Battlefield 2042 (Series X|S)

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
DICE have finally acknowledged Battlefield 6 is coming. Gameplay hasn't been revealed yet, but after a bit of a departure from what people loved about Battlefield in BF1 and BFV, it sounds like they're going back to the glory years and Battlefield moments. Hopefully it will be back to modern combat as well.

Edit: Updated thread title.

Last edited:

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I've seen rumours they may be skipping Xbox One and PS4, which I would be happy with, as developing cross-gen always has a knock on effect on the latest hardware's version.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
I’ve heard the same, no last gen version as they’re going for 128 players! If that’s true the maps had better be flipping huge otherwise it’s just going to be carnage!

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Can't wait to see a reveal of some kind, been playing Cod the last year or so, but its not a patch on Battlefield from the glory days of the franchise, BFV was a disaster, so much messing around constantly tweaking the core mechanics in patches.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Just had a thought, Battlefield 6 might be the wrong thread title, as so far they're just referring to the new game as Battlefield. Will wait and see as more details are released.

woody10381

Rumours abound that it will support cross play between Series X/S & PS5, really hoping that doesn't include PC and their hacking mob though........

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Amongst my gaming friends, I've banged on about console cross-play in multiplayer for years. At the end of the day, you're going to buy these multiplatform titles on your preferred console anyway, so why wouldn't you want a bigger pool of players to play with. Also helps to keep multiplayer games alive for longer. I know it's not a direct comparison to a FPS and mouse and keyboard is less of an issue, but just look at how many players are on Rocket League thanks to its cross-play.

woody10381

Agree with these sentiments entirely but taking into account how badly hackers have afflicted the recent CoD titles and the prolonged time it takes to ban the culprits or address it in any way shape or form - then I can't see a player base being maintained long-term if BF6 suffers the same way.

Being consistently owned by keyboard and mouse jockeys would irritate me to some extent, but certainly tolerable compared to aimbots, wall-hacks or whatever else these loser hackers do to spoil things for everyone else.

Last edited:

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
The key for me is keep it between console players and exclude PC, which makes sense anyway for controller vs controller and not having mouse and keyboard in the mix.

I don't know if the situation with hackers on the latest CoD is exclusively because of PC players or not, but I've never heard of such problems before when it's just the console player base of CoD, Battlefield, etc.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I've heard rumours that it will be next gen only, and confirmed screenshot leaks show it'll be set in modern times, Thank God! Many expect the next COD to be yet another WW2 setting. So for me I'm stoked for BF6, I much prefer the modern day settings for multiplayers like these. It's going to keep the destructive environments too.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I hope they go back to the assignment tracking system from Battlefield 4, where all assignments are being tracked all the time, instead of the stupid BFV system of having to select four to track. It's a pain when you switch weapons during a match, but then can't swap out the relevant assignment for the weapon you've just changed to. So much wasted progress in BFV because of this assignment system.

PaulieW

I just hope it’s better than BFV. Just couldn’t get into this release. IMO the worst BF game in the series (excluding Hardline). Dice has got to get BF right this time.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
What I’d like is a hybrid spotting system from previous BF games and BFV. When first playing BFV it was one of the major differences, getting used to shooting first rather than spotting first, then shooting. Spotting had become a crutch and BFV got me out of the habit of shooting at orange doritos.

When we went back and played BF4 and BF1 we found spotting to be a bit of a pain, and really missed not being able to put a marker down. Problem with the old spotting is if there isn’t anyone there to spot you can’t put a general marker down to indicate to squad mates the general direction of the enemy, or which building they’re hiding in.

What I’d like to see is a combination of both systems. A short press to spot as in BF3, BF4 etc. and a long press to put down a marker. I think that would be the best of both worlds for me.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Really hope it's like BF4 as I liked the gameplay/combat and I enjoyed the way the gear/attachments unlocks worked.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
I see leaked images from the trailer show a rocket taking off and an Osprey in the sky, so it's definitely set in modern times. Looking forward to it.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
And a hybrid spotting system 😁
I've played a bit of BF4 recently and I really don't think spotting adds to the game in anyway. BFV gets this right for me. It makes the gameplay more organic. Flanks are much more viable. The mechanic whereby suppression reveals you is a good one. But in BF4 you flank fire one bullet and suddenly 5 guns all turn on you. Its just not as fluid.

z5461313

Yes I thought BF V had it right. Could have been great BF V if they had stopped messing around with it

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't miss the old spotting mechanic if it never came back to the series.

I would like to see snipers having a harder time aiming when being supressed and taking fire. It's annoying when you're supressing one that's miles away, dealing damage, even landing headshots, then they still just line up a headshot and one hit kill you.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't miss the old spotting mechanic if it never came back to the series.

I would like to see snipers having a harder time aiming when being supressed and taking fire. It's annoying when you're supressing one that's miles away, dealing damage, even landing headshots, then they still just line up a headshot and one hit kill you.

Agree with all of this. And of course this is where the PC crowd and console crowd diverge. Suppression with any weapon made sniping on PC ridiculous since with KB&M you can snipe with AR's across the map relatively easily - there was no real reason not to use an AR. Yet on console snipers prospered too much when suppression was removed because well its not hard lying in a bush and getting headshots when you know your TTK if you can hit is far lower than the guy shooting at you.

But it needs thinking about. Sniping got annoying in BFV. I'm a bad sniper yet even I could do it with ease.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited