Battlefield 1942 - great game

z5461313

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you have seen this game but if you like playing PC games you have to buy this

Its like unreal tournament but in the 2nd world war. You fight in teams and have to capture strategic locations on a map such as Stalingrad, Battle of the Bulge, Berlin, Omaha beach. There are 16 maps to choose

The single player is real fun. If you have read bad reviews about this do not be put off as it is fun. Just trying out the different vehicles to drive them is fun such as planes, tanks, landing craft, aa guns. There are so many different ones you can try

You can also play people on the Internet. For this you really need broadband but if you don't have, this is a good excuse to get it. UPDATE - ISDN 64K works ok with the All Seeing Eye software

For example - playing the battle for Kursk I was on the Russian side. Kursk is a bombed out town with a number of strategic bridges you have to get over. So I was a bazooka man. Running forward behind a teammates russian tank we neared the bridge. Explosions and machine gun fire all around from the Germans across the river. German stuka dive bomber planes were going overhead. I ducked to try and avoid the fire. The Russian tank was firing away. Then it bought it. So I was crawling trying to get onto the bridge but german infantry and a tank were on the other side. Then to my surprise rockets started going over my head towards the germans. I looked back and someone had brought up a mobile Russian rocket launcher. Just to see the rockets suddenly go over head was amazing. It got the german tank... the fight continued

The beauty is the next time you play it it will be different also

So well recommended to get this game

I bought the best graphics card you can get in order to enjoy BF1942.
I like being the sniper with the binoculars targetting enemy positions and also controlling the artillery firing at targetted positions.
Yesterday I was flying a plane, got shot down near an enemy aircraft carrier, bailed out and parachuted into the sea. Swam to the carrier and climbed up the ropes over the side. Threw a grenade into a landing craft and killed 5 Japanese soldiers before climbing on deck and into a zero where I took off and continued straffing enemy tanks.
Brilliant game.

Thats a great story

Talking about graphics cards I have a Geforce 3 original and Battlefield 1942 looks great on it. I have quincux anti-aliasing turned on and environment mapping switched on and its looks great

Best game I have seen with this card was Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Some of the environments were picture perfect

Got this game at the weekend and have been plaing it online every day since then. Favorite is the tanks, a real blast creaping up behind another tank and blowing it up before it can respond and then machine gunning support troops from the turret.:D

How is the lag?

I played the demo and the lag was horrendous for close in fighting.

Hi

It depends on your modem, no of players and the ping number

If you have a 56K modem then join a game with smaller number of players. If you have broadband then it will give you a faster game. In fact this is the best option as you can play it all day and it does not cost you anything ( just the monthly subscription is what you pay )

Also join a game where it displays a low ping number to you. People recommend < 100

Buy the All Seeing Eye software to find the fastest servers for you

It would probably be wise to point out that it isn't worth buying this if you are not going to play multiplayer.

The single player campaign is way too short and the AI is quite frankly rubbish.

If you are thinking about buying a current single player FPS, then NOLF2 offers a far better game.

However i would agree multiplayer BF1942 is excellent :)

Hehe, yup I was talking about a DSL/Cable connection. I have been using broadband for two years now. I currently moved house with no broadband and I refuse to connect a modem up. Call me snobbish, but I would never touch 56K ever again. Would rather go without than remind myself of what I am missing.

The problem with Battlefield is the amount of packet loss, the pings constantly jump from 30-150. That is unacceptable in online play, compared to CS, Battlefields demo netcode was useless. It was fun for a while but after the novelty it got a little tiresome being unable to kill someone unless you were lucky or 2 yards away.... usually having to be both :p

Hi

I use ADSL and I don't have problems with killing people. It is just good fun all the time. There is a patch out now 1.1 perhaps this would help. Also there is a blood patch out that lets you see blood as a recognition that you have hit some one

You guys must be in BT's supposed 95% national coverage :rolleyes:

Only wish i could either get ADSL or Cable, but can't get either and i only live 8 miles out of Cambridge.

Oh well, looks like i will have to wait till my company pays for me to Satellite Broadband, which hopefully should be soon

This was originally announced for the XBox as well as PC, but has now gone very quiet. Does anybody have any idea as to whether or not it will actually be coming out - and if so, when?

I love playing it on the PC, but 4 player split screen on my Dad's projector has got to be pretty special.

EffTee

BF1942 is the best game of its genre that i have played for quite some time.

You have to have a good graphics card though and broadband is a must. I have played on a server with a mate on dialup and every time he connects it drags the play right down as his slow connection seems to slow everyone else down too. Darn it!

Looking forward to the next patch to sort out the bugs though. Will 'they' ever get a game right first time?!?! :confused:

You have to see some things to believe them

Last night I was playing against the Germans, there was a German Stuka dive bomber causing all sort of chaos with its bombing. So what happened next was I saw a spitfire tailing him and strafing the bomber - it was a real dogfight and you could just watch it going on overhead. You could here the machine guns of the spitfire. The stuka started smoking and was shot down.

Market Garden also is really authentic. You start by parachuting in. What happens next is you get all the control points and then the german tanks start coming over the bridge. You only have bazookas against them so you have to dart in and out of the buildings while shooting them and the tanks are blasting your buildings to bits. You can just watch the battle sometimes and it looks amazing

just to add my 2 pennies worth

just buy it - this game is astounding - cant believe how good it is

oh and dial up connections are just fine when the patch is added the server you use is more important than the connection - stick to the eauk***** servers and you will be fine with a modem. dont worry - just buy it.

granted your score will not be as good as the cable modem guys but I can still get in the top 4/5 players of most games.

why are you still reading ... go buy .,,,, shooo..... now

oh and as for the single player - not nearly as bad as people make out - the bots are very human - ie sometimes good and sometimes just sit staring in to space - just like many players - still makes for a good game

oh and you can also play a mix of bots and humans - great if you have 2 pcs in the house and need some extra canon fodder

andy

Anyone else desperately waiting for the 1.2 patch?

Went over to the dark side - XP - and find that my game is so slow in comparison to ME.

Please, please, please EAQ, get the patch out now!! :mad:

At least yours will run. Having gone from ME to XP I ended up with ME as a dual boot because games would just crash at random. This might be 1 second or 10 minutes in - but it happens every time. Oh well - doesn't stop me looking forward to the patch either, if only to make my Tiger as tough as it should be :)

EffTee

I am really getting into this world war 2 multiplayer stuff.

I have played Deadly dozen pacific theatre online and its pretty good.

Is battlefield that much better then the rest like MOH?

also I have a duron 1200 with 512mb + ti4200 will that sufice?

Yes your rig is way good enough - dont worry just but it.

and yes it is way better than medal of honour - multiplayer that is - cant beat moh for single player :)

anyway off to play again - damn addictive game it is

andy

Add on due out in Jan. Road to Rome.......dreading it !! Loads more long nights on the pc. Buy this game ....but if youre going online you do need broadband

Hi

I agree just buy this game and it keeps me up all night also

ISDN is not too bad actually. With the All Seeing Eye software it finds quicker ping times. 24 players is ok for with ISDN 128k. Its quite smooth

Have to resist playing one more time tonight

okay where is the cheapest place to buy?

Have you ever seen an invasion of a Japanese island by American troops?

This is what I watched last night.

It was the Battle of Midway and the Americans had captured all the sea points, but not the island ones, which we needed to win the game. All the Americans were manning the ships. The Japanese held the island.

So I asked them all to invade the island so we could capture this also ( I was in a submarine guarding the sea flags ).

After a while the invasion started ( the other players had actually listened to my advice ) and I was able to watch it via my periscope up.

A big American battleship arrived on the coast and started firing its guns at the island. Meanwhile there were many many landing craft departing from the big battleship and making their way to the island. I was able to watch them launch into the water from the sides of the battleship and crash through the waves towards the island. When they landed on the beaches I was able to see all these American soldiers running up the sand and into the distance firing away. From then on I could just see massive explosions on the island as the battle raged on.

The tatic worked and we won the game as the Japanese did not recover.

Playing this game you see some really classic moments

Had a LAN party this weekend, and although we intended on playing Day of Defeat, we ended up playing BF1942 all weekend. Brilliant multi-player game.

I finally decided to take a look at the single-player yesterday, and yes it's pretty crap. The AI is either too good (picking you off from miles away) or completely stupid. (keeps running in single file while a scout kills a whole squad with a pistol :) )

But, as a multiplayer game, it's incredible. We played this weekend, with one guy manning artillery, a couple tank engineers, a kamikaze pilot (is there any other kind?) and me running Scout calling in artillery wherever necessary. Just amazing.

Well it doesn't look like anyone's posted this yet so I'll do so. 1.2 is now available and corrects so many issues. It improves single player AI so they stop jumping out of tanks & other vehicles. Your crosshairs now register hits, etc. get the 1.2 patch & get the game.

Man I need broadband.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom