BF2142 has some major issues that EA don't seem to be addressing, the punkbuster programme doesn't always update itself so you have to do it manually

http://www.punksbusted.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t11755.html

download it and place it in your pb folder in your EA/Battlefield2142 folder and run the programme, add bF2142 then check for updates.

this should update punkbuster to the latest version

also check your firewall isn't blocking PB-a and PB-b in your block list, as this happened to me with the 1.25 patch and once i allowed them both my BF2142 runs flawlessly now(this is linked to Mcafee which i no longer use)

i used to get an error message something like Punkbuster ffff0001 or ffff0002 this is linked to losing key packets resulting in being kicked from servers after around 10 - 60 seconds of logging on, doing the above solved my problem

24. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spunky and Fuzzy

Thanks guys, this may renew hope of playing BF again. I had resigned myself to not playing it and never even seeing what NS looked like.

I had been doing a bit of reserach on the forum's myself but they suggested changing register entries as they have blocked certain ones that a lot of people are using.

Last time I tried I didn't get a punkbuster error, it just said that the version I was using is not compatible with BF2142 and to revert back to the original unmodified game.

But my version is pukka official copy no cracks official updates form EA and NS which I've bought and never played.

Will try to get to work tonight, last one though if it doesn't work after this its coming off my machine and I'll stick with CS:S

Thanks

Gungho

25. Spunky_Monkey

Spunky_Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Don't give up hope, NS is excellent. If you do get it working feel free to add me as a friend, my user name is Spunky_Munkey. :)

26. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    NS is pants imo and should have been a free upgrade implemented into the patch, it doesn't enhance BF2142 whatsoever,

if anyone fancys a game on our server look us up it's the *{EES}* ranked server

i play under the name *{EES}*Eagle-Eyes

gungho regarding the GC and whether to go SLI with two £80 cards the answer is no, get the best single card you can afford,
    i have just built one myself with a BFG 8800GTX and BF2142 simply flies with it.
    It has even cured the lag i thought i was getting but it turns out it was my old system struggling with the game a little and not lag at all

27. gungho

gungho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I ever get onto BF I will definately be adding you to my favourites and come chasing you with my knife.

My BF tag is Gung_ho btw.

thanks for everything guys and fingers crossed can sort it out tonite.

28. CJ90000

CJ90000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    bf2142 is really driving me up the wall. Ive tried everything :(

Basically it lets me play for around 45 mins or a little longer then suddenly my screen freezes; i get a sound loop and im chucked back to the server screen with a "connection lost" message.
    I then have to quit bf2142 and wait maybe about 30 seconds and my wireless connection will come on again (box in bottom right hand corner will say im now connected even though it never said i was NOT connected)

I had initially thought this was to do with EA, punkbuster etc but after uninstalling bf2142 and PB a couple of times then re-installing and patching to 1.25 and the error still occuring i'm now inclined to believe its something to do with my SKY wireless broadband connection.
    The weird thing is it only started happening about 3 months ago. I downloaded a sky bounce program (monitors my net access and makes sure i can ping websites etc)

Maybe its just that its a wireless connection and they are rubbish for gaming. If that was the case then why was it great for about 6 months? My other suspicion is SKY because at the moment im paying £5 for their SKY MID package but i havent been switched over to their server. So im still on the BT server. So bt are handling errors and problems etc its possible they dont give priority to users who are not their own customers i dont know.

Really dont know what else it is. If someone could wave a magic wand and fix it i would be grateful!!

29. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I am having a strange peroblems leately that when I try to load up a game, it will get to around 60% then stop loading the map????

tried it will 2 different firewalls running, but still the same??

been running fine for months, however cannot now seem to get it to work, can anyone help please???

30. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    OK I have found the culprit, its a bad punkbuster file that was updated on 10th may , go to this site...

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

and run pbsetup.exe for windows

now go though and select bf2142 and update

now reboot your pc.

should be ok now :smashin: